Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I will see if I have enough space left in my google drive. This sucker is damn near 24k pages (it has all the 99 - 02 suvs from isuzu in it) of pdf. May have to resort to sending you a flashdrive.

NC-Trooper

US SouthEast Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

I will see if I have enough space left in my google drive. This sucker is damn near 24k pages (it has all the 99 - 02 suvs from isuzu in it) of pdf. May have to resort to sending you a flashdrive.
Dang ok, let me know if I can help. I appreciate it

Member #4197

NC-Trooper

Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

Well here's a quick lesson in the use of Locktite. Walked outside this morning and EVERYTHING SINGLE bolt for my lock hubs was gone on one side.

Luckily there is a Fastenal around the corner and they had the replacements.

Don't let your kids to grow up like me, teach them to use locktite the first time or they'll end up working on their rig in a parking lot.

Member #4197

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Well here's a quick lesson in the use of Locktite. Walked outside this morning and EVERYTHING SINGLE bolt for my lock hubs was gone on one side.

Luckily there is a Fastenal around the corner and they had the replacements.

Don't let your kids to grow up like me, teach them to use locktite the first time or they'll end up working on their rig in a parking lot.

Member #4197
Also, good to consult shop manual for torque specs. haha. working on getting it to you.

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

I am curious about how much road noise it would cause? Not that my Trooper is quiet now but it's not bad, especially with me running A/T's.
I put bed liner just in the cargo area of my old Trooper. There was a noticeable volume increase in the cab.

NC-Trooper

Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

EGR problem fixed. The valve looked brand new and upon further inspection the tube behind the throttle body was stuffed full.

Really easy fix with some carb cleaner, a wire hanger and an air hose.

Thanks for the help fellas.

Now onto the smelly carpet issue... [emoji848]

Member #4197

Traveler I

Updates on the Super Trooper:

It's been running really strong with the exception of a faulty gasket on my oil pan plug, super easy fix.

Here is how she stands this moment. Very dirty [emoji40]

I also am going out the Brown Mountain, NC this weekend to break it in! I am ready to see what this thing can do and what needs improvement. I originally was going to Uwharrie but the crowds of Jeep Jamboree deterred me.

New LED light bar was installed. Kind of a middle of the pack price wise off FleaBay, so we shall see how it holds up. My only complaint a week after install is the switch it came with is really low quality, I'll be switching it out very soon.

I took the time to run all the wiring behind the trim of the interior and it was worth it. If my high school self could see me now! Actually taking the time it do something right... who would've thought?

Huge shout out to my buddies Hunter & Joey at Reliable Automotive Care (shameless plug I know[emoji28]) for helping me out with my ever growing project.

I replaced the old, worn out, stock shocks with Pro-Comp ES3000's. The ride is so much better. It feels 10 years younger.

I am lifting the Trooper 2 inches this weeks so stay tuned for that. [emoji41]

With the lift going I needed to address the notorious CV joint issue Troopers and a lot of other IFS rigs have, so I installed locking hubs on the front. When the rigs is seeing daily driver duty the front will run free and this hopefully reduces if not eliminates wear on the drivetrain components upfront. I'll lock it up when I hit the dirt. I've heard of guys running lift son these 2nd generation Troopers and the CV joints going out after only 200 miles. Yikes.

Really simply to install. Took me about 20 minutes combined for both sides.

Bought some base camp gear. This little Coleman butane stove and some backpacking eating utensils.

Some other things not picturesd are my aluminum folding table, 6 Gallon BPA free water jug, collapsible toilet, tow straps, collapsible shovel and a trusty hatchet.

I got this tow ring on clearance at Walmart for $13. [emoji16] we shall see what it's made of soon enough.

Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment below if you have any feedback or questions. I'm always looking to learn so if you have any suggestion on equipment and gear I should look into let me know.

Member #4197
What kind of manual hubs are those? I was looking at some cheap $50 online and those look the same. I was wondering if they worked well?

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force

NC-Trooper

Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

What kind of manual hubs are those? I was looking at some cheap $50 online and those look the same. I was wondering if they worked well?
They are the $50 knock off aisins. They work great so far. It's been about 2 months. Just make sure after you install, that you retighten and check the bolts. I lost all of mine on one hub.

