Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

So I swung by my buddies shop before work and snuck in some wrench time. About 30 minutes later and we are riding 2" higher.

I used Rubicon Express 2" coil spacers in the back from a Jeep JK Wrangler and turned the torsion keys in the front. Eventually I will go to a more proper and permanent lift but this will do for now while I'm just starting off. I don't want to get carried away (yet.)

Before:

After:

Hand fitment test:

Before:

After:

This weekend it's off the Pisgah National Forest to break it in and see what needs to be done next!

Member #4197

NC-Trooper

US SouthEast Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

What's up party people!

Finally got out and had an adventure! Tried out Brown Mountain, NC OHV in Pisgah National Forest and it was awesome. The Trooper did really well and had no issues. It surprised me how capable it was. I camped out on the other side of the park with my wife. It was great trying out all our new gear. Only issue was I'm 6'1" and the back of the Trooper is not so sleeping in the back was rough.

My father in law brought his JK out. We stopped here and had a nice picnic with the rest of the family. He was shocked how well the Trooper did and said he was proud to have owned one 20 years ago.

My mighty Trooper standing tall.

Brown Mountain Beach is a really pretty place to check out. It's great to climb down into the gorge, hop on a rock and enjoy the sunshine while the occasional white water kayaker paddles by. If anyone is interested I can write up and post in the trips thread all about my findings. Sorry my pictures suck. I tried not to have my phone with me that much this weekend.

FUTURE PLANS:

First off, the Trooper needs armor. It'll never be a rock crawler but there was one obstacle this weekend, thanks to some shotty spotting [emoji36], it took a hit. Nothing got broken and thankfully Isuzu had the foresight to build it decent protection from factory but I about shit myself initially.

Second, I think I am going to strip the interior carpeting and replace it with marine carpet if reasonably priced. Any other alternatives or ideas are appreciated. I'm looking for something durable, weather resistant, and cheap. The current carpet is smelly and too far gone.

Third, I'm thinking about making the front doors removable by adding clevis pins in the hinges with some type of tube door replacement. It should make off-roading easier and beach trips more fun. Not a 100% sure but I'm open to suggestions and advice.

FEEDBACK IS ALWAYS APPRECIATED. THANKS FOR READING! [emoji41]

Member #4197

Last edited:

hopdup

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Aliquippa
Member #

Seriously following this thread. I used to work on Isuzu's. My first rig was a '92 Amigo 4cyl. 5spd.

You can also flip the upper ball joints. This will give about a 1/2" lift up front. Also, it will decrease the angle of the upper ball joint when cranking the torsion bars.

Lastly, those engines suffered from the dreaded oil consumption. The EGR tube will clog inside the intake. Causing the #6 cylinder to run hot & burn oil. Change your oil religiously at 3000. Make sure to pull the throttle body & clean the EGR tube with a long piece of wire. Then re-clean with a long brush. If you pull the EGR off you can blow pressurized air through the tube to further clean it out.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

NC-Trooper

Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

Seriously following this thread. I used to work on Isuzu's. My first rig was a '92 Amigo 4cyl. 5spd.

You can also flip the upper ball joints. This will give about a 1/2" lift up front. Also, it will decrease the angle of the upper ball joint when cranking the torsion bars.

Lastly, those engines suffered from the dreaded oil consumption. The EGR tube will clog inside the intake. Causing the #6 cylinder to run hot & burn oil. Change your oil religiously at 3000. Make sure to pull the throttle body & clean the EGR tube with a long piece of wire. Then re-clean with a long brush. If you pull the EGR off you can blow pressurized air through the tube to further clean it out.

I have had issues with the EGR throwing a check engine light but I got it all cleaned out about 2-3 weeks ago but it still throws the code every once in a while. Super frustrating!

Thanks for the heads up on the ball joint, I'll probably get around to that once I get some free time.

Member #4197

roamingram44

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bowling green ky
Member #

As far as your carpet situation what about spray in bedliner? Then that gives you the option to hose the floor off. Its what a lot of my buddies with heavily modded jeeps do

Member #4113

Reactions: maxfederle89

NC-Trooper

Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

It most likely needs a new valve. They get very clogged with carbon deposits.

Do you know what that would run me costs wise? A rough estimate is fine just so I don't get worked over.

Thanks

Member #4197

hopdup

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Aliquippa
Member #

Parts look to be in the range of $135-$145. That's through Rock-Auto. Now, depending on what shop you go to labor rate is gonna vary. In all honesty, they aren't hard to replace. It's two bolts and cleaning off the old gasket material.

NC-Trooper

Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

As far as your carpet situation what about spray in bedliner? Then that gives you the option to hose the floor off. Its what a lot of my buddies with heavily modded jeeps do

Member #4113
I was thinking about that. It would be pretty easy and cheap[emoji848]

Member #4197

NC-Trooper

Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

When i start my s10 project thats my plan

Member #4113
I am curious about how much road noise it would cause? Not that my Trooper is quiet now but it's not bad, especially with me running A/T's.

NC-Trooper

Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

Parts look to be in the range of $135-$145. That's through Rock-Auto. Now, depending on what shop you go to labor rate is gonna vary. In all honesty, they aren't hard to replace. It's two bolts and cleaning off the old gasket material.

I am pretty mechanically inclined as well as having a friend with a shop that gives me a good price on labor, so it will get fix one way or another. I am going to get him to look into it here momentarily.

You know of any good resources, books in particular, that would help me with this truck?

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I am pretty mechanically inclined as well as having a friend with a shop that gives me a good price on labor, so it will get fix one way or another. I am going to get him to look into it here momentarily.

You know of any good resources, books in particular, that would help me with this truck?
Are you looking for something like a shop manual? I may or may not have an electronic copy...