Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

Just got back from a nice trip to Western NC. We went to Brown Mtn OHV to wheel and picnic then down to Bryson City for a couple days.

Went to the deeper part of the puddle at Brown Mtn. The Falken 265's added some height to my rig so I was feeling brave.

I took some harder lines considering I had been here before so I felt pretty comfortable even though I was alone. I had the trails to myself besides a couple dirt bikes and 1 Jeep JK. It started pouring as we were coming down the mountain and the trails got muddy quick.

Echo doing his hound dog thing, his nose is constantly to the ground.

We went into Nantahala National Park and I found a dirt road that led us all the way to the top of a mountain. Heck of a find, I'll add more details about so some of you can check it out. No airing down or even 4 wheel drive necessary, just a little ground clearance.

There are double steel bridges at the beginning which make a good photo spot and plenty of whitewater rafters to wave at passing underneath.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

NC-Trooper

US SouthEast Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

So I've got a couple updates on what the next steps with be for the Trooper. I've decided to keep it for as long as humanly possible. If the engine blows I'll just throw in a new one, I have no interest in going in debt for a new car. I like having a rig I can push relatively hard. I am not interested in having a rig that is capable but so nice and expensive I'm afraid to try anything a little risky. Tiptoeing through cupcake trails is not my idea of a good time.

The engine in my '99 Jeep WJ started knocking so I unloaded it and went into debt for my Mini. I love that Mini but I hate that I got rid of the Jeep and went into debt. Looking back I would have just got a junkyard motor for the Jeep and kept rolling. I regret selling that Jeep to the day, it was fantastic, the previous owner just didn't change the oil enough. I would like not to repeat that mistake, So the Trooper is staying!

Eventually I won't have to use the Trooper for daily driving and it'll be my adventure only vehicle. With that being said I'm going to buy some Trooper specific parts while they are still available no the market. I'd love to buy a parts car after I buy a house so I have somewhere to store it.

So I need rock protection, I've been saying it for months. So later this week I will be ordering Rocky Road Outfitters rock sliders. I chose these because they are bolt on and slightly cheaper than the others I've looked at. Here are some photos off their website:

I will also be buying some skid plates from Asfir. I'll start with the front skids for my oil pan and work my way back.

I'm going to improve the front and rear approach angle on the Trooper. I'm going to trim the front bumper and remove the OEM mud flaps in the rear. I will take the OEM fog lights and rerouted the wiring to power some Hella 500's on the front bumper. I had the same setup on my old WJ.

Here is a rough drawing I did. The blue are changes. (Side note: I am not an artist, I took weight lifting and gym back in high school and not a single art class so it is rough)

Here's what the setup looked like on the old WJ.

Mounting the lights on a plastic bumper requires reinforcing it with a pieces of aluminum. It's really simple and doesn't require any metal working experience really. I'll do a little step by step when I get around to installing it.

Lastly I'm going to order and install a roof rack. I was not going to initially because I need to be able to carry 2 kayaks on the roof but I think I can make it work. I'll use it to store my traction boards, and high lift jack.

Here are some photos from the NC/SC meetup and Uwharrie. Can't wait for the next time!

I finally got up the Dutch John hill climb. A good spotter and finding the right line made all the difference. Definitely learned a lot. Airing down really made the ride softer and I could feel the tires gripping better too. After this next step in the build I'm taking on the Daniel Trail and Dickey Bell at Uwharrie, once completed I will have conquered all the trails at Uwharrie.

Last edited:

NC-Trooper

Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

I also forgot to mention that I am installing a CB set up. I have kind of become the unofficial Overland Bound NC group events coordinator and I need to be able to communicate with the group. I noticed a couple rigs in our group have CB radios so being that I guess I will be at the front of the pack, being able to speak with others behind me seems like it would be prudent.

I am going to mount it to the back barn doors.

Just something cheap, I may buy something nicer later on.

Thanks for reading

NC-Trooper

Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

You are definitely headed in the right direction. Trooper is infinitely cooler than the Jeep. Keep it up man.
Thanks, the size of Trooper is great in comparison to the Jeep, the visibility as well is much better.

Vertigo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bowling Green, KY
Member #

I love your Trooper! You're well documented and I love the frugality of the build. If I may, when you mount your CB antenna, I recommend to get a spring. Your antenna mounts to the spring, spring mounts to the antenna mount. I have a pic in my build thread if I'm sounding dumb. Kept me from snapping the firestick.

NC-Trooper

Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

I love your Trooper! You're well documented and I love the frugality of the build. If I may, when you mount your CB antenna, I recommend to get a spring. Your antenna mounts to the spring, spring mounts to the antenna mount. I have a pic in my build thread if I'm sounding dumb. Kept me from snapping the firestick.
Good to know! I'll make sure to look into that.

Thanks, I have tried to keep it relatively cheap. It is kind of fun to have a tight budget, it makes me get creative and do things myself.

Vertigo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bowling Green, KY
Member #

Good to know! I'll make sure to look into that.

Thanks, I have tried to keep it relatively cheap. It is kind of fun to have a tight budget, it makes me get creative and do things myself.

I agree! I'm building mine the same way. Wife is making me restore her MG, so I am building mine on the EL. It's like the DL, but Even Lower.

NC-Trooper

Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

Rock sliders are on! They are Supersliders from Rocky Road Outfitters. They sold them to me for the price of their basic rock rails because they've had these supersliders in stock for a while. Seems like a really high quality piece. They weigh about 50 lbs each.

Simple to install but my drill bit broke and that made it a pain.

They make good off-road gear but their sticker craftsmanship is a bit lacking.

I also made some limb risers in the cheap, about $27. They detach and can be stored in my new rack.

Took the old girl out on some friend's land to shoot guns and drink beer. I hit some trails and back roads, nothing too fun.

Up next:
-Asfir 4x4 skid plate
-OEM mud flap removal
-Finish the CB setup
-Go to Overland Expo East!!!!!!
-OME Rear Springs to get rid of the rear sagging.
-Then save up for ARB front locker and supporting hardware like beefed up CV joints.
-12 Volt fan for sleeping setup.
-Fold down table/shelf on the rear barn door.

Im making a solar shower out of black PVC very soon. I plan on going to Cape Lookout the second week of October and I am going to make a whole shower setup to keep the wife happy. I can go days without showering so I could not care less.

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
Dude love your rig! I just bought a WJ and have started into it. I love frugal builds and uncommon rigs (at least I haven't seen many Troopers in my short life). I will be checking in and reading your build!

Could I ask you one thing? What are the limb risers for? I've seen them and like yours but I've never looked up what they're for. But I think I could make them if I have a use for them too[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

NC-Trooper

Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

Dude love your rig! I just bought a WJ and have started into it. I love frugal builds and uncommon rigs (at least I haven't seen many Troopers in my short life). I will be checking in and reading your build!

Could I ask you one thing? What are the limb risers for? I've seen them and like yours but I've never looked up what they're for. But I think I could make them if I have a use for them too[emoji106]

Limb risers push tree limbs and other brush up and away from your windshield. It helps keep your windshield from getting scratched up.

Thanks for the kind words! It's been a lot of fun.

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
Limb risers push tree limbs and other brush up and away from your windshield. It helps keep your windshield from getting scratched up.

Thanks for the kind words! It's been a lot of fun.

Thanks brotha I'm going to check them out! I gotta make some like yours so I can take them off when I'm mall crawling!

Absolutely. I may drive just a WJ and there are so many other kinds of vehicles but that doesn't matter. The diversity makes this forum so cool. I am a creative person that thrives from think take style resources. So getting to see so many creative and practical ideas just gets me going and thinking for my WJ. [emoji106][emoji106]

NC-Trooper

Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

Thanks brotha I'm going to check them out! I gotta make some like yours so I can take them off when I'm mall crawling!

Absolutely. I may drive just a WJ and there are so many other kinds of vehicles but that doesn't matter. The diversity makes this forum so cool. I am a creative person that thrives from think take style resources. So getting to see so many creative and practical ideas just gets me going and thinking for my WJ. [emoji106][emoji106]

My first car was a '99 WJ I loved that thing. It's was really capable out of the box. Does yours have the mysterious 1 Taillight out problem?

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
My first car was a '99 WJ I loved that thing. It's was really capable out of the box. Does yours have the mysterious 1 Taillight out problem?

I actually didn't have any running lights but my brake lights worked. Figured out the sockets were in backwards and flexed the tabs out more [emoji106]