Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

So I am looking into getting new tires for my Land Rover (P38). I have heard and seen good things about the BFGoodrich KO and KM tires, but I've also heard of the Open Country line from Toyo Tires and various tires from Cooper. I'm currently running 28 inch tires (stock, I think). I am thinking about going to 30 or bigger. What tire/size do y'all suggest?

Thanks in advance,
Gabriel Bozeman

Attachments

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Over here in europe many landrovers driving general grabber AT2 and bfg ko2 can't say much about the sizes, sorry.

Reactions: Gabriel Bozeman

avgjoe624

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fayetteville, NC, USA
Member #

Solely going off of the picture of the rig. Id go with 31s. As for brand, ive always noticed that the toyo open country doesn't last as long as they should. BFG are a really good brand of tire no matter which tire you decide to get.

I personally run nitto trail grapplers, they are an amazing tire IMO. they last long, drive well, perform excellent offroad, and not too noisy. Ive been running them on every vehicle I own for the last 6 years

are you wanting a mud terrain tire or an all terrain?

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

Solely going off of the picture of the rig. Id go with 31s. As for brand, ive always noticed that the toyo open country doesn't last as long as they should. BFG are a really good brand of tire no matter which tire you decide to get.

I personally run nitto trail grapplers, they are an amazing tire IMO. they last long, drive well, perform excellent offroad, and not too noisy. Ive been running them on every vehicle I own for the last 6 years

are you wanting a mud terrain tire or an all terrain?
I'm looking for an all terrain.

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

So after inspection of my current tires. I realized that I have 28 inch General Grabber AT2s. I like the look but not the size. So I think I'll go for bigger AT2s or KO2s. Thanks everyone for your help and opinion. It's greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Gabriel Bozeman

Stickman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Eads, TN
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Treanor
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4FBH
So after inspection of my current tires. I realized that I have 28 inch General Grabber AT2s. I like the look but not the size. So I think I'll go for bigger AT2s or KO2s. Thanks everyone for your help and opinion. It's greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Gabriel Bozeman
I just switched from AT2s to KM3s. Huge difference. I love the KM3s. Quiet, Agressive, Effective. My ATs through rocks. Don't have that problem anymore.

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

I was in the same boat a few weeks ago when the tires on the truck needed to be replaced. After looking into what's out there i decided to buy a set of Falken Wildpeak AT and after a few thousand miles i can say that I like them.
I think the Falken Wildpeaks are being sold on the new Gladiator (Rubicon).

Rolando

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Lovettsville, VA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Woldt
Member #

I think the Falken Wildpeaks are being sold on the new Gladiator (Rubicon).
It are Falken tires but I'm not sure if they are the Wildpeaks. Can't you choose between ATs and MTs?

Nevertheless that was not the reason for my choice. I did what every reasonable consumer does and watched YouTube videos and read reviews on the internet (because everything there must be correct, right?) :-)

Jeff Lloyd

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sedro-Woolley, WA, USA
Member #

My previous career was 17 years in the tire industry. I thought I might throw a few things in for you to consider

1. Buy the best tire you can afford. Premium tires are always less expensive in the long run.

2. Consider the service after the fact. I think this is very important. Where will you get a flat fixed? What if I put a stick through the side of the tire? Buying online can save you alot of money and i probably will when i buy tires for the FJ. But then i can fix my own flats. The 2 places in the PNW that have the best service after the fact are Discount Tire and Les Schwab.

3. You wont go wrong with the BFG. That tire has been proven over and over again

4. You cant go wrong with the Aftermarket Toyo or Nitto. Toyo and Nitto are like GMC and Chevrolet. the same on the inside and look different on the outside. Most Toyo's and Nitto's are made in the same factory with the same casing. The Mold for the tires are different. Toyo like all manufacturers will make tires for Original Equiptment cars and trucks to the car makers specification. They had a bunch of O.E. tires on some toyotas that were wearing out extremely fast. More than likely because of a specification from toyota.

6. You wont go wrong with Michelin All Terrains. They do not look the most off road out of the bunch but is a very good tire. That is what I currently have on the FJ because they came with it.

5. General's, Cooper's, Falken's are all good upper middle quality tires.

6. Almost always Ride Quality, life of the tire, etc will go down as the price goes down, but be wary of a tire that carries a premium price but does not look premium. Also be wary of a premium name brand tire that is considerately less at one place than it is at another. Some places will order tires that have less tread so that they can compete on price alone. for example tire store A has a tire for $212 and Tire store B has the same tire for $182. Tire store A's tire has 21/32 of tread and tire store B's has 10/32 of tread.

7. Take into consideration how the tires will look. I have put tires on vehicles that were too big, heavy etc simply because they looked good. And i wanted that look more than i wanted gas mileage, low noise, driveability etc. That being said I am considering the Milestar Patagonia for the FJ, A tire i have only seen youtube, just because it looks good.

Jeff

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

My previous career was 17 years in the tire industry. I thought I might throw a few things in for you to consider

1. Buy the best tire you can afford. Premium tires are always less expensive in the long run.

2. Consider the service after the fact. I think this is very important. Where will you get a flat fixed? What if I put a stick through the side of the tire? Buying online can save you alot of money and i probably will when i buy tires for the FJ. But then i can fix my own flats. The 2 places in the PNW that have the best service after the fact are Discount Tire and Les Schwab.

3. You wont go wrong with the BFG. That tire has been proven over and over again

4. You cant go wrong with the Aftermarket Toyo or Nitto. Toyo and Nitto are like GMC and Chevrolet. the same on the inside and look different on the outside. Most Toyo's and Nitto's are made in the same factory with the same casing. The Mold for the tires are different. Toyo like all manufacturers will make tires for Original Equiptment cars and trucks to the car makers specification. They had a bunch of O.E. tires on some toyotas that were wearing out extremely fast. More than likely because of a specification from toyota.

6. You wont go wrong with Michelin All Terrains. They do not look the most off road out of the bunch but is a very good tire. That is what I currently have on the FJ because they came with it.

6. Almost always Ride Quality, life of the tire, etc will go down as the price goes down, but be wary of a tire that carries a premium price but does not look premium. Also be wary of a premium name brand tire that is considerately less at one place than it is at another. Some places will order tires that have less tread so that they can compete on price alone. for example tire store A has a tire for $212 and Tire store B has the same tire for $182. Tire store A's tire has 21/32 of tread and tire store B's has 10/32 of tread.

7. Take into consideration how the tires will look. I have put tires on vehicles that were too big, heavy etc simply because they looked good. And i wanted that look more than i wanted gas mileage, low noise, driveability etc. That being said I am considering the Milestar Patagonia for the FJ, A tire i have only seen youtube, just because it looks good.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff for all this information!

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307

Jeff
Nice post, very good info on the inner casing design. I also had not heard about a tire being available in 2 different tread depths. My first time TOYO AT2 tires have been satisfactory so far. The future mileage question will be a big factor after they wear down. My next tire will be dependent on what I learn, and I might even go back to the new BFG's and swallow that premium cost. Time will definitely tell.

Stickman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Eads, TN
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Treanor
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4FBH
I just put 11,000 on my BFG KM3s. All hard driving thro7gh Canada and Alaska to Deadhorse. Bad roads with demon potholes. Still on tne road in Idaho. No damage to report.

Reactions: Outdoordog

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Cooper STT Pro.
Maxxis Razr.

Don't fear high quality new MT designs. Not noisy anymore, if you rotate them. And they work in rain and snow now. I'll never buy anything less ever again. Unless camper weight and hot pavement melt them (unlikely).

Cooper ST Maxx for an AT though. Same strong carcass as the STT.