To Chainsaw or not to Chainsaw, that is the question

• HTML tutorial

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

Its the home depot brand E go. My parents have one and have used it clearing spruce off their new property in AK. They say the battery last a good hour and a half of clearing and it doesnt begin to lose power as the battery drains, it just quits when it cant stay up to speed. We have only tested it a bit but i think its going to be fine for clearing trails. I will let yall know once we have more chances to use it.
Also it says its weatherproof so we will see.

Reactions: DoggMan1163

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Its the home depot brand E go. My parents have one and have used it clearing spruce off their new property in AK. They say the battery last a good hour and a half of clearing and it doesnt begin to lose power as the battery drains, it just quits when it cant stay up to speed. We have only tested it a bit but i think its going to be fine for clearing trails. I will let yall know once we have more chances to use it.
Also it says its weatherproof so we will see.
Oh cool. Ive always wondered about how water proof that stuff is. I use to have a drill that would zap you here an there. Old one and it wouldnt do it every time but it would catch you off guard. Dont wanna ride that lightning bolt haha

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

Yes I think everyone on here knows that. Do you carry a chainsaw? Or have you found it not necessary? There are several ways to deal with the situation
Yes, I carry a chainsaw.

Depending on the trail, it can be vital.

Around here... if you turn back every time a tree is down you aren't getting anywhere.

Last edited:

J.mitchell

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Chula Vista, CA, USA
Member #

I dont carry a chain saw her in souther California because it's not likely to find a tree big enough I cant just hit and move with my bumper. But in the case that it is. I'll weaken it first with an axe. Or I could use my winch and a strap to pull it however I need too. My .02

Reactions: DoggMan1163

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I debated for a long time about getting a chainsaw. In the end, I decided the cons were far outweighing the pros, and instead I got one of these bad boys:
bowsaw.jpg
Light weight, easy to carry, stows easily and takes up little space, runs on elbow grease, guaranteed never to kickback on you, and much harder (but not impossible) to hurt yourself with. If you do hurt yourself, much less likely to be fatal or crippling. The Bahco is top notch and cuts through branches like a hot knife through butter. Between this thing and my axe, I figure I can cut through all but the biggest trees that may block the way.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I debated for a long time about getting a chainsaw. In the end, I decided the cons were far outweighing the pros, and instead I got one of these bad boys:
View attachment 95141
Light weight, easy to carry, stows easily and takes up little space, runs on elbow grease, guaranteed never to kickback on you, and much harder (but not impossible) to hurt yourself with. If you do hurt yourself, much less likely to be fatal or crippling. The Bahco is top notch and cuts through branches like a hot knife through butter. Between this thing and my axe, I figure I can cut through all but the biggest trees that may block the way.
Those are very nice saws!

Reactions: J.mitchell

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I own a pair of Husqvarnas, but I would not want to drag them around when camping. An axe is much lighter and most likely plenty adequate for trail use. A bow saw makes good sense too.

I grew up heating with wood. I don't have qualms about using a chainsaw. My saws are excellent quality. But they are not convenient to pack. They are smelly and messy. And odds are they would be out of tune for the elevation I would need them. Mine are tuned at sea level. If I needed them at 8,000' I expect they wouldn't be happy. And being modern saws they have these anti-tamper adjustment screws just to make life difficult for users. I guess simple slotted screws cause cancer in the state of California. At any rate, my quality of life is better with an axe.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

The husqvarnas are hard to work on. Everytime we had to work in California they used alot of them. They probably run them on unicorn blood and tears now in cali. Love that snap crackle and pop of a well tuned saw.

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

Depending on length of my camping trip and how much extra room I have, I carry a small Craftsman chainsaw that’s older than me and can be disassembled with a single tool. It comes in handy clearing large or awkward trees off of trails, but I use it more for firewood. I use tow straps to drag fallen trees from the trail most often.

