Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I have been DEEP into National Forest, along narrow ridge lines, and come across many situations like this:

View attachment 94991

So, I wonder what I would have done if that tree was not already handled by someone. In fact, there have been situations where I have had to turn around, but it hasn't been on a very narrow section so I was ok. I am often pulling my XVenture XV-3 trailer, so if I come up on a down tree, on a narrow pass, that is not going to be a pleasant situation.

What do you all do to combat the situation of fallen trees? Silky Saw? Chainsaw? Turn Around?
Depending on your trail preferences, you can modify your load-out to better suit your expected destination. If you do a lot of trails like the photo, it would probably be a good idea to carry one. In more open country a shovel/hand saw/bucksaw would be more reasonable. The Expedition Overland crew made a quick reach chain-saw bracket, that attached to their trailer fender. A pretty slick idea for continuous use. Not for unsupervised stowage, as it would develop LEGS Another, but more complicated and slow method, is a 2-ton 'come-along' with straps/chain which could be used in lieu of a winch. A High-Lift Jack can work as a hand winch also, but is even slower to set up and use. BUT THESE DO WORK!!104661104662104664Here are a couple of ideas. I like a flat fender design..less stress i think. That first one is very similar to a ATV-KOLPIN DESIGN called a chain-saw bucket. You use friction and bungee straps to secure it. The Aluminum one on the ATV is sweet, and opens a lot of design possibilities. Good Luck.

gvb40

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Anselmo Ca
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Vonbuchau
Yes I think everyone on here knows that. Do you carry a chainsaw? Or have you found it not necessary? There are several ways to deal with the situation
You might possibly have been able to pull that tree out of the way with a winch after creating some weak points with an axe or bow saw.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I have been DEEP into National Forest, along narrow ridge lines, and come across many situations like this:

View attachment 94991

So, I wonder what I would have done if that tree was not already handled by someone. In fact, there have been situations where I have had to turn around, but it hasn't been on a very narrow section so I was ok. I am often pulling my XVenture XV-3 trailer, so if I come up on a down tree, on a narrow pass, that is not going to be a pleasant situation.

What do you all do to combat the situation of fallen trees? Silky Saw? Chainsaw? Turn Around?
First thing, learn to drive. If you find turning around a challenge, stay on the pavement.
Second point. If you find driving a challenge understand a chainsaw without full PPE can decapitate and kill you.
Finally, since summer is the peak off roading season. you need to be able to put out a fire a chainsaw can easily start.

Right now parts of BC are CLOSED to loggers due to the fire hazzard. But the idiots on holiday are out in full force. Often complaining about FIRE BANS. And then the idiots get upset because the gate is closed.

FIRST take a chainsaw safety course. If you think you don't need one... You are the problem.
SECOND take a fire safety course, and carry the few tools needed to put out a fire.
AND visit the local Fire Service office before venturing onto their roads. IF the road has a "RadioControl" sign. Get one.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I carry my Stihl Wood Boss with me every time i go out on a camping or overland trip. More often than not, i dont need it. But the times i have needed it, its been there ready to go and saved my A$$.

You just have to know what youre doing and who you are... its just like swimming,, if you dont know how, then stay out of water. if you dont know how to handle a chainsaw, then dont carry one.
What other gear do you carry for safety?

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

When I cleared this I was 5 miles from home and my buddies knew what I was going to do.
There are guys who run chainsaws daily for years without incident until...
Learn to drive, back up with your trailer, and turn around.

And no, no winch will move a tree you cannot drive over.

DSC_0112.jpeg

Your best bet is filing a travel plan with freinds so they can find you if you are overdue.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
We have these things called thunderstorms around here in the beginning of the best camping months. When I was a kid a storm messed things up so much that we had to climb trees to get propane. Gas stations closed up because they didn't have power. So we couldn't buy propane fills there. Good thing there was plenty of abandoned pop up campers stuck in the trees.

A chainsaw gets a whole lot easier to pack if you remove the blade. Put each part in a garbage bag so it doesn't get goo on your trailer.

My Stihl is remarkably reliable. I made sure to buy one of the larger pro models. Smallest of the pro models I think. 20" blade.

Before winter, I mix my gas 50/50 with Sea Foam, before adding oil. Run it for a while, and store it without running the carb dry.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I carry the Stihl MSA 200C Lithium battery powered chainsaw with the charger in my vehicle and a bottle of bar oil. It is a beast, works as good as any gas powered saw its size and I don't have to worry about gas fumes, etc....in my vehicle.
Yes, all any chainsaw needs is a SHARP chain. I use a saw file everytime before I start it.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
FIRST take a chainsaw safety course. If you think you don't need one... You are the problem.
SECOND take a fire safety course, and carry the few tools needed to put out a fire.
AND visit the local Fire Service office before venturing onto their roads. IF the road has a "RadioControl" sign. Get one.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The 2nd one has become so all consuming this last decade. Nevada gets the fire restrictions Statewide/County wide every year. MANDATORY: Shovel, Rake, pick axe, or Hoe, and 5 gallons of water for fire suppression, separate from personal use requirements. This is not for just forests, but brush lands also. Growing up here, the STATE/.GOV/BLM use huge bulldozers in the Northern counties to scrape off the sagebrush, and replant for grass and native foliage. Both for cattle and wildlife and for fire control. I believe the entities involved do burn control on the slash after the first rains or early snows when the surrounding ground area was saturated wet.

Good advice , and much easier, as civilian radio use has expanded

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The 2nd one has become so all consuming this last decade. Nevada gets the fire restrictions Statewide/County wide every year. MANDATORY: Shovel, Rake, pick axe, or Hoe, and 5 gallons of water for fire suppression, separate from personal use requirements. This is not for just forests, but brush lands also. Growing up here, the STATE/.GOV/BLM use huge bulldozers in the Northern counties to scrape off the sagebrush, and replant for grass and native foliage. Both for cattle and wildlife and for fire control. I believe the entities involved do burn control on the slash after the first rains or early snows when the surrounding ground area was saturated wet.

Good advice , and much easier, as civilian radio use has expanded
Somewhat off topic question, but what sort of radios are being used for FSR traffic in BC and where would someone get one?

OtherOrb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7QIF
I do not take a chainsaw with me. Even with spark arrestors they are too dangerous in our dry forests. A single pebble in the bark of a tree can mean the destruction of tens of thousands of acres of forest.

I carry a sharp axe, a bow saw, and tow straps. If I can't clear the road with that, I'll mark the location and report it to the forest service.

Jay61

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Leesburg Georgia
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Brimberry
Member #

Interesting, I guess it is all a matter of where you explore. I live in the Southeast and the majority of the areas I tend to explore and have had to use the chainsaw it is generally damp. We get trees down due to storms and hurricanes and typically within days of the tree being down someone has hit it with a chain saw. On the few times I have explored out West I could see where a fire would be an issue. But then again not much in the way of trees in the road either.

OtherOrb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7QIF
Interesting, I guess it is all a matter of where you explore. I live in the Southeast and the majority of the areas I tend to explore and have had to use the chainsaw it is generally damp. We get trees down due to storms and hurricanes and typically within days of the tree being down someone has hit it with a chain saw. On the few times I have explored out West I could see where a fire would be an issue. But then again not much in the way of trees in the road either.
Nah, there's plenty of forest in the west. For example, Flagstaff, AZ is surrounded by the largest ponderosa pine forest in the world, Coconino National Forest.

MetalMatt1776

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Lexington, OK, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Linthicum
Member #

I always have a cheap 18" Fiskars (silky saw ripoff, really good quality for the $) saw tucked in the back of my toolbox, and have had to break it out on several occasions. However, if I am going out shortly after severe weather or to a place I know is not maintained I will bring my chainsaw.

Will I Am

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Layton, Utah
Member #

@chuckoverland how does that work? I saw dewalt has one that looks pretty neat but. Would think theyd lack power and or pretty delicate.. i normally put mine in a tote box but using it in rain storm or snow if that got wet would cause some problems.

