The Super Trooper Budget Build.- 1999 Isuzu Trooper

• HTML tutorial

ZuLander

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

San Marcos, Tx
Member #

So I have not had much time, nor the funds to do much recently. Most of my funds went to acquiring my new puppy and the vet bills that follow.

My new adventure buddy's name is Echo. He is an 8 week old Rhodesian Ridgeback. I have a lot of experience with dogs from working at a kennel/training facility in college and growing up with Labradors and Springer Spaniels, and I have got to say these Ridgebacks are no joke. This dog is so smart, hardheaded, and mischievous not to mention it's going to be about 100lbs. I will have my hands full for a while.

I also found a stray kitten a couple weeks back and I'm a sucker for animals so I have a kitten and a puppy at the moment. I am either a genius because my wife is unbelievably happy or an idiot because I have no money now for my vehicles. His name is Ranger.

As for the Isuzu, nothing great or monumental to report. It's still running really well. My biggest complaint is that all the weather stripping is garbage after 20 years and the doors leak in the rain which is why my carpet smells funny. I Found new replacements for $70 a door [emoji856] ouch.

At the moment it's at that edge of the point of no return. I'd still love to replace the carpet, rock sliders, and a proper roof rack but I am not sure I'll be able to afford to keep it on the road 5 years from now the way parts are disappearing. We shall see and hope for the best!

I did buy a spare tire cover from China (Trump voice). It is awesome!

Thanks for reading and keeping up with my humble, not so little rig. When Echo (not Ranger) gets older, I am throwing him and the wife in the Zu and headed for the hills! See you guys on the trail!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I can totally relate on parts, etc!! You-pull-it junkyards are you're friend! And rockauto dot com is a GREAT source for good parts. One of many examples: a new starter was around $119 at all local shops. SAME exact one at RA for $79.
Thanks for following along! Maybe we'll inspire you to keep that Trooper. They are fantastic and reliable beasts.

Traveler I

So I have not had much time, nor the funds to do much recently. Most of my funds went to acquiring my new puppy and the vet bills that follow.

My new adventure buddy's name is Echo. He is an 8 week old Rhodesian Ridgeback. I have a lot of experience with dogs from working at a kennel/training facility in college and growing up with Labradors and Springer Spaniels, and I have got to say these Ridgebacks are no joke. This dog is so smart, hardheaded, and mischievous not to mention it's going to be about 100lbs. I will have my hands full for a while.

I also found a stray kitten a couple weeks back and I'm a sucker for animals so I have a kitten and a puppy at the moment. I am either a genius because my wife is unbelievably happy or an idiot because I have no money now for my vehicles. His name is Ranger.

As for the Isuzu, nothing great or monumental to report. It's still running really well. My biggest complaint is that all the weather stripping is garbage after 20 years and the doors leak in the rain which is why my carpet smells funny. I Found new replacements for $70 a door [emoji856] ouch.

At the moment it's at that edge of the point of no return. I'd still love to replace the carpet, rock sliders, and a proper roof rack but I am not sure I'll be able to afford to keep it on the road 5 years from now the way parts are disappearing. We shall see and hope for the best!

I did buy a spare tire cover from China (Trump voice). It is awesome!

Thanks for reading and keeping up with my humble, not so little rig. When Echo (not Ranger) gets older, I am throwing him and the wife in the Zu and headed for the hills! See you guys on the trail!

I had a Rhodesian Ridgeback. I loved that dog. He was the most hard headed, fun dog. My parents had to get rid of him when I moved out because they didn't have the time:( He was about 105 lbs of solid muscle and could outrun my dirtbike. He would protect me with his life though. I will always miss Duke.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: NC-Trooper

NC-Trooper

US SouthEast Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

So nothing huge going on with my build. It's now just little stuff to keep it alive until something big comes along. You've all been here.

I've recently had issues with my front windows. The passenger one slipped out of the clamps of the lifting assembly and was stuck down, literally 5 minutes later it POURED for the rest of all night. My trash bag fix didn't do much and I went to work with a wet interior the next morning.

My buddy and I with some high grade 3M adhesive, put the window back into place and glued it. I literally, no exaggeration here, backed the Trooper out of his shop and the drivers window pops out of place and slides halfway down. I made it about 6 ft before t broke. Same problem as the passenger side and an easy fix.

Not ideal in the NC humidity and random downpours.

I'm in the process of replacing the radio head unit and speakers in the front doors. Nothing fancy just the cheapos from Wally World. The old speakers were shot and couldn't be heard with the windows down and not having an AUX cord port is killing me. The radio plays the same damn 12 songs over and over.

I'm waiting on the adapter harness to come in from EBay. Finding a harness for a 99 Trooper is apparently as easy as I thought. Isuzu was in cahoots with some many other car manufacturers that practically every model vehicle they made had a different wiring harness for the radio. Some were the same as Hondas & Acuras and others were GM. The Trooper seems to be it's own thing completely.

