Influencer I

Biarritz, France
First Name
Angus
Last Name
LastName
Member #

Hi folks,

After a great long chat with @Chris.n.world (thanks for your generosity and time) i think it’s time to sell my Jeep Wrangler. This is still a struggle to me but i think i need to open my eyes and accept some facts here…

My jeep is unique. I love it. And i hate it. I love the fact that it is 100% iconic. I love the history of the brand, i love the look, i love it now it has been lifted and added big nice tyres. I love the fact that i can drive top down on sunny days and even get rid of the doors. Each time i look at this wrangler i fall in love. Every single day, even when i do not drive it, i spend 5 minutes in the morning before going to work and 5 minutes in the evening when coming back home, walking around my jeep just to stare at it, because i just love every part of its aesthetic.

But those big mud tyres are so noisy on the pavement. The rear seats are so small to fit my two sons and our australian shepherd. The trunk is so small i can’t carry anything for a real trip… And i hate so much how driving this thing on the road is more like hoisting the sails of a boat.

And that’s when Overland Bound might change this game.

In Europe we have a strong community but it’s small in number. But still, strong. So everyone is quite far away from each other and if i want to (at least) meet members and participate or organize meetings, it’s not going to be a one hour drive… Our next hypothetical meeting would be a 20 hours pavement road trip before i actually get to the rally point and another 20 hours ride back. Not doable in my old wrangler which can't go on the highway. So i need a more able rig.

Aaaaand that’s the beginning of a lot of questions and a time consuming search.

Long story short, at the moment i do not have a lot of money to spend so any long wheelbased jeep is not an option. Then i might be wrong but, here in France there is a huge pressure on gazole and vehicles ban are popping in big cities and i am afraid they could be soon strictly forbidden, especially any engine made before 2005 (this is actually happening in Paris and its area). So i would prefer a petrol engine to make my investment more relevant, but makers have developed diesel engines so much that many rigs just do NOT exist with petrol engines… Such a shame…

The only design i truly love is the FJ cruiser but guess what : this beauty is not even sold in France. We have to import them. So there are something like 5 used units on the second-hand market, and they sell around 30K€ for a 2006 build… That’s a lot of money if you ask me :/

I know german second hand market could be an opportunity but i don’t know where to search. And the only thing i find that i can customize would be Toyota HDJ 80 or 100… Not looking as good as the jeep (imho) but more versatile for sure… And for something like 13-15K€ you get a rig with more than 400 000 kilometers… Which is so much even if reliable…

So here i am, sharing this with you guys and any kind of point of view or advice in this process would help.

Cheers :sweatsmile:

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Thry the Jeep KJ, it is very capable, very strong with its V6 and I drove with it ot Morocco and back, to Poland, France, the Netherlands, Wales and such, and it is very comfortable.
Downside, is the fuel usage.

And with a little trailer, you can go were ever you like.
Ohw, and I am willing to build some for you. Just as I have to build some stuff for @PeterC , @ALNSM_Overland/Jordan. But hey, If you like a trailer, we can work on that.

Cheers as well

76_overlander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Biarritz, France
First Name
Angus
Last Name
LastName
Member #

Thry the Jeep KJ, it is very capable, very strong with its V6
This is a beautiful toy i'd love but my story begins with "at the moment i don't have a lot of money to put in my rig so a long wheelbased jeep is not an option" :sweatsmile:

The JK with no particular gear is between 40 000 and 60 000 euros

hey, If you like a trailer, we can work on that
Wow ! How cool would it be :hearteyes: Let me find a rig and get back to you to start this project

76_overlander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Biarritz, France
First Name
Angus
Last Name
LastName
Member #

Oooh i thought you had interchanged the letters, sorry. Thank you for the link, going to check it out :)

edit : two pages of ads : 100% of gazole. Zero petrol :/

76_overlander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Biarritz, France
First Name
Angus
Last Name
LastName
Member #

i looked how i could import a vehicle from the netherlands to france and even on a second hand vehicle i'd have to pay the ecological malus like buying a brand new car, so it would add 5K to 10K euros. Damn... I guess i have no other choice than gazole... :/

EDIT : "fake news" :tearsofjoy:

In fact i would only have to pay for this tax if the vehicle was built after 2008. Older vehicle, no tax. Let's go back to hunting

Last edited:

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I have a Jeep TJ that was my daily driver and adventure vehicle since 2004. Like you, I love the vehicle but it wasn't the best for long multi-day drives on the road. In fact, I was always exhausted after driving it for more than 8 hours. 16 hours was my longest drive in that Jeep.

