Thoughts on upgrading trans/rad/oil coolers on older model trucks(20+ years)?

• HTML tutorial

Kory Joseph

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Italy
First Name
Kory
Last Name
Joseph
Member #

What is everyones thoughts on upgrading their rigs to full aluminum or insulated lines? My truck is 25 years old and as far as I know the radiator is OEM. I'm worried that the high rpms that come from wheeling will degrade my engine without proper cooling...Thoughts?

willnicks

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

San Francisco
Member #

If your old radiator has plastic tanks I would. I plan to on an old truck of mine. If it's all aluminum I probably wold keep it.

I would also plumb a separate trans cooler if you have an integrated radiator/trans cooler now.

Kory Joseph

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Italy
First Name
Kory
Last Name
Joseph
Member #

If your old radiator has plastic tanks I would. I plan to on an old truck of mine. If it's all aluminum I probably wold keep it.

I would also plumb a separate trans cooler if you have an integrated radiator/trans cooler now.
I will have to check, but I am pretty sure it has a separate cooler. I am just not sure how efficient they are. I am already waiting for parts(thermostat, hoses, belts, ect) so I may just replace with high efficient parts if I can find it... with the truck being the 77 variant it is difficult/impossible to find aftermarket parts. (Or I just don’t have the knowledge)

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

The technology advances in heat transfer alone in 20+ years makes any upgrade worth it, within reason. An all aluminum radiator will allow more heat transfer, auxiliary transmission coolers will do the same. An engine oil cooler will help stabilize coolant temperatures as well. Another upgrade I would do is to upgrade to the latest synthetic transmission fluid from your vehicles manufacturer. Good luck, Ron

Kory Joseph

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Italy
First Name
Kory
Last Name
Joseph
Member #

@ohiowrangler Yes sir, I plan on flushing and changing all of my fluids as well, full syn. It will also give me a good point of reference as to how fast/bad parts are worn.

willnicks

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

San Francisco
Member #

I monitor my transmission temps at the pan and the torque converter with a Scangauge that plugs into the OBD port. Not sure if your landcruiser has a port like that. If not, installing a digital temperature gauge is a good idea imo.

High transmission temps on my Tundra when towing prompted me to install a secondary Derale transmission cooler with a fan. But in hindsight, I probably could have installed one or more fans on the stock trans cooler, triggered by a 180 degree thermostat to get a similar result. Anyway, now my temps are way down when I tow.

I also suggest you have your fluids analyzed after you change them out.
http://www.theoillab.co.uk/buy-kits/
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Kory Joseph

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Italy
First Name
Kory
Last Name
Joseph
Member #

Thanks for the info! The LandCruiser, being as old as it is, does not have an OBD port, but a digital therm sounds like a good idea. The truck has a stick monitor built into the shift column, but i am not sure if it is working.... I also thought about pulling the mechanical fan and shroud along with the rad and getting all elec coolers.