Tire Deflators

• HTML tutorial

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

Holy crap, $100 for one deflator? I know mil-spec sounds good and the feature of multiple pre-sets is nice, but I could buy four different sets of deflators and just set them to different pressures for the price of two of these - and I would still be able to do all my tires at once.

dagen

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oakland, CA
Member #

Holy crap, $100 for one deflator? I know mil-spec sounds good and the feature of multiple pre-sets is nice, but I could buy four different sets of deflators and just set them to different pressures for the price of two of these - and I would still be able to do all my tires at once.
I know! Totally expensive, and not for everyone. . . I like that the presets are on there and you don't have to worry about them shifting.

dagen

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oakland, CA
Member #

ARB makes a good one. It is actually very accurate and fast
It's funny you mention those. I just picked up one of those ARB fast deflators after considering another, more expensive option. The ARB one is like you said, both fast and accurate. Looking forward to using it out in the desert shortly.

Lipek

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

@Steve
Some of my club members used to spend 20+ minutes airing down and 45 to an hour airing up with a small compressor. That cuts into trail time pretty bad in my opinion. They're nice to have.
20+ minutes to air down [emoji33][emoji31]
Dude you need to dump those people [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I used to have monster valves on my Fj, air down was < 20 sec, air up was <30 sec (12 to 40 psi on 295/75/16) Downside was that it only worked that fast using power tank.
Now I'm using ARB deflator and it takes me about 30-40sec per tire, for airing up I use ARB twin compressor and it takes me about 90 sec per tire.
At the end of the day it's not a race so unless you're spending more than 10-15 min airing up or down its a nice break.

Influencer II

Riverside,CA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Cochran
Member #

I'm shocked at people running 40-45 psi, man if I go past 30 on Toyo they are hard as rocks and they would wear down the middle of the tires. I run 28 psi on streets and 12 on trails. If you can slide a credit card underneath the tread of your tires while aired up you'll wear the middle first. Or you could chalk mark them as well. As far as 45 min to air up (yikes) are they using bike pumps lol?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Overland-Indiana

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I'm shocked at people running 40-45 psi, man if I go past 30 on Toyo they are hard as rocks and they would wear down the middle of the tires. I run 28 psi on streets and 12 on trails. If you can slide a credit card underneath the tread of your tires while aired up you'll wear the middle first. Or you could chalk mark them as well. As far as 45 min to air up (yikes) are they using bike pumps lol?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had a cheap Walmart 12v tire inflator, it took 15min per tire to take a 31" tire from 15psi to 30... Needless to say it got retired after my first trip and I bought a nice ViAir 400p that does each tire in 2min per.

Reactions: Lipek

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I did a lot of research for tire deflators and went with the Stauns 6 or 7 years ago,, set them up easily in my barn at 18 psi and haven't ever had to reset them.. Quality product.. I do have a Slime portable compressor that seems to work just as well as the Viairs I've seen used in the field.. I recently recieved as a gift one of those ARB deflators... Very well built, but I don't quite get the gizmology or the amount of space the unit uses up in my drawers.. Space isn't a big deal, until you overland for a month or more at a time, so the ARB deflator won't be going with us anytime soon..

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I did a lot of research for tire deflators and went with the Stauns 6 or 7 years ago,, set them up easily in my barn at 18 psi and haven't ever had to reset them.. Quality product.. I do have a Slime portable compressor that seems to work just as well as the Viairs I've seen used in the field.. I recently recieved as a gift one of those ARB deflators... Very well built, but I don't quite get the gizmology or the amount of space the unit uses up in my drawers.. Space isn't a big deal, until you overland for a month or more at a time, so the ARB deflator won't be going with us anytime soon..
I've been going round and round with which inflator to buy. I've just about pulled the lever on a Viair 400p automatic for $200. I've looked at lesser options like Slime. Also several on Ebay, Amazon, from Harbor Freight, etc. How long have you had the Slime? And do you have to oil it?

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I've been going round and round with which inflator to buy. I've just about pulled the lever on a Viair 400p automatic for $200. I've looked at lesser options like Slime. Also several on Ebay, Amazon, from Harbor Freight, etc. How long have you had the Slime? And do you have to oil it?
I've had the Slime pump now for at least 10 years, it's pretty much the same compressor as Viairs least expensive unit.. It's a bit slow, maybe 15 to 20 minutes for all four tires to get back up to 32 lbs.. It's never overheated, yet....

Reactions: ShawnR

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I've had the Slime pump now for at least 10 years, it's pretty much the same compressor as Viairs least expensive unit.. It's a bit slow, maybe 15 to 20 minutes for all four tires to get back up to 32 lbs.. It's never overheated, yet....
Thanks for the info.

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

Hey @ShawnR , check out the viair 400. I grabbed one for not much over 100 bucks and I used it to fill up about 10 rigs at the rally last year and it did just fine. About 1.5 minutes on BFG's to go from 18 to 38 or so. I also played with the Slime (they are here where I live) and it was "fine". Maybe some savings but I'd say the build quality was lacking compared to the Viair. There's lots of choices and lots of prices. After I spent way too much time researching, the 400 was the best deal.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Hey @ShawnR , check out the viair 400. I grabbed one for not much over 100 bucks and I used it to fill up about 10 rigs at the rally last year and it did just fine. About 1.5 minutes on BFG's to go from 18 to 38 or so. I also played with the Slime (they are here where I live) and it was "fine". Maybe some savings but I'd say the build quality was lacking compared to the Viair. There's lots of choices and lots of prices. After I spent way too much time researching, the 400 was the best deal.
I'm pretty set on buying the 400p, but the cheapest I've found was on Amazon for around $199. Do you know of any places online that has them cheaper? Ebay is even more expensive than Amazon. Thanks.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I'm pretty set on buying the 400p, but the cheapest I've found was on Amazon for around $199.
If you are going to spend $200 on the Viair 400P, consider spending $56 more for the Viair 450P kit. It has a lower flow rate, but is 100% duty cycle vs. the 33% on the 400P. The trade off in fill time vs waiting to cool might be very similar. I went the 450P route, strictly for the duty cycle, in case I wanted to fill something that took longer than the 400P would run.

Reactions: ShawnR

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
If you are going to spend $200 on the Viair 400P, consider spending $56 more for the Viair 450P kit. It has a lower flow rate, but is 100% duty cycle vs. the 33% on the 400P. The trade off in fill time vs waiting to cool might be very similar. I went the 450P route, strictly for the duty cycle, in case I wanted to fill something that took longer than the 400P would run.
Ugh. Your killing me Steve. I looked at the 450 also just for the 100% duty cycle. Told myself I didn't need it. But, really want it. I might just hold off on the purchase for now and see if I can find a deal on the 450. Since I live in an apartment, I've tried justifying the 450 since I don't have an air compressor. Ultimately, I'd like an on board air system. But, space is a precious commodity when it comes to a Wrangler. Though I have seen people mount them underneath.