As far as kick back it is extremely rare but have seen it happen with someone being complacent and pretty seasoned logger. Lot of saws have safety devices but just cus its rare doesn’t mean it cant happen.

Id figure a pair of chaps into the price of the saw.
I have a 16 inch Flex volt Dewalt 60 Volt Max brush-Less it does have the power and it is not delicate I have cut 12 inch diameter hickory with it without any issues (little slower than my gas saw) I carry 2 Batteries 9 amp hour ones and a charger, don't need to mix gas and oil just carry bottle of chain lube oil.

dewalt-cordless-chainsaws-dccs670t1-4f_1000.jpg

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I have a 16 inch Flex volt Dewalt 60 Volt Max brush-Less it does have the power and it is not delicate I have cut 12 inch diameter hickory with it without any issues (little slower than my gas saw) I carry 2 Batteries 9 amp hour ones and a charger, don't need to mix gas and oil just carry bottle of chain lube oil.

View attachment 104829
These are awesome choices. Like any chainsaw, a sharp chain is what makes the difference. With cordless electric it is even more critical to run the file over every tooth before cutting.

I have a lot of Milwaukee cordless tools. Plus a Husky chainsaw. I'm thinking about selling the gas Husky and getting the 18V Milwaukee chain saw. Chain oil & batteries are way easier to manage than chain oil & mixed gasoline. And an electric chain saw could live permanently in the back of my TJ.

Last edited:
Reactions: Will I Am

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
If you're worried about a chainsaw starting a fire.........your forest is already screwed.

My extinguisher, and some common sense will easily combat whatever the saw risks. Besides, is a chainsaw any worse than your trucks exhaust system? Dragging a hot cat across dry grass?

At that point, is overlanding and camping even viable?

There's a man made grass swamp around me. It catches on fire every few years as needed. I don't go mountain biking on it's trails when it's that dry. Too great a risk of not getting out.

Reactions: Roam_CO85

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

If you're worried about a chainsaw starting a fire.........your forest is already screwed.
There it is !!

The attitude guaranteeing every back road will be closed.
WOW !! yeah, use that kitchen fire extinquisher. It'll be way more fun than a shovel.
Ignorance is the government regulators best friend, and our worst enemy.

Great you stay home if YOU feel threatened WOW !!
This is way bigger than Mid Ohio.
Watch the news.

And keep flicking those cigarete butts too. WOW !!
cuz that fire extinquisher is in yer trunk ...
butt-flick-out-car-window-01.jpeg

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Why are you driving a red hot truck in a dry forest flicking butts out the window?

We can't use a chainsaw, but a jeep is ok?
A dirtbike is ok?
A camp stove is ok?
A frackin powerline is ok?

Do you see the slippery slope that you're standing on?

You're really confident that you can explain to a park ranger that: ''chainsaw bad, 4runner OK?''

Sounds like your attitude already closed the trail.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Why are you driving a red hot truck in a dry forest flicking butts out the window?

We can't use a chainsaw, but a jeep is ok?
A dirtbike is ok?
A camp stove is ok?
A frackin powerline is ok?

Do you see the slippery slope that you're standing on?

You're really confident that you can explain to a park ranger that: ''chainsaw bad, 4runner OK?''

Sounds like your attitude already closed the trail.
maybe a slight misinterpretation of your post.
but what is a fracking powerline?

I'm not on a slippery slope.
I live in BC we have had the worst fire seasons ever for the past two summers.
I fully understand the risks.

Chainsaw, no Our loggers are on a month off right now.
A dirtbike, camper, camp stove, exhaust system cat,
A car without an ashtray.

Even my Jeep.... for the past 2 years I have stayed home all summer the fire season was so bad.
Yet you figure yer fire extinquisher is the answer. Obviously you have never fought a forest fire.

I don't need some cop to tell me the forest is closed.
I'm old enough to do what is right and only argue with the idiots who don't get it.
Yeah, your attitude is the one closing roads.

I can accept an arguement when there is room for interpretation. But I'm thinking you figure why can't I run my chainsaw if a guy can drive a truck. Well, that is the wrong attitude and yes, the trail will be closed.