In 2015 I bought a Land Cruiser 100 with 246k miles (about 400 000km). I really enjoy the 100 and have put 60k miles (about 97 000km) on it in only 3 years. It is far more spacious than my Jeep TJ and much more comfortable on those long drives. I will continue driving and exploring with the 100 without concern. The 4.7L gas (petrol) engine we have is very reliable and known to last.

I am fortunate to have both the Jeep and Toyota. I still enjoy taking the Jeep out on occasion, but typically I am in the Toyota everyday.

Reactions: 76_overlander

76_overlander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Biarritz, France
First Name
Angus
Last Name
LastName
Member #

Thanks @KonzaLander your message is a great help! i love Toyota for its famous reliability but don't know how much it can take. I am somehow "afraid" of putting money in a 400 000km vehicle and expect it to drive me where i want without breaking pricey stuff. Did you have to change a lot of parts during those 100K km you drove ?

Reactions: KonzaLander

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Thanks @KonzaLander your message is a great help! i love Toyota for its famous reliability but don't know how much it can take. I am somehow "afraid" of putting money in a 400 000km vehicle and expect it to drive me where i want without breaking pricey stuff. Did you have to change a lot of parts during those 100K km you drove ?
I had to first catch up on maintenance that was ignored by the previous owner. Other than replacing all of the fluids and a few suspension bushings it was trouble free. My 100 is IFS and I had to replace the steering rack, front axles and ball joints since they were worn out. I also replaced the rear control arms because the bushings were bad. For the engine, I replaced all 8 coils packs, a MAF sensor and the fan bracket. I am due for another timing belt replacement, but that is expected maintenance.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

If you need some info from germany just ask.
I got some connections to crazy car professionals who are used to trade international.
I can agree, the jeep KJ like Roberts is really capable enough.
I also looked at the old Toyotas and all that was available was crazy overpriced...
If you want to, I can reach out a bit and see if anything interesting is available.

Something like this?
https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=259653687&utm_source=sharedAd&utm_medium=android

Dieses Angebot habe ich bei mobile.de gefunden:

Mitsubishi Pajero Sport GLS Allrad Klima AHK
Erstzulassung: 06/2004
Kilometerstand: 174.360 km
Kraftstoffart: Benzin
Leistung: 125 kW (170 PS)

Preis: 4.200 €

Last edited:

76_overlander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Biarritz, France
First Name
Angus
Last Name
LastName
Member #

Well i think - this is based upon my researches on the internet and talks, not from personal experience - that the Mitsubishi Pajero is a great 4x4. I kinda like its look but i've been told :

1) it is not as versatile as a HDJ : meaning it is not as able on the road, cruising at 90 to 100 km/h, which would be as fast as my YJ
2) it is kinda heavy so it explains 1)
3) customizing it would be more difficult than the HDJ

So i thought ok, no Pajero... But of course i like the interior of the one in this ad, its low mileage and even more the price of course...

Regarding the Jeep KJ, i have no doubt it is a very good rig and trust Robert and you. But... It might sound silly but my wife loves the jeep because it looks badass. She's ok to sell it but she still has an eye on what would replace it and when i showed her the KJ (and also the Land Cruiser KJ) she was like : ok. No. So unless i put a lot of money to pimp the aesthetic (whereas i would prefer to put the money into the build) i think it is better to think of other rigs.

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Well i think - this is based upon my researches on the internet and talks, not from personal experience - that the Mitsubishi Pajero is a great 4x4. I kinda like its look but i've been told :

1) it is not as versatile as a HDJ : meaning it is not as able on the road, cruising at 90 to 100 km/h, which would be as fast as my YJ
2) it is kinda heavy so it explains 1)
3) customizing it would be more difficult than the HDJ

So i thought ok, no Pajero... But of course i like the interior of the one in this ad, its low mileage and even more the price of course...

Regarding the Jeep KJ, i have no doubt it is a very good rig and trust Robert and you. But... It might sound silly but my wife loves the jeep because it looks badass. She's ok to sell it but she still has an eye on what would replace it and when i showed her the KJ (and also the Land Cruiser KJ) she was like : ok. No. So unless i put a lot of money to pimp the aesthetic (whereas i would prefer to put the money into the build) i think it is better to think of other rigs.

*UPDATED*

I would avoid the Montero Sport. They are not the same vehicle as the Montero.

Monteros cruise on the freeway just fine. My 2002 Montero XLS cruiseS at 80mph on the freeway at 3150rpm, with 31” tires and the short ratio rear end, smaller engine, and 4 speed transmission (3.5L and 4.9:1 rear end).

Less aftermarket support for bumpers unless you order from Australia. ARB still makes air lockers for them, and my local Mitsu dealer can still get all the OEM parts I need.

James

Last edited: