• HTML tutorial

Delux2769

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lakewood, CO, USA
Member #

We ran BFG KO2's on our vehicles this past run... Before that were the General Grabber AT2's... The KO2's cost twice as much, but are 80% better. We had the funds to get the KO2's, so we did, and were super happy with them... Now we're on used Nitto Mud Grapplers since we were on a super budget for 35" tires, haha. Liking them, so far.

Reactions: Gabriel Bozeman

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

We ran BFG KO2's on our vehicles this past run... Before that were the General Grabber AT2's... The KO2's cost twice as much, but are 80% better. We had the funds to get the KO2's, so we did, and were super happy with them... Now we're on used Nitto Mud Grapplers since we were on a super budget for 35" tires, haha. Liking them, so far.
Thanks for the details.

glade8r

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Franklinton, NC, USA
First Name
Jamie
Last Name
Wells
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4UFU
I work at a tire store. 3 of us have Jeep XJ's. All of us run BFG KO2's. I'm on the east coast so not sure if it applies but BFG has a $60 rebate from July 1st to the 9th.

Reactions: Gabriel Bozeman

MetalMatt1776

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Lexington, OK, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Linthicum
Member #

I personally would go no smaller than 31s. I've had great past experience with the cooper st maxx tires. They are more of a hybrid tire than an AT, as they have substantial lugs with wider voids than a typical AT. They do run slightly larger than competitors too. I currently run the Falken AT3Ws and have been very happy with them. Can't speak about actual wear yet, but they have 55k mile tread warranty.
I personally would stay clear of the Goodyear Duratracs and BFGs. In my use the duratracs wore very fast and the BFGs had poor traction for an AT and were noticeably smaller (side by side) than other brands of the same size.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

My previous career was 17 years in the tire industry. I thought I might throw a few things in for you to consider

1. Buy the best tire you can afford. Premium tires are always less expensive in the long run.

2. Consider the service after the fact. I think this is very important. Where will you get a flat fixed? What if I put a stick through the side of the tire? Buying online can save you alot of money and i probably will when i buy tires for the FJ. But then i can fix my own flats. The 2 places in the PNW that have the best service after the fact are Discount Tire and Les Schwab.

3. You wont go wrong with the BFG. That tire has been proven over and over again

4. You cant go wrong with the Aftermarket Toyo or Nitto. Toyo and Nitto are like GMC and Chevrolet. the same on the inside and look different on the outside. Most Toyo's and Nitto's are made in the same factory with the same casing. The Mold for the tires are different. Toyo like all manufacturers will make tires for Original Equiptment cars and trucks to the car makers specification. They had a bunch of O.E. tires on some toyotas that were wearing out extremely fast. More than likely because of a specification from toyota.

6. You wont go wrong with Michelin All Terrains. They do not look the most off road out of the bunch but is a very good tire. That is what I currently have on the FJ because they came with it.

5. General's, Cooper's, Falken's are all good upper middle quality tires.

6. Almost always Ride Quality, life of the tire, etc will go down as the price goes down, but be wary of a tire that carries a premium price but does not look premium. Also be wary of a premium name brand tire that is considerately less at one place than it is at another. Some places will order tires that have less tread so that they can compete on price alone. for example tire store A has a tire for $212 and Tire store B has the same tire for $182. Tire store A's tire has 21/32 of tread and tire store B's has 10/32 of tread.

7. Take into consideration how the tires will look. I have put tires on vehicles that were too big, heavy etc simply because they looked good. And i wanted that look more than i wanted gas mileage, low noise, driveability etc. That being said I am considering the Milestar Patagonia for the FJ, A tire i have only seen youtube, just because it looks good.

Jeff
Ive had 33" milestar patagonia mt s on my colorado for a while, so far they are awesome they ride and sound like all terrain but have the grip to get through about anything. I went from the stock goodyears to toyo open country at that almost killed me on wet roads

20190622_124456.jpg

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I'm running near 31" size Falken Wildpeak AT3W's. They actually measure out to about 30.5" but oh well. They're amazing for an AT. Lots of grip. Aggressive looking but quiet. 3 peak rated. I am thoroughly impressed as I was leaning towards KO2's. I have about 6k miles on them so far with maybe 1k miles of off-road use.

TBox0194

Rank I

Enthusiast I

San Antonio, Texas
First Name
Trent
Last Name
Moody
I’ve ran hankook, Goodyear, bfg, and pathfinder tires on my rig. For city driving the pathfinders and handbooks did great, the hankooks even did well off-road but we’re a load range c tire so I didn’t air down as much. I first had the Goodyear mtr they were awesome in everything I threw at them but wore like wet soap under the weight of a full-size. I’m currently on Goodyear duratrac and have been very pleased with daily driving and off-road.

Now for bfg a few of my good friends have had blow outs using their all terrain tires. My 86 c10 had a blow out on their radial t/a tires that hav been garage kept but driven frequently. I tried a set of their sport comp 2 tires on my current daily driver Scion xB and got less that 12k miles out of them before they were bald. My personal opinion I will never own another set of bfg unless and absolute emergency.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I'm running near 31" size Falken Wildpeak AT3W's. They actually measure out to about 30.5" but oh well. They're amazing for an AT. Lots of grip. Aggressive looking but quiet. 3 peak rated. I am thoroughly impressed as I was leaning towards KO2's. I have about 6k miles on them so far with maybe 1k miles of off-road use.
My BIL runs the Falkens, and has been very pleased with them. Has done 2 sets so far. They get good reviews from both actual users, and off-road rags. They tend to run heavy against comparable offerings, but hey, when on back roads, you want a tough tire capable of not getting cut. That SNOW rating is nice, for when others need to chain up before proceeding at check points. He had run a 2nd set of replacement BFG Trail Runner? (AT Light) tires to replace the OEM set that came with his King Ranch 2003 3/4 ton 4x4. He also had 1 blowout, and 1 tire start going bad, when he switched to the Wildpeaks.

I ran BFG's for many, many years....4 sets, and was pleased with them, for the most part. Good wear (best=46,000 miles), fairly quiet, and good traction. The CON's were that the rubber tended to get 'heat checked' over the years around the sidewall on all of them. This I was told was due to the rubber composition used in their construction. A noticable condition in the hot desert SW during the summer, where road surface temps would get close to 200 degrees. I knew personally, and heard that they might/could have blow-out issues during that part of the year, where de- lamination was most likely the cause. Another issue I had and others have commented on was during wet conditions, the BFG AT (ko2) had a tendency to snap spin the truck. You would be turning with no slippage, when suddenly all traction was lost with no warning. A not so fun event.

I would have probably have done another set,.....maybe,....but by this time I was looking for something else with good write ups, and a cheaper cost. Driving the heavy Duramax, means I never get the tread wear that you read about from lighter trucks.....sad. Almost got the Coopers AT3, but settled on the TOYO AT's, as I got a 3 ply sidewall, a 55,000 mile tire (read,,hope for 45,000), a killer price for 5, which came in under 4 BFG's, with some spare change in my pocket. Now one of the things I have noticed for me here in Southern Nevada, is that when the infrequent rain event happens, the truck was better settled. In that, when making a corner, if the traction went away, it did so in a LINEAR matter. That being , it would start to slip,, and you would feel it going. This gave you time to adjust, and not be caught by surprise when all traction was lost like the BFG's.:grin: I do not do enough off-road like I used to, so combined city/hwy was of particular concern as the truck was also my DD.

Concerning Rain, I have not experienced the situation."Boostpowered' wrote....."toyo open country at that almost killed me on wet roads", I have read a few reviews with this problem. Others have said they have not had that problem. Not sure how much vehicle weight or road surface plays in this. Take what you can from reviews or others experience, and go from there.

Last edited:

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I'm loving the Wildpeak AT3Ws! I ran a P-metric set for about 8k miles in all sorts of terrain and conditions and they were great, especially on wet pavement were the KO2s and especially Duratracs falter. I've got around 5k or so on a set of LTs now and have been doing my best to beat on them off-road. They are outstanding for a do-it-all tire.

Metal Masher Trail, Moab

Reactions: Desert Runner

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I'm loving the Wildpeak AT3Ws! I ran a P-metric set for about 8k miles in all sorts of terrain and conditions and they were great, especially on wet pavement were the KO2s and especially Duratracs falter. I've got around 5k or so on a set of LTs now and have been doing my best to beat on them off-road. They are outstanding for a do-it-all tire.

Metal Masher Trail, Moab
Gen 3 ? version. I don't remember the sidewall being so aggressive looking. 2 ply or 3 on sidewall? The older style were 2 ply in the E rating. They look good, Haven't put a lot of miles on my TOYO's yet, so a new set are a few years out. Will definitely keep these in mind.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I've been running BFGs for decades now and never had a tire failure. I have always sold my old ones when they have 50,000 miles on them for 3 or 4 hundred dollars and replace them with new tires. The old ones always have about 20,000 miles of life in them. I'm on my 5th or 6th set now and will be getting new tires next year as this set has 40,000 miles on them. I very rarely find a need to rotate tires on a vehicle that is aligned properly with all good suspension bushings.

