Tire Upgrade first - Nitto or Cooper?

• HTML tutorial

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

My friend love Nittos. Heralds them as being very quiet.

My daughter just put AT3s on her Outlander, and I plan to follow suit. The AT3s are discontinued and being superceded. Whatever is out there is all that is out there.

James

Reactions: Overland Commander

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

I've read great reviews of the Coopers. I have Nitro Terra Grapplers on my Jeep Commander.I have around 13k miles on them & I think they're wearing a little fast. I think my next tires, I'll go back to General AT2's. I had 2 sets on my XJ & 2 sets on my Company Truck (Ranger). I really like them

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

I like cooper tires, but I wouldn’t go back to the at3. I ran through 2 sets of them on my old Tacoma, ultimately just didn’t love the reduced wet pavement traction after I wore through the top third of the tread. Also didn’t love their performance in mud, that’s more of a mt vs at issue though.

They were a tough tire, always did great offroad if it wasn’t heavy mud. Not a bad tire, I was always left slightly underwhelmed though.

Running st maxx’s now, much happier with them, at least initially.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I don't run the Terra's but just installed the Nitto Ridge Grappler, after putting about 40k on some Trail Grappler's. I really like Nitto tires, especially the Ridge Grappler. It's more of a hybrid type of tire, which I really like. Probably not as quiet as those Terra's, but they are WAY smoother and quieter than the Trail's.

Fellow Jeeper

Rank V

Influencer II

Latrobe Pa
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Bobincheck
My experience was all nitto. Have them on my 74 z-28. 555s. Then had terra grapplers on my 06 cummins dually. Loved them. Have coppers on my ram 1500 and think they are wearing fast. Rotate every 5k. Got 21k on em and down to the wear bar. Going to the ridge grappler in the next few weeks

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

Funny, I’ll be the1st to admit that opinions on tire wear is extremely suggestive. I’m sure my Terra Grapplers are wearing quite normal, but I look at them & “think” they’re wearing fast. In reality, perhaps since they’ve been on the Commander for 5 years, perhaps I’m getting tired of how they look so in my mind, the wear is accelerated. Funny how the human mind works.

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Funny, I’ll be the1st to admit that opinions on tire wear is extremely suggestive. I’m sure my Terra Grapplers are wearing quite normal, but I look at them & “think” they’re wearing fast. In reality, perhaps since they’ve been on the Commander for 5 years, perhaps I’m getting tired of how they look so in my mind, the wear is accelerated. Funny how the human mind works.
That is definitely a thing. I get tired of how a set of tires look after about 2 years then I convince myself I don’t like them haha.

Reactions: sabjku

TnK1

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Hollywood park, Tx
Member #

I work in a tire shop and almost every Cooper I have taken off of vehicles are cupped and ruined, this is especially true on Toyota’s in my experience. Conversely I’ve only seen a couple of bad nittos and we are putting nittos on more often than most other brands.

Reactions: sabjku

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

I work in a tire shop and almost every Cooper I have taken off of vehicles are cupped and ruined, this is especially true on Toyota’s in my experience. Conversely I’ve only seen a couple of bad nittos and we are putting nittos on more often than most other brands.
By definition, isn't the ruining wear you're describing the result of the vehicle's less than ideal mechanical condition rather than the tire itself? Correct me if I'm wrong, maybe tire quality has something to do with that. But my understanding of cupping is that its caused from a combo of:
-alignment
-incorrect tire pressure
-wrong tire size on wrong wheels (IE a super wide tire on a narrow OEM wheel)

Overland Commander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Woodstock, Cherokee County, Georgia, United States
First Name
Randell
Last Name
Beck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2QMS - The Commander
Service Branch
USN
So, I settled on the Coopers. Found a great price at Walmart. Got the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT.

60,000 mile tread warranty!

Reviews:
https://www.offroadxtreme.com/engine-tech/wheels-tires/cooper-discoverer-at3-xlt-tire-review/

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/wheels-tires/1810-cooper-discoverer-at3-xlt-tire-review/

I got the 305/55/r20 size which is 33x12.0.

I'm installing a Revtek 2" lift with them. Works with the rear air suspension. Allows up to 33x12.50 tires.

http://www.revtek.com/vehicle-selections/toyota/sequoia/2008-2018-sequoia-platinum-2wd-4wd.html

Last edited:
Reactions: JCWages

TnK1

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Hollywood park, Tx
Member #

By definition, isn't the ruining wear you're describing the result of the vehicle's less than ideal mechanical condition rather than the tire itself? Correct me if I'm wrong, maybe tire quality has something to do with that. But my understanding of cupping is that its caused from a combo of:
-alignment
-incorrect tire pressure
-wrong tire size on wrong wheels (IE a super wide tire on a narrow OEM wheel)
Yes this is normally true but with the number of coopers I have seen with issues on different makes and models of all sizes from 1ton trucks to small suvs running all terrains. I find it hard to believe everyone of those vehicles had something wrong mechanically. I have a friend that has been running coopers for years, he is on his second or third set, and he is actually the one that where I started noticing it at first. He also had his front end checked out multiple times and he’s on stock tire size. Maybe it’s all a coincidence but I personally will not run coopers as I consistently see more issues with the brand then anyone of the other top tier brands.

Reactions: Ben Cleveland

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

I’ll let you know how mine wear... I had it aligned right after installation and it is driving straight and true now. No lift for me. Just went up from 255/70R16 to 255/75R16.

James