Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Whenever we go deep we bring at least one chainsaw in the group. Really, just about anytime I go on something that isn't a "major road." Even a well-maintained fireroad can have downed trees. A lot of people's attitude is "we'll just turn back if we have to." But what if you're on an out-and-back route and a tree falls across your path once you've already gone past, but you still need to come back through the same way to get out?

-TJ
Big tires,lift, skidplates and a winch will get you back. I just carry a machete to trim the branches to hop it if its too big to winch out of the way. You could even use other smaller logs, rocks or even a spare tire to make ramps to get over it if its too big for you to outright drive over. Where there is a will there is a way.

Reactions: Buckaroo

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Big tires,lift, skidplates and a winch will get you back. I just carry a machete to trim the branches to hop it if its too big to winch out of the way. You could even use other smaller logs, rocks or even a spare tire to make ramps to get over it if its too big for you to outright drive over. Where there is a will there is a way.
Maybe if you're talking about small to medium size trees. I live in NorCal and we go in the Sierras a lot, lots of those trees are about as big around as your average rig is tall. Granted, I haven't encountered one downed that big - but I doubt most Overland rigs are setup to get over even a 24" circumference tree when it's down. I also go out deep in the Payette National Forrest (in Idaho) often. Unfortunately there have been many BIG burns there over the last 10-15 years. It's nature's way, and it's all recovering, but you still go through sections where either side of the trail is nothing but dead, but still-standing trees for miles and miles. If a good wind kicks up before you come back through you might have dozens of downed trees to contend with. It makes for a REALLY long day trying to crawl/winch over trees every hundred yards. A saw makes quick work of it (though the winch is still handy to drag them out of the way. Sure, if the saw quit or for some reason we didn't have one we'd figure something out - but why not just bring it?

-TJ

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Maybe if you're talking about small to medium size trees. I live in NorCal and we go in the Sierras a lot, lots of those trees are about as big around as your average rig is tall. Granted, I haven't encountered one downed that big - but I doubt most Overland rigs are setup to get over even a 24" circumference tree when it's down. I also go out deep in the Payette National Forrest (in Idaho) often. Unfortunately there have been many BIG burns there over the last 10-15 years. It's nature's way, and it's all recovering, but you still go through sections where either side of the trail is nothing but dead, but still-standing trees for miles and miles. If a good wind kicks up before you come back through you might have dozens of downed trees to contend with. It makes for a REALLY long day trying to crawl/winch over trees every hundred yards. A saw makes quick work of it (though the winch is still handy to drag them out of the way. Sure, if the saw quit or for some reason we didn't have one we'd figure something out - but why not just bring it?

-TJ
I dont have good luck with 2 strokes and i dont think that an electric saw would get through what you have described, im used to trees around 15" to around 25" thick laying down . I have around 16" ground clearance on my truck sometimes i just slide over them like its a rock. I do have an axe strapped to my hilift just in case but both are never used just deadweight/insurance sitting in the bed. I would love to carry a chainsaw but i know with my history ill be spending most of my time having to fix it.

Buckaroo

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Bramley, Rotherham, South Yorkshire Forest, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
CB Handle: Buckaroo, UK FM Ch.30
lots of those trees are about as big around as your average rig is tall. Granted, I haven't encountered one downed that big - but I doubt most Overland rigs are setup to get over even a 24" circumference tree when it's down.
-TJ
Your average chainsaw ain't gonna cut through it to clear a path either.
T.N.T perhaps? LOL

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

Most of the trees I've come across in the midwest are not very big. I don't think anyone plans on having something for every possible scenario, but more aloing the lines of things they've experienced or seen. I do carry a chain so that I can winch or drag a tree that is able to be moved. You can use a snatch block to pull it at an angle that gets it off a road. As for chain saws, space is just too much of a premium for me in my Wrangler, so smaller folding hand saws and a small axe is as much as I've carried..

That said, I noticed Harbor Freight has a nice cordless 20v 10" chain saw that would help with pretty much every tree I've personally encountered. It is about 80 bucks plus a battery and charger. I don't know what it weighs, though, but you won't have to worry about spilling fuel (Chain oil still could be an issue). It looks like it would be fairly light. DeWalt makes a 12" 20v saw for $130. 20v Chainsaw It weighs only 8.8 lbs, so that's better than I'd imagined.

Another big advantage is that since there are no emissions, It can also be used indoors around Christmas time, for lopping the top off a newel post, if necessary.