Reactions: Outdoordog

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Gen 3 ? version. I don't remember the sidewall being so aggressive looking. 2 ply or 3 on sidewall? The older style were 2 ply in the E rating. They look good, Haven't put a lot of miles on my TOYO's yet, so a new set are a few years out. Will definitely keep these in mind.
This is the newest version. They look way more aggressive in person than in photos. The sidewalls do anyway.

I believe these are all 2ply with high ply turn-ups so most of the sidewall (up to the sidewall armor) is technically 4ply but since the turn-ups stop short of the tread they don't call it a true 4ply. This is how it was explained to me when I called Falken. They are very stout even in P-metric form.

"The tire features a two-ply sidewall, but both plies have high ply turn ups wrapping around the bead and rising back up, ending just shy of the upper sidewall tread features. This creates a four-ply thick, sidewall to protect from punctures in off-road situations"

https://www.offroadxtreme.com/engine-tech/wheels-tires/falken-wildpeak-at3w-tire-review/

If you drive in sharp shale rocks or desert thorn country a lot then I'd probably stick with something like the ST Maxx for extreme protection but in most othere cases the AT3W should be more than enough.

Here I'm relying on the sidewall armor for protection and some grip. In this area there are only 2 plys as the turn-ups don't go this far up the sidewall.

They work well in snow as well.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I have run Generals, BFG, Goodyear, Michland, My favorite are the ones that get me home. Most of the asian off road tires and are road rubber with a off road pattern. Most of the General, BFG, Goodyear, are a softer rubber for off road and short road life. I have a friend who company supports the AK pipeline 12 months per year he runs Michelin's only, mud, snow, whatever. Says they are the best value. I just would rather not change a tire.......

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I have stacks of half used goodyear and toyo tires under my carport i switched to a little known tire made by milestar called the patagonia its a e rated mud tire 33x11.7x17 they are awesome for the price and work in any terrain. Super quiet for mud tires on the highway. They are 3 ply too. Here is a link to them www.milestartires.com/light-truck-tires/patagonia-mt/
P.s. they run a little larger than advertised if you were to get the 32" they are actually 33" diameter
1563278202633436954688.jpg

Last edited:

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I have stacks of half used goodyear and toyo tires under my carport i switched to a little known tire made by milestar called the patagonia its a e rated mud tire 33x11.7x17 they are awesome for the price and work in any terrain. Super quiet for mud tires on the highway. They are 3 ply too. Here is a link to them www.milestartires.com/light-truck-tires/patagonia-mt/
P.s. they run a little larger than advertised if you were to get the 32" they are actually 33" diameter
View attachment 107916
I recently heard about them, thru the You-Tube bloggers, who have marveled as to their versatility, Many have either commented on them in passing, or switched over to using them from better known brands. They look fantastic in their MUD version. The part that caught my attention was that they ride similar to a AT type tire, without the compromises of a MUD tire per se' (minimal trade off).

It might be to early, but my question would be their longevity/tread-wear, and how they compare to other MUD tires on the market. If the price stays low enough, any sub-issues on wear compared to the known brands, will be minimized as a trade-off. I would like to see this question answered, for us that do nor have a dedicated trail rig, but would like a capable choice that won't wear like butter.

It seems that the manufacturers are getting closer to achieving this goal with each new generation released onto the market. The down side is the price they want for these improvements.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I recently heard about them, thru the You-Tube bloggers, who have marveled as to their versatility, Many have either commented on them in passing, or switched over to using them from better known brands. They look fantastic in their MUD version. The part that caught my attention was that they ride similar to a AT type tire, without the compromises of a MUD tire per se' (minimal trade off).

It might be to early, but my question would be their longevity/tread-wear, and how they compare to other MUD tires on the market. If the price stays low enough, any sub-issues on wear compared to the known brands, will be minimized as a trade-off. I would like to see this question answered, for us that do nor have a dedicated trail rig, but would like a capable choice that won't wear like butter.

It seems that the manufacturers are getting closer to achieving this goal with each new generation released onto the market. The down side is the price they want for these improvements.
Im at about 15000 miles half of that highway miles on them now, that pic was from this morning. They started off with 5/8 tread ive worn down nearly 1/8 so far. Price is way lower than any of the usual m/t brands out there you can have 5 tires for less than what 4 would be. I can honestly say i wont be going back to the name brand overpriced tires anytime in the future. They have other a/t and normal highway tires also but i can not attest to them. I switched to these because other name brand a/t tires were getting me stuck in grass wet from morning dew, and light mud. i had toyo open country tires almost kill my wife and i turning at a stoplight while it was wet, now i can turn while its wet at full speed and not be worried about hitting oncoming vehicles. I live in texas so i dont know how they do in snow but i reckon they would do pretty good given how they work in mud and wet weather.