It's an odd ball, that's for sure.

The old speakers have had enough.

I got an OEM tray/shelf off eBay to replace the old CD player. I was stoked to stumble upon it. The "Isuzu" compatible kit from Walmart was a huge fail. With an OEM piece I'll know it fits and won't have to go "medieval on its ass."

I'll have more photos next week after I get everything in the mail and installed.

I've been trying to piece back together the trim. I got an OBD II sensor cover plate from a junk yard. Here's a little before and after:

I was way too excited to get hat piece of plastic installed!

My little guy Echo has almost quadrupled in size. He was 5lbs when I got him and now he pushing 20lbs. He is a great dog and I'm excited to have some adventures with him.

I'm headed westward into the mountains in July and to Uwharrie National Forest in 2 weeks for some much need wheeling and time away from it all.

Thanks for reading!

Reactions: k9sar

NC-Trooper

Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

Little update on the radio for the Trooper. Some quick before and after shots.

New Head unit and OEM shelf replacing I got off EBay the old head unit and CD Player.

Old front door speakers replaced with some newer ones.

The guy that owned the Trooper before me botched a lot of random stuff. For instance, Rather than replacing different interior clips and things of that nature he decided to use glue and screws. Luckily nothing unsightly and irreversible but I took the time to replace all the clips in the front doors. Cut down on some rattling that I had never noticed till it was gone!

Next week I'm headed to Uwharrie National Park to really push the Trooper and truly see what it can do. I want to see what needs improving on the rig and what I need to work on as a driver.

Last edited:

NC-Trooper

Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

Here's an update on the current progress and plans for the Trooper for those of you still keeping up with my dinky little build:

-Rock sliders
-CB radio setup
-winch and front bumper
- front seat windows tinted
- bigger tires!
- RTT!!!!!

Still have some stinky carpet! I got the doors to seal better with some man handling so the carpet isn't getting wet when it rains but it still smells a little funky. I did the ol dollar bill test and found my door seals were not even touching the rest of the car at some points. The road noise has gone down after the fix too.

I think my next big purchase Trooper related will be kayaks for the wife and I. I'm going to use her birthday in July as an excuse. What could go wrong? [emoji1417]

I washed the Trooper for the first time in way too long.

She's cleans up nice! Ready to get her dirty the 24th!

Went down some dirt roads the other day and climbed some random stuff. Just the dog, the wife and I. It doesn't get much better!

As always, TIPS, POINTERS, SUGGESTIONS, AND WISDOM ARE WELCOMED!

Reactions: ASNOBODY

NC-Trooper

Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

This past week was pretty productive. I went to my local Pull-a-Part to find some parts. I was in need of a headlight assembly and I was also hoping to find a replacement carpet but I had low expectations. All the carpet I found smelled putrid and were completely disgusting.

The old headlight was cracked really badly and the guy who owned it before me tried to fix it with caulk.

I found some other random trim pieces like the rear windshield wiper reservoir cover, but the big find was the OEM cup holder. It's the wrong color but works!

Isuzu made this cupholder with this quirky three pieces design. Seems pretty fragile.

I headed out to Uwharrie this weekend for some wheeling and hiking. It was a great to get and away from work. The trails were really wet after a week of rain but it was great to improve as a driver. That North Carolina red clay was crazy slick!

We came across a old Tacoma with a driveshaft that kept popping out and a Jeep came to the rescue. I had to take a photo for all the Jeeps out there. I may drive an Isuzu by my first love was a Jeep!

That poor Taco had to be towed all the way out of the trail. There was about 6 guys helping it but it the driveshaft kept popping out over and over. Sorry the photos are a bit lame I was trying to watch my dog some jerks were riding off trail to go around the broken down Tacoma and almost ran the little guy and me over.

Echo loved every minute of it. For his age he is great on the trail and on hikes. Best dog I've ever had and that's saying a lot!

father in laws JK.

As I was riding it became clear the Trooper needs armor (said this already in an earlier post), a rear locker, and bigger tires.

In half a month I'm headed to Pittsburgh to visit some of the wife's family and I'm thinking about driving the Trooper. I'm just contemplating its reliability. I have never had any issues at all with it but that's a long haul for the ole girl.

Any body with experience with Troopers please feel free to weigh in. I am thinking about the ARB locker but it's pricey!

Last edited:
Reactions: k9sar and ASNOBODY

NC-Trooper

Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

I've done a lot to and with the Trooper in the last month.

I spent a day and night wheeling and then camping at Uwharrie National Forest. The Trooper did great but it was my first time ever wheeling by myself and I was very worried about smashing my oil pan and being stranded.

Admittedly the Trooper had a hard time with the hill climb on the Dutch John, in hindsight I should've have aired down. Regardless I now know that my 245's Coopers were not going to cut it. So I have sense bought Falken 265's and installed them yesterday.

I will going to Brown Mountain OHV Friday and I am anxious to see how they do. They added height and ground clearance is awesome for the coolness factor alone.

