Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Why do you think it would evin fir in the spare tire area?
I don't, he didn't give measurements but it is only 10 gal +2 reserve. It is small and flat and can be mounted under and in between frame rails if it dosent fit in a spare tire well ! It is about the thickness of a tire well. I have one and can give measurements if anyone wants them.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Here is something for you cost conscious tire pros out there that will mess with your heads. Remolds.

All Terrain & Mud Terrain Retread Tires
Really good prices and good warranty too. I use to use retreads for my racing activities and always got good results from specialities remolders. They are only as good as the carcuss they are molded too.

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

Really good prices and good warranty too. I use to use retreads for my racing activities and always got good results from specialities remolders. They are only as good as the carcuss they are molded too.
The prices are the same as what I have for new from Walmart.. Why buy retreads?

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
The prices are the same as what I have for new from Walmart.. Why buy retreads?
The prices I saw listed were $60 a tire cheaper than wally world. You cant beat $119 for a
275/R70/16. I would buy them for spares since they are 10 ply. I don't need anything right now myself and only buy new tires when I do buy, but that's me.

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

The prices I saw listed were $60 a tire cheaper than wally world. You cant beat $119 for a
275/R70/16. I would buy them for spares since they are 10 ply. I don't need anything right now myself and only buy new tires when I do buy, but that's me.
My current tires are $115.00 new at Walmart.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
My current tires are $115.00 new at Walmart.
What size are they and are they MT or AT ? I was looking at tires the other day and the size I looked at were $169 each in an AT. I didn't look at the brand because the tread didn't impress me.

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

Right now I'm leaning toward the same tires I have the Rough Terrains. I understand I will be at a disadvantage in the mud. I get that and have already been stuck in mud. A couple of feet of winching and I was clear. In most conditions and especially on the road I think these will do better and one day if I primarily off road I'll bite the bullet and get KO2's

Why am I wrong?

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Right now I'm leaning toward the same tires I have the Rough Terrains. I understand I will be at a disadvantage in the mud. I get that and have already been stuck in mud. A couple of feet of winching and I was clear. In most conditions and especially on the road I think these will do better and one day if I primarily off road I'll bite the bullet and get KO2's

Why am I wrong?
Your not, if most of your mileage is on the hwy. that must be considered. A lot of us use our vehicles as daily drivers as well. I hate noisy tires but they don't make noise on dirt roads. My BFG A/T's on my 4x4 Escape are noisy as hell and I can only imagine what a M/T would sound like. The same tire on my LRD2 makes no noise, so it must be in the insulation or that the LRD2 has a frame, sits on isolating bushings, where the Escape is a unibody that transfers more sound through the structure. Go figure. Driving skills are more important than tire type, except in extreme conditions where I don't go. IMO

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I had the old BFG style AT Treadwrights, on BFG carcasses, and they were not bad. The life was really good on them, but at about half tread they started getting pretty hard. Which happened to coincide with winter, and I was sliding and spinning like I was on ice! :p

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I had the old BFG style AT Treadwrights, on BFG carcasses, and they were not bad. The life was really good on them, but at about half tread they started getting pretty hard. Which happened to coincide with winter, and I was sliding and spinning like I was on ice! :p
I guess that's why it's good to have tire chains. I don't see that much snow or freezing weather but I won't be caught without chains after being stuck one time a hundred years ago in a surprise snow storm situation. Unfortunately there is no one tire that's good for every condition. I'd hate to live where I had to have two sets of tires for winter - summer driving but I know some people do have two sets.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

Why am I wrong?
I like the K02's tremendously and when I need new tires for the LRD2 I will buy them.

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Craig, is this rig a van or ? Cant tell from your pics. Is it 2 or 4 wheel drive ?
Born and breed Texan here !
2WD van! Ford E150 originally a Regency conversion. I bought at the end of May and am doing my own camper and 4wd conversions. I don't plan on doing the 4x4 until late fall / winter, and am enjoying it as much as possible until then. We took it to SW Colorado for 9 days last month and did a little over 2,3oo miles. I just had a temporary interior build in it, which I pulled back out as soon as we returned. I was actually just about to start doing the full interior (carpet, side paneling, ceiling) and replacing it with cedar on the ceilings, ship-lap on the walls, and faux hardwood flooring (vinyl planks). Until the accident... But first, here's the van when I bought it, and then now..

IMG_20190525_113657-3024x1512.jpg IMG_20190525_152151-3024x2268.jpg IMG_20190526_220614_461.jpg

IMG_20190707_140801.jpg IMG_20190706_182411.jpg

I bought a new table saw, since my old one is one of the cheap ones (like $100), which is not very accurate, nor is there much adjust-ability. The new one is far more adjustable, though when it arrived, pretty much everything that can be adjusted, needed it. Nothing was square or lined up correctly. So Sunday, after finally getting it all tuned up, I started in on making a wooden base for it. I have a notched out, hollow-core door that I use as an outfeed table, and the stand for the old saw was a little too tall for the new one. As I was cutting the legs to length, I made a couple poor decisions, and end up putting my left Thumb into the blade at full speed.. Of course, we rushed to the ER, all the while I thought for sure what was left would have to be amputated to the first joint.. Turns out, it wasn't as bad as I initially thought, and they will not have to take my thumb. Fortunately my thumb hit the top of the blade, rather than the front, so it did not get pulled in further. The blade basically took off the 'pad' of my thumb, where the print is, down to just shy of the bone. Bone was not damaged, the tendon was not severed (though may have been nicked), and eventually it should heal.