Member #4197

Reactions: AlabamaOverland

hopdup

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Aliquippa
Member #

I used to use engine oil (10-30 or 15-40) to keep them moving free. Some guys use wheel bearing grease. I found they bind & seize up. When road dirt and mud from the trails mixes with the heavier grease.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: AlabamaOverland

kopper99

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Indian Trail, NC, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Klemas
Member #

What's up party people!

Finally got out and had an adventure! Tried out Brown Mountain, NC OHV in Pisgah National Forest and it was awesome. The Trooper did really well and had no issues. It surprised me how capable it was. I camped out on the other side of the park with my wife. It was great trying out all our new gear. Only issue was I'm 6'1" and the back of the Trooper is not so sleeping in the back was rough.

My father in law brought his JK out. We stopped here and had a nice picnic with the rest of the family. He was shocked how well the Trooper did and said he was proud to have owned one 20 years ago.

My mighty Trooper standing tall.

Brown Mountain Beach is a really pretty place to check out. It's great to climb down into the gorge, hop on a rock and enjoy the sunshine while the occasional white water kayaker paddles by. If anyone is interested I can write up and post in the trips thread all about my findings. Sorry my pictures suck. I tried not to have my phone with me that much this weekend.

FUTURE PLANS:

First off, the Trooper needs armor. It'll never be a rock crawler but there was one obstacle this weekend, thanks to some shotty spotting [emoji36], it took a hit. Nothing got broken and thankfully Isuzu had the foresight to build it decent protection from factory but I about shit myself initially.

Second, I think I am going to strip the interior carpeting and replace it with marine carpet if reasonably priced. Any other alternatives or ideas are appreciated. I'm looking for something durable, weather resistant, and cheap. The current carpet is smelly and too far gone.

Third, I'm thinking about making the front doors removable by adding clevis pins in the hinges with some type of tube door replacement. It should make off-roading easier and beach trips more fun. Not a 100% sure but I'm open to suggestions and advice.

FEEDBACK IS ALWAYS APPRECIATED. THANKS FOR READING! [emoji41]

Member #4197
Do you think a stock Xterra Pro4x would be ok on these trails? How was the camping? pretty sceluded?

NC-Trooper

Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

Do you think a stock Xterra Pro4x would be ok on these trails? How was the camping? pretty sceluded?
There was a stock xterra and a stock early 2000's late 90's pathfinder that joined up with us there and they both handled it fine. Most obstacles offered different lines varying in difficulty.

The camping on the other side of the mountain is secluded and you can pull off in a wide number of clearings along a nice creek. Finding a campsite towards the back half of the day on a weekend was a little bit of a struggle.

Brown Mountain OHV has campsites by the entrance but they right on the road and surrounded by noisy dirtbikers that rip out of camp all morning. Can't blame them though, looks fun as hell!

Member #4197

NC-Trooper

Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

So I have not had much time, nor the funds to do much recently. Most of my funds went to acquiring my new puppy and the vet bills that follow.

My new adventure buddy's name is Echo. He is an 8 week old Rhodesian Ridgeback. I have a lot of experience with dogs from working at a kennel/training facility in college and growing up with Labradors and Springer Spaniels, and I have got to say these Ridgebacks are no joke. This dog is so smart, hardheaded, and mischievous not to mention it's going to be about 100lbs. I will have my hands full for a while.

I also found a stray kitten a couple weeks back and I'm a sucker for animals so I have a kitten and a puppy at the moment. I am either a genius because my wife is unbelievably happy or an idiot because I have no money now for my vehicles. His name is Ranger.

As for the Isuzu, nothing great or monumental to report. It's still running really well. My biggest complaint is that all the weather stripping is garbage after 20 years and the doors leak in the rain which is why my carpet smells funny. I Found new replacements for $70 a door [emoji856] ouch.

At the moment it's at that edge of the point of no return. I'd still love to replace the carpet, rock sliders, and a proper roof rack but I am not sure I'll be able to afford to keep it on the road 5 years from now the way parts are disappearing. We shall see and hope for the best!

I did buy a spare tire cover from China (Trump voice). It is awesome!

Thanks for reading and keeping up with my humble, not so little rig. When Echo (not Ranger) gets older, I am throwing him and the wife in the Zu and headed for the hills! See you guys on the trail!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: k9sar