I built a camping setup on the back that can be removed easily. It does not stay in the car but rather in storage until I need it. It's really simple and I'm sorry for the lack of a good photo but it is simply subflooring and 2x4's with marine carpet. I have foam padding and a sheet the form a mattress on top. All my recovery gear and camping supplies fits underneath.

Echo my Ridgeback puppy seemed to enjoy it. It slept well when it was just me and him but damn it was hot. I'm eager to try it again when the summer comes to an end.

I also made curtains for privacy and mosquitos nets for the windows but I don't have any photos of that at the moment.

I also took some bungee from an old kayak and made a storage system in the back driver side window for life jackets or day bags.

I also saw this idea on OB and used it. I mounted a hatchet on the rear barn door where the handle used to be.

Next up is an oil pan skid plate from Asfir 4x4 and some rock sliders. After that I'm not sure, it'll probably be complete for the time being with the exception of some small stuff and maintenance to keep ole Su on the road.

On a side note I learned while taking the Isuzu to Pittsburgh and back that it is burning oil like crazy but there are no obvious leaks??? Any you Isuzu veterans have any wisdom to bestow upon me?

Thanks for reading!

Reactions: ASNOBODY and GXAndy

GXAndy

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

3265 Cauble Road, Salisbury, NC, USA
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Linker
Member #

Sorry-- on the oil-burning thing... mine is a 98 and I really have to stay on top of the EGR staying clean to keep from burning oil quickly... there was a design flaw in the piston design that prevents oil flowing back easil that is exacerbated by grubbiness... Per Jerry Lemond, I went to a high detergent oil (Rotella T6) and have seen a significant improvement.

I use seafoam in the crankcase about a week prior to an oil change as well to get some cleaning done...

NC-Trooper

Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

Sorry-- on the oil-burning thing... mine is a 98 and I really have to stay on top of the EGR staying clean to keep from burning oil quickly... there was a design flaw in the piston design that prevents oil flowing back easil that is exacerbated by grubbiness... Per Jerry Lemond, I went to a high detergent oil (Rotella T6) and have seen a significant improvement.

I use seafoam in the crankcase about a week prior to an oil change as well to get some cleaning done...
I actually cleaned the EGR tubing and replaced the valve itself when I bought Su in the fall so I'll have to take at it again, it may be clogging up again.

NC-Trooper

Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

This is great!

Love seeing your updates...

Now--find us a way to (easily) install a hidden winch up front!

I went to Uwharrie last Wednesday night--I was really impressed with how well the Trooper did--I, too, should have aired down.

View attachment 30076
What trails did you do?

GXAndy

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

3265 Cauble Road, Salisbury, NC, USA
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Linker
Member #

I was all proud--I was on Daniel and made it to the top!

then we learned we came up Daniels backside. wow, that sounds obscene.

We came in at the outpost, started Rocky Mountain Loop, to Sawmill, to SlabPile to WolfDen then Dutch John (up the steep side) back to Rocky Mount then up Daniel's hind end.

Was my first trip--I had looked into doing the "Off Road Training Course" offered... but at $300... I had a buddy volunteer to take me as he grew up going there and knew them well--it was great! I am hooked!

NC-Trooper

Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

I was all proud--I was on Daniel and made it to the top!

then we learned we came up Daniels backside. wow, that sounds obscene.

We came in at the outpost, started Rocky Mountain Loop, to Sawmill, to SlabPile to WolfDen then Dutch John (up the steep side) back to Rocky Mount then up Daniel's hind end.

Was my first trip--I had looked into doing the "Off Road Training Course" offered... but at $300... I had a buddy volunteer to take me as he grew up going there and knew them well--it was great! I am hooked!
I love good Ole Eldorado outpost. That's sounds like a lot of fun. Hit me up next time you go and I'll meet your there! The name is John!

NC-Trooper

Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

I installed my smittybilt jerry can basket last night. It was a good price but for some reason I expected the jerry can to come with it. Rookie Mistake.

I need to clean up the install of the license plate and the light for it. I was rushed at the end to get it installed in time to get my wife from work.

I put up the beginning of my rooftop patches.

I also have started recently chronicling everywhere the Trooper has been with stickers.

That's about it, nothing too special going on with my other car needing some love. These stupid German cars are a pain in the ass to maintain.

Reactions: maxfederle89

Landon Shaw

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

I installed my smittybilt jerry can basket last night. It was a good price but for some reason I expected the jerry can to come with it. Rookie Mistake.

I need to clean up the install of the license plate and the light for it. I was rushed at the end to get it installed in time to get my wife from work.

I put up the beginning of my rooftop patches.

I also have started recently chronicling everywhere the Trooper has been with stickers.

That's about it, nothing too special going on with my other car needing some love. These stupid German cars are a pain in the ass to maintain.

Found your build love the pallet in the back. I do the same thing with the seats flat in mine.