Of course, there is nothing left to suture, so I'm going to have to have a skin graft. Was supposted to get it done today, but had to switch surgeons last minute after finding out the first was not in my network, so finding one in network is saving me $1,200 out of pocket. I see him Monday, and hope to have the surgery asap next week. :(

I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could!! :p

I have actually lived in Texas longer than any other single state.. I was stationed in El Paso for a year or so, in the mid 90's, then moved to the DFW area from CA, back in early 2000. So I've lived in Texas for just over 20 years of my life, and I'm 44. My wife was born here, and has never lived anywhere else! In fact, where we are now is the farthest she's lived from her childhood home, which is ~18 miles from us.. :p

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
2WD van! Ford E150 originally a Regency conversion. I bought at the end of May and am doing my own camper and 4wd conversions. I don't plan on doing the 4x4 until late fall / winter, and am enjoying it as much as possible until then. We took it to SW Colorado for 9 days last month and did a little over 2,3oo miles. I just had a temporary interior build in it, which I pulled back out as soon as we returned. I was actually just about to start doing the full interior (carpet, side paneling, ceiling) and replacing it with cedar on the ceilings, ship-lap on the walls, and faux hardwood flooring (vinyl planks). Until the accident... But first, here's the van when I bought it, and then now..

View attachment 113127 View attachment 113128 View attachment 113129

View attachment 113142 View attachment 113141

I bought a new table saw, since my old one is one of the cheap ones (like $100), which is not very accurate, nor is there much adjust-ability. The new one is far more adjustable, though when it arrived, pretty much everything that can be adjusted, needed it. Nothing was square or lined up correctly. So Sunday, after finally getting it all tuned up, I started in on making a wooden base for it. I have a notched out, hollow-core door that I use as an outfeed table, and the stand for the old saw was a little too tall for the new one. As I was cutting the legs to length, I made a couple poor decisions, and end up putting my left Thumb into the blade at full speed.. Of course, we rushed to the ER, all the while I thought for sure what was left would have to be amputated to the first joint.. Turns out, it wasn't as bad as I initially thought, and they will not have to take my thumb. Fortunately my thumb hit the top of the blade, rather than the front, so it did not get pulled in further. The blade basically took off the 'pad' of my thumb, where the print is, down to just shy of the bone. Bone was not damaged, the tendon was not severed (though may have been nicked), and eventually it should heal.

Of course, there is nothing left to suture, so I'm going to have to have a skin graft. Was supposted to get it done today, but had to switch surgeons last minute after finding out the first was not in my network, so finding one in network is saving me $1,200 out of pocket. I see him Monday, and hope to have the surgery asap next week. :(

I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could!! :p

I have actually lived in Texas longer than any other single state.. I was stationed in El Paso for a year or so, in the mid 90's, then moved to the DFW area from CA, back in early 2000. So I've lived in Texas for just over 20 years of my life, and I'm 44. My wife was born here, and has never lived anywhere else! In fact, where we are now is the farthest she's lived from her childhood home, which is ~18 miles from us.. :p
OUCHHHHHH, DAMN, HOCKYPUCK, THAT EVEN HURTS ME !! Tools, especially power tools are soooo dangerous as you definitely know. I am sorry to hear about your accident and hope the skin graft works out the way it should. The medical system just plain sucks these days and doesn't serve us as it should. It's all about money like everything else these days.
I am a lover of Vans and bought a new Ford 8 passenger van in 1980. It was a short wheel base model. With six kids it served us well until it was wrecked in 1995 just after I built a new motor for it. I was born in El Paso and came to NM in 1996 after I closed my business and retired (somewhat). My friend don't believe all the BS you read about the shootings in EP. It is a black flag incident. Same as John Kennedy. No novice shooter can shoot eight people in the head when they are just standing there let alone running. I have a friend who was there in the store and she said there was at least 3 black hooded shooters in Walmart, and that was reported by several others. Big cover up going on there and a whole lot of lying by the Media..

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

OUCHHHHHH, DAMN, HOCKYPUCK, THAT EVEN HURTS ME !! Tools, especially power tools are soooo dangerous as you definitely know. I am sorry to hear about your accident and hope the skin graft works out the way it should. The medical system just plain sucks these days and doesn't serve us as it should. It's all about money like everything else these days.
I am a lover of Vans and bought a new Ford 8 passenger van in 1980. It was a short wheel base model. With six kids it served us well until it was wrecked in 1995 just after I built a new motor for it. I was born in El Paso and came to NM in 1996 after I closed my business and retired (somewhat). My friend don't believe all the BS you read about the shootings in EP. It is a black flag incident. Same as John Kennedy. No novice shooter can shoot eight people in the head when they are just standing there let alone running. I have a friend who was there in the store and she said there was at least 3 black hooded shooters in Walmart, and that was reported by several others. Big cover up going on there and a whole lot of lying by the Media..
The bad thing about my injury is that I think about getting cut ever time I use power saws, especially the table saw. My grandfather and one of my great uncles (my grandfather's BIL), were both lifelong cabinet makers, and both had lost fingers to table saws! My grandfather just lost the middle finger on his left hand (to the middle knuckle), but my uncle lost all 4 on his left hand! (also to the middle knuckles). I mean, in both cases they just hit the ends but they have to amputate to a joint.

And because of the speed, the cuts are rarely clean, and often cannot be reattached due to the amount of damage.

I won't gross you out with pics of my thumb, but here you can see the 'Fleshdust' (think sawdust) that was left on the saw.. :eek:

IMG_20190814_152752.jpg