I know, it won't help with a redwood or seqoia, but I don't think a Boeing Chinook would help in that situation, either. There's always something that even the rig with everything won't be able to handle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Desert Runner

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Most of the trees I've come across in the midwest are not very big. I don't think anyone plans on having something for every possible scenario, but more aloing the lines of things they've experienced or seen. I do carry a chain so that I can winch or drag a tree that is able to be moved. You can use a snatch block to pull it at an angle that gets it off a road. As for chain saws, space is just too much of a premium for me in my Wrangler, so smaller folding hand saws and a small axe is as much as I've carried..

That said, I noticed Harbor Freight has a nice cordless 20v 10" chain saw that would help with pretty much every tree I've personally encountered. It is about 80 bucks plus a battery and charger. I don't know what it weighs, though, but you won't have to worry about spilling fuel (Chain oil still could be an issue). It looks like it would be fairly light. DeWalt makes a 12" 20v saw for $130. 20v Chainsaw It weighs only 8.8 lbs, so that's better than I'd imagined.

Another big advantage is that It can also be used indoors around Christmas time, for lopping the top off a newel post, if necessary.

I know, it won't help with a redwood or seqoia, but I don't think a Boeing Chinook would help in that situation, either. There's always something that even the rig with everything won't be able to handle.

If you do decide to go with the 20v chainsaw be sure to get extra batteries, i have a worx 20v weed eater 2 batteries gets about 30 min of light weedeating done and maybe 20min if im trying to eat the thick grass. 20v would definately cut good but it probably wont stay charged very long. Having said that i eyball those saws everytime im in harbor freight thinking how much nicer it would be than chopping a log by hand.

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

If you do decide to go with the 20v chainsaw be sure to get extra batteries, i have a worx 20v weed eater 2 batteries gets about 30 min of light weedeating done and maybe 20min if im trying to eat the thick grass. 20v would definately cut good but it probably wont stay charged very long. Having said that i eyball those saws everytime im in harbor freight thinking how much nicer it would be than chopping a log by hand.
I try to stay out of Harbor Freight because I can't get out of there without spending a bunch of money!

The DeWalt claims a single charge is worth 90 4x4 cuts, so that sounds pretty good! With either one, I'd thoroughly test it to determine how many batteries would be sufficient. I'm always obsessing about the weight of my rig, lol!

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

The Stihl Farm Boss (with a 20" bar) I carry would take some time to work its way through a 36" diameter tree.... but it can be done, the bar is still over half the diameter. FWIW I also have a ton of Dewalt 20V tools, and carry a good selection when Overlanding/wheeling (if you recall my story about my last trip, we used my Dewalt 20V impact, impact sockets and torque sticks to change my buddy's flat) but I don't think I'd want to count on batteries for my saw. To be fair, I've never tried a Dewalt 20V chainsaw, so I could be totally wrong and 90 4x4 cuts sounds impressive.

-TJ

Reactions: Wallygator

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Dang, that's impressive! I would wager a guess that most Overlanders aren't going to want to attempt that though. What else was in your group, did they give it a go? Also, that log shifting at about 42 seconds could have spelled disaster. I know your ZR2 has a lot of skid plates and protection, but even it is susceptible to a shifting log like that. It easily could have gotten up into a driveshaft or the like. Shifting logs present a whole other risk (and challenge) vs. stationary rocks. Your rig did awesome and appeared to have no issues with that obstacle, but I think it's fair to say most groups would rather clear that out. With a good saw or two and a winch that could be cleared in less time than it'd take to help an entire group navigate over it - plus you've then cleared it for future adventurers. I'm all about tread-lightly and not making any unneeded changes to the environment. However, clearing the actual trail/road helps with this effort, IMHO, because it keeps people from cutting in new bypasses around things like downed trees.

-TJ

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Dang, that's impressive! I would wager a guess that most Overlanders aren't going to want to attempt that though. What else was in your group, did they give it a go? Also, that log shifting at about 42 seconds could have spelled disaster. I know your ZR2 has a lot of skid plates and protection, but even it is susceptible to a shifting log like that. It easily could have gotten up into a driveshaft or the like. Shifting logs present a whole other risk (and challenge) vs. stationary rocks. Your rig did awesome and appeared to have no issues with that obstacle, but I think it's fair to say most groups would rather clear that out. With a good saw or two and a winch that could be cleared in less time than it'd take to help an entire group navigate over it - plus you've then cleared it for future adventurers. I'm all about tread-lightly and not making any unneeded changes to the environment. However, clearing the actual trail/road helps with this effort, IMHO, because it keeps people from cutting in new bypasses around things like downed trees.

