Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Yes this is normally true but with the number of coopers I have seen with issues on different makes and models of all sizes from 1ton trucks to small suvs running all terrains. I find it hard to believe everyone of those vehicles had something wrong mechanically. I have a friend that has been running coopers for years, he is on his second or third set, and he is actually the one that where I started noticing it at first. He also had his front end checked out multiple times and he’s on stock tire size. Maybe it’s all a coincidence but I personally will not run coopers as I consistently see more issues with the brand then anyone of the other top tier brands.
Interesting. That totally makes sense to me.

While I never noticed those particular issues with my discoverer's on my tacoma, I was still underwhelmed with their performance. I can say that the st maxx's I'm running on my 4Runner now are the last chance I'm giving cooper. I've been happy with them so far, but I don't have many miles on them, and I still have a front end alignment issue that needs adjusting soon. Overall performance remains to be seen. If I don't get even wear and good traction for the life of the tire from these, I probably won't go back to coopers. They are for sure tough, I want tough with smooth even wear and good traction though. We'll see!

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

A buddy put Cooper ST Maxx on his new 4R (new as in 4K miles). Within a few weeks he had balance problems that went on for a few months. Discount Tire Direct sent him one new tire. After a few months of continued problems, DTD bought them back & replaces them with Nitto Ridge Grappler. Vehicle/tires performed as it should after that.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
How does the Sequoia do on fuel, especially now with the lift and bigger tires? Eventually I will have to upgrade my rig to something newer and this is one of a few on the list to look into.

Overland Commander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Woodstock, Cherokee County, Georgia, United States
First Name
Randell
Last Name
Beck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2QMS - The Commander
Service Branch
USN
How does the Sequoia do on fuel, especially now with the lift and bigger tires? Eventually I will have to upgrade my rig to something newer and this is one of a few on the list to look into.
These tires are only an inch bigger, slightly wider, more agrressive tread. So I dont expect to see much of a difference. Before the lift I got about 21-25 highway, and combined driving about 14-15. AFter the liftI got about 21-25 highway, and combined driving about 14-15.

I love this truck. toyotally impressed.

Overland Commander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Woodstock, Cherokee County, Georgia, United States
First Name
Randell
Last Name
Beck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2QMS - The Commander
Service Branch
USN

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

I just had E-rated 275/70r17 S/T Maxx tires mounted on my GX about two weeks ago. I’ve put 600 miles (~500 highway @ 70+mpg) on them so far and they’ve been smooth as butter. They are heavy though. They came highly recommended on TacomaWorld and Mud.

Clarkk

Rank I

Enthusiast I

USA
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Clark
Toyo Open Country AT3 and Nitto Ridge Grappler are the best choices for car dealers and buyers. Toyo Open Country AT3 has made it well-balanced with its chunks-and-cracks-resistant components. Most distinctly, its symmetrical pattern, as well as its voids, are all evenly distributed. The dynamic hybrid pattern of Ridge Grappler makes it to be so easy and quiet for on-road trips. These tires have good traction due to their tread featuring zig-zag patterns, a unique feature of Ridge Grappler.

Last edited: