-Isuzu canvas tire cover
-DIY RTT setup
-Upgraded stereo head unit and front door speakers
-Pro Comp ES3000 shocks
-Smittybilt Jerry Can Holder
-Smittybilt Spare Tire Mounted Awning
- Arksen Roof Rack
-an ass load of stickers from everywhere the Isuzu takes me

I've also replaced a whole plethora of OEM trim pieces.

Upcoming Modifications:

-Second front tow hook
-OME rear springs
-Iron Block LS swap (pipe dream)
-manual transmission swap
-off-roading bumper
-proper RTT
-CB setup
-carpet replaced
-oil pan skid plate
-ARB front bumper w/ a winch
-high lift jack
-front locker and supporting drivetrain mods
-DIY shower setup
--——-----------------------------------------
Backstory:

I used to mildly wheel in my 1999 Jeep WJ a couple years back but it died and I bought an 2009 Mini Cooper S. I still have the Mini and have done extensive modifications to it but I'm a truck guy at heart.

I bought the Trooper for $1,800.00. It was rough but mechanically sound and everything worked. 170,000 miles.

I promptly got it professionally detailed to try to save the interior. Everything but the carpet cleaned up nice.

Here's some before and after.

The interior on this car now is very clean and everything works. The exterior just wasn't salvageable at a reasonable expense.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Last edited:

NC-Trooper

US SouthEast Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

The purpose of this build is my daily driver that can get me, my wife, and Rhodesian Ridgeback pup out into the wild. I have a deep love for camping and all things automotive so overlanding is my crack. We are young and just starting off so this is a very budget minded build. I'm relying on my creativity (and YOURS because I'll "borrow" a good DIY idea in a heartbeat.) I will NEVER SKIMP on the important stuff like first-aid, fire extinguisher, tires, etc.

I cleaned it up on the inside and painted the wheels. The paint was in such bad condition that bed-lined it with rattle cans. $50 paint job!!

I apologize that the photos are not ideal. I did not consider that I would start a build thread when I took them. They will get better!

NC-Trooper

Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

The tires I bought the Trooper with were bald. My buddy who owns a shop gets me great deals on stuff and is a huge resource for mechanical knowledge. I got these Coopers for $103.00 each and mounted and balanced them myself in the shop to save on labor!

The old interior lighting was not cutting it so I bought an LED strip that plugs into my cigarette outlet for $5 off eBay. They are meant to be mounted behind a TV and are not waterproof so I mounted them it what should remain a dry location. *fingers crossed*

Should make operating out of the back of the rig at night 100x easier.

NC-Trooper

Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

DIY Roof-Top Tent Build:

Here's my build for my RTT. It's certainly not pretty but it should work. Keep in mind it's just a prototype and it'll get better with time.

Price Breakdown:
Tent- FREE (wedding gift)
C-Track supports- FREE (I can get scrap metal from work)
Hardware- U-bolts, door hinge, wooden sub flooring $54 (but I had a $50 Home Depot card from my wedding)

The c-track goes across the roof rack..

Then the board that is in 2 pieces is positioned on top of the c-track. Once it's in place I put the door hinge bolts in and that connects the 2 pieces of sub-flooring together. It's in 2 because the wood is so freaking heavy in one solid piece and it stores easily into the Trooper for travel.

Next the U-Bolts run up through the board. It sandwiches the c-track in between the roof rack and the board. I had my 100 lb. wife try it out before my 200 lb. self did.

Then the tent goes on top. Easy enough! Still working on a way to securely strap it down.

Thanks for reading!!

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

Keep up the good work. I had a Trooper for many years and almost 200k miles. I think Calmini is still producing aftermarket parts for them.

Reactions: hopdup

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

It's to bad Isuzu stop selling suv's cause man they made do good stuff. The bright side of one that's rough on the outside is not caring about scratches and dents as much. Do you plan on building any armor for it?

Reactions: roamingram44

NC-Trooper

Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

It's to bad Isuzu stop selling suv's cause man they made do good stuff. The bright side of one that's rough on the outside is not caring about scratches and dents as much. Do you plan on building any armor for it?
That was exactly my thought behind it. I couldn't justify spending any real money on body work or paint.

I lived in Australia for a couple years and they Isuzu's they have there like the D-Max are sweet. I wish we had them here!

I'm not sure if I'll armor it up or not. I'm not in a financial position to drop a ton of money but I know a lot of welders so maybe I can get a deal.

Thanks for reading!

NC-Trooper

Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

I went to mount my Curt brand trailer hitch this morning before the winter weather made its way down here to NC but that didn't happen. As I went to bolt it in I learned that the previous owner must have had a trailer hitch and broke the bolt off in the hole, thus putting the hitch on hold.

I am not sure how to get it out and I'd really like to have the hitch installed because they are so useful but I'm at a loss on how to do it. ADVISE NEEDED!

So I moved on the cleaning out the rig some more and repairing some things.

The CD player made an awful racket when I started the Trooper and since I don't even own a CD I pulled it out, unplugged it, and reinstalled it. I'll eventually remove it permanently and put a CB or something like that in there but for now I'll leave it. The same goes for the tape player. I'm a Millennial, I barely know what that is!

I got impulsive and painted the trim piece around the radio. I immediately regretted my decision when I began to paint but after I installed everything back together it has started growing on me.

What do you think? Thoughts?

While the trim was out of place I wired my rear LED lights to have a much cleaners look. I hate clutter around me while I drive!

I also swapped out the broken taillight. $10 from the scrap yard!

If you read this far down and have any pointers to remove that bolt I'd be super appreciative.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Reactions: maxfederle89

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

I went to mount my Curt brand trailer hitch this morning before the winter weather made its way down here to NC but that didn't happen. As I went to bolt it in I learned that the previous owner must have had a trailer hitch and broke the bolt off in the hole, thus putting the hitch on hold.

I am not sure how to get it out and I'd really like to have the hitch installed because they are so useful but I'm at a loss on how to do it. ADVISE NEEDED!

So I moved on the cleaning out the rig some more and repairing some things.

The CD player made an awful racket when I started Frank and since I don't even own a CD I pulled it out, unplugged it, and reinstalled it. I'll eventually remove it permanently and put a CB or something like that in there but for now I'll leave it. The same goes for the tape player. I'm a Millennial, I barely know what that is!

I got impulsive and painted the trim piece around the radio. I immediately regretted my decision when I began to paint but after I installed everything back together it has started growing on me.

What do you think? Thoughts?

While the trim was out of place I wired my rear LED lights to have a much cleaners look. I hate clutter around me while I drive!

I also swapped out the broken taillight. $10 from the scrap yard!

If you read this far down and have any pointers to remove that bolt I'd be super appreciative.

Thanks for reading!

Do you have a drill? Easy outs are fairly inexpensive. Can you get to the top side of that bolt? If so are there threads sticking out? No matter what you try soak ok with wd40 a couple times.

NC-Trooper

Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

Do you have a drill? Easy outs are fairly inexpensive. Can you get to the top side of that bolt? If so are there threads sticking out? No matter what you try soak ok with wd40 a couple times.
I can't get to the top side of the bolt.

I have a drill I'll look into a easy out at Lowes.

Thanks

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

If there is enough space on the hitch mount to drill another hole you could do that as well and would be way easier than the bolt extraction.

NC-Trooper

Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

If there is enough space on the hitch mount to drill another hole you could do that as well and would be way easier than the bolt extraction.
I am going to have to get my buddy who owns a shop to mount it Monday. Ive been defeated haha. It's an absolute bear for one guy to do.

roamingram44

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bowling green ky
Member #

I am going to have to get my buddy who owns a shop to mount it Monday. Ive been defeated haha. It's an absolute bear for one guy to do.

I know the feeling it sucks taking it to a garage when you're a dyi kinda guy. I think im about to for a squeak ive been trying to track down for monthes.

Member #4113

NC-Trooper

Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

I know the feeling it sucks taking it to a garage when you're a dyi kinda guy. I think im about to for a squeak ive been trying to track down for monthes.

Member #4113
Squeaks are a rabbit hole sometimes man