-TJ
That isnt my truck i was just giving an example of how to get over a log, my z71 does have more clearance than that zr2, though i dont have trees that big around here there are piles of smaller fallen trees. I find they are just another fun obstical that makes an adventure.

Reactions: DanW

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

This is the size thats most common in my area there are bigger ones but this is a pretty normal example. Everyone has different needs i suppose
20190622_125105.jpg

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
That isnt my truck i was just giving an example of how to get over a log, my z71 does have more clearance than that zr2, though i dont have trees that big around here there are piles of smaller fallen trees. I find they are just another fun obstical that makes an adventure.
That's all well and good if the log is laying on the ground. If it's 4 feet off the ground and trapped in between other trees the only way is to cut it or turn back.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Right now I carry a WORX 10 inch electric chain saw (corded not battery powered) and I run it off of my inverter. I would like to move to a 40V li-ion unit. I've got a bunch of Black and Decker 20V Max tools and they do sell a saw that runs on them but it seems like the 40 volt units offer way better performance.

I run the oil reservoir empty and just use a can of spray lube to spray the chain and bar between cuts to cut down on mess in the back of my Jeep.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307

Another big advantage is that since there are no emissions, It can also be used indoors around Christmas time, for lopping the top off a newel post, if necessary.

Something I miss, was a chainsaw from my past. It was a hand me down, but I had used it previously when it belonged to my father. It was one of those BABY McCulloch chain saws, super handy. The one with the micro 10-12" bar. It was very handy for brush/small limb removal. Alas, they were not meant for continuous use, and it just plain wore out. A comparable Stihl, like the nursery guys use, is just to many $$ to justify it's limited potential for my needs now. I have a Farm Boss for big jobs, but still fondly remember that little guy well. I have the small bucksaw, and bought one of those folding pruning hand saws that live in my trucks door pocket. Combined with a hatchet, most little jobs are covered when and if they arise. This is the one I remember1569878172564.png

PS. I loved those now vintage Company ads with papa and jr beaver talking about chewing wood :laughing:

1569877932828.png

Dustinfromohio

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Wooster, OH, USA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Parsons
Couple pointers from a certified arborist, take em or leave em. 1. Safety- downed trees have stored energy that isn’t always apparent and varies by species. Take your time, plan and clear your escape route first, secure your footing, make small, slow cuts, read the wood as you go. 2. Due to epa regs, new saws run much leaner and are very picky about the fuel they run on, especially huskys. Buy canned gas if you don’t use your saw often or at the very least buy premium and empty the tank after a days use. The ethanol in today’s gas quickly separates and gums up the saw (that’s directly from huskys corporate rep Cary Shepherd). 3. We’ve demoed a couple electric saws and although they work well, their battery’s don’t do as well in extreme temps so might be best to keep them in the cab. Personally, a chain saw is the last thing I want to hear after work but to each their own!

Reactions: Downs and justjames

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

I've been thinking about chainsaws and don't like the idea of gas for overlanding. The fuel is my biggest concern. If I knew I was there to clear trails it's one thing but to get something out of my way I think a battery one should suffice. Does anyone have experience on the trail? Recommendations.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I've been thinking about chainsaws and don't like the idea of gas for overlanding. The fuel is my biggest concern. If I knew I was there to clear trails it's one thing but to get something out of my way I think a battery one should suffice. Does anyone have experience on the trail? Recommendations.
I've used my corded 115volt saw to cut plenty of stuff when traveling. Seems we mostly use it for cutting firewood in camp but we've used it to cut some fairly thick stuff to clear a trail as well. Not very often but to me not carrying gas is worth bringing the electric over the gas saw. As long as my Jeep has fuel I have an inverter. The battery powered one is on my short list for convenience though.

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

I've used my corded 115volt saw to cut plenty of stuff when traveling. Seems we mostly use it for cutting firewood in camp but we've used it to cut some fairly thick stuff to clear a trail as well. Not very often but to me not carrying gas is worth bringing the electric over the gas saw. As long as my Jeep has fuel I have an inverter. The battery powered one is on my short list for convenience though.
I hadn't thought of electric. Cheap enough.