OutdoorsBen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Western Massachusetts
Member #

I have a Silky Big Boy that comes with me everywhere. I do have a 20v Dewalt saw that I could take but I haven't had the need for it yet. The silky gets through things I need it to, it just takes a little longer.

Reactions: bushnut

bushnut

Rank 0

Traveler I

Winnipeg, MB, Canada
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Sp
I too carry a Silky big boy and a good SHARP ( if it doesn’t cut paper it’s not sharp) axe. Good price and a good way to save weight over a chainsaw and extra fuel.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I've carried a 24V li-po chain saw for over a year now, only had to use it two times but it beats the best hand saw known to man kind. Battery life is amazing, you have to deal with bar oil but it's not bad, bought a cheap canvas case for it.

Steve in Roanoke VA

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Roanoke VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Janosko
Member #

I always take an axe & bow saw. Slower than a chainsaw, but effective If it is a trail I have not been on OR know is not traveled often OR we have had lots of storms, the chainsaw comes along as well. ++ on the training and safety equipment. Also have used a tow strap to move cut trees completely off of trail. Only downside to taking chainsaw is extra space, as you also must take extra fuel mix & bar oil, safety equipment, extra chain, sharpening files, wedges, etc. Have been through lots of cheap chainsaws, better to go with Sthil (what I use now) or Husky and have one that will last.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
One of the benefits of having a Diamondback cover on my F-150 is that I can keep my Stihl chainsaw with me at all times. I have no problem using it and clearing a trail to help those out that come behind without a chainsaw. Living in NW Florida we've had our fair share of Hurricanes and Tropical Storms over the years so I've had plenty of experience using a chainsaw and that's the main reason my current chainsaw is a Stihl, they run when you need them to!

Miller8152

Rank IV

Advocate III

Moorpark, CA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Service Branch
Marine Corps
Definitely a Professional Silky Saw and a Winch. Less things go wrong and and less items to maintain. Most people do not know how to handle a chain saw with logs big enough to block a vehicle. (Just search YouTube for chainsaw fails)

HEYElliott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Markham, Ontario, Canada
Member #

If you do decide to bring a chainsaw, for goodness sake get some chaps and some training! I almost cut my leg off with a saw. It happens so fast! 2 years later and my leg is not the same as it was.
THANK YOU.
I saw a picture of that dude form Lifestyle overland using a chain saw wearing his salomon trail runners, no eye protection, no ear protection and no leg protection. I called him out on no PPE and he got all worked up about how he ran a saw for years and years in the forest. Would be quite the vlog title if something went wrong. "WE ALMOST DIED FROM A CHAIN SAW ATTACK OVERLAND ON THE ROAD"

JSearles562

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Potsdam, NY, USA
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Searles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2SOC
My chainsaw goes everywhere with me on the trail. I have a STIHL MS 271 Farmboss that gets strapped to the roof basket along with an old TeePee combination bar oil/mix gas can (i love that can because it holds a gal of gas and 2 quarts of bar oil.) I have a few wedges thrown in the recovery gear box as they don't take up much room and the chainsaw wrench and spare plug in the tool kit. My gransfors bruks small forest axe also goes everywhere with me. larger than a hatchet but not as cumbersome as a full size felling axe, its usually the first item i grab when there is brush to be cleared.

+1 on training. I have been on dozens of roofs cutting vent holes with an echo quick vent saw, and used to process my own firewood for home heat. Im here to say that A saw WILL bite you if you get complacent. Miles from help... that can be a real problem. Chaps, eye and ear pro, and for god sake; a fully stocked TRAUMA kit, Not first aid, TRAUMA.

Last edited:

Jay61

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Leesburg Georgia
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Brimberry
Member #

I carry the Stihl MSA 200C Lithium battery powered chainsaw with the charger in my vehicle and a bottle of bar oil. It is a beast, works as good as any gas powered saw its size and I don't have to worry about gas fumes, etc....in my vehicle.

Reactions: madcratebuilder