Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Ultimately, I'd like an on board air system. But, space is a precious commodity when it comes to a Wrangler.
Indeed, but I also like the flexibility of the portable unit. And I think the Jeep probably has tons of working space compared to the under hood area of my Outback!

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Indeed, but I also like the flexibility of the portable unit. And I think the Jeep probably has tons of working space compared to the under hood area of my Outback!
Lol, probably. But yes, I do like the idea of a portable compressor. We have three vehicles. Right now I think the portability is more important than an on board system. If I ever find an m416 trailer to modify, I might put a compressor in that.

Maxterra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West Haven, Utah
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Horting
Member #

I used Stauns for many years. Seemed fairly accurate though one was very slow and really never closed down completely. Took a while to get them all adjusted, hooking them up to a portable air tank that has a built in gauge and testing again & again till correct.
I always thought they were pretty fast until my friend bought the ARB deflator.
Much quicker to use and you can easily adjust for any condition you want! Haven't used the Stauns since!

I'd used am inexpensive Tsunami compressor I'd won in a raffle several years ago which was surprisingly fast for a cheapo.
When I did ARB locker, I put in Viar Ultra OBA system with 2.5 gal tank, and the thing shuts off at 200psi, so lots more cu ft in the tank.
3 tires filled very fast and have to wait a bit in the 4th.

Quite liking having it on the rig now. I retired the Tsunami to the RZR.

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

Which tire deflator are we using?? I have an ARB, just curious to know what anyone else is using. Do I need to upgrade??

[EDIT] Merged posts from a similar thread

Last edited by a moderator:

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

I use the smittybilt tire deflators , they take a little adjustment but once dialed they work well.

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

In reading and talking to others I like the ARB unit as I can adjust pressure easily. The Staun types are set for one pressure setting.

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

My knockoff ARB hasn't been seating valve cores properly. It could be crud in the stem, a bad o-ring, or the knockoff is actually damaging the cores.

I think I'm going back to my Teraflex keychain

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

I just used my ARB a whole bunch on the OBX, I chose to deflate and re-inflate my tires to test the pump and deflate tool. I feel very confident with both. I accidentally dropped the ARB in the sand and then proceeded to jam my stem valve with sand. Easy to clean out, lesson learned.

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

We got tuff stuff deflators, very basic, easy, quick. As far as the pump 70$ at harbor freight instead of hundreds, works fine and fast but the gauge is crap.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I use an arb rapid deflator it's awesome.i like the ability to change pressures as I go.
Use a viair 400p to air up my 33s works great as well.
That's what I like most about the ARB. Many times I'm not needing to air all the way down, but going down to 20-22psi to smooth out the ride on easy off road stuff is nice. Not being stuck at a certain PSI has it's advantages.