The start of the rear JKU storage system.

• HTML tutorial

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Here's the finished product but still need to tweak, sand, and prep a little before I wrap it up. But that will be back home. Just glad it's done and it was an awesome time building it with the old man and the boys.

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Looks good! I assume you have drawer slides in there?

Thanks Scott!! I actually do, it just might have been the angle of the pic when I took it at night. Lol. If you tap on it and open up the pic you be able to see them.

Wow. Brings a smile to my face to see the whole family involved! Love it!
Thanks Zach! It was awesome and I know the old man enjoyed every bit of it, cause he was calling me from last week to make sure if we were still on to make the Storage for the Jeep. I took a lot of pics and I know the kids will remember this especially when we look back at the pics.

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Well guys need to sand a little then wrap it up with subwoofer cloth in black. But here is the final mock up with the ARB/Coleman Freezer. Lmfao I think I nailed it what do you think?

P.S. I know I just built this Storage but so you think it's over kill with the 4 drawers? Should I eliminate the top drawer and leave it like a 3 tier. Just a thought.

15Canyon

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Edmonton
Member #

P.S. I know I just built this Storage but so you think it's over kill with the 4 drawers? Should I eliminate the top drawer and leave it like a 3 tier. Just a thought.
My opinion is ditch the top drawer and leave it as a 3 tier; that will allow for extra space if you want to put anything on top of the drawers next to the cooler.

Reactions: Jose

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

I'd say depends on what you usually take with you- do you need extra space for bulky items that won't fit in a drawer? If so, ditch the 4th one. If not, and the drawers will help you stay organized, keep it.

Also of note, that looks like an ARB fridge I could actually afford!

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

I'd say depends on what you usually take with you- do you need extra space for bulky items that won't fit in a drawer? If so, ditch the 4th one. If not, and the drawers will help you stay organized, keep it.

Also of note, that looks like an ARB fridge I could actually afford!
I'm going to store the recovery gear and tools needed on the single drawer side where the ARB Freezer will be mounted on. And the other three or two drawers were for small camping supplies, maps, small camping gear, etc etc, cause I'm waiting for my Gobie Stealth Roof Rack to come it to put the 3-1819 Plano boxs on top with more gear in the boxes.

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I will say this.. If you put a roof top tent on your rack you won't have any room for any extra gear up there, especially if you Get the mount Denali like I have.. Its got a rather large footprint.

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Well guys need to sand a little then wrap it up with subwoofer cloth in black. But here is the final mock up with the ARB/Coleman Freezer. Lmfao I think I nailed it what do you think?

Looks great Jose! I'm thinking about building one myself for my 4Runner, but I was thinking about using MDF instead of plywood. Any reason why you chose the plywood?

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

I will say this.. If you put a roof top tent on your rack you won't have any room for any extra gear up there, especially if you Get the mount Denali like I have.. Its got a rather large footprint.
I here you on that Scott! I wish there were someone here in FL who had one on a Jeep to see it up close and person and the. Take it from there, I mean the worst that can happen is I get a 2-3 person RTT and add the anex to it with the floor and the wife and I sleep on the bottom and the boys sleep up top. We will see I'm going to call CVT tomorrow and see what they recommend and let them know what I have also.

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Looks great Jose! I'm thinking about building one myself for my 4Runner, but I was thinking about using MDF instead of plywood. Any reason why you chose the plywood?
Thanks Mike G! Actually it never crossed my mind on using MDF, I just went with the 5/8" plywood cause I didn't want any warping or screws going thru the wood and sticking out with using 1/2 or smaller material. Also due to adding the ARB Freezer, tools, and what not I thought the 5/8" would hold up better.

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I have buddies that use the 3 person tent and they can fit their 2 small boys plus the husband and wife but it is getting tighter to fit everyone up top now that the boys are getting older, so they too have started having the boys camp in the annex and it seems to work great for them.

Lassen

Rank V

Member III

I'm like you in thinking something like this could be beneficial in my Jeep WK.

As for the MDF vs plywood, if you glue the joints of MDF AND use screws, the joints can be pretty strong. However, one of the biggest weaknesses is water/moisture exposure on the MDF. It can swell up pretty badly and weaken. So keep in mind to seal it up. Plywood can also start peeling apart if wet, but it will take a good deal more water and a lot of exposure to have that happen. All the same,, seal plywood, too. It's good peace of mind.

But, if budget and weight aren't much of an issue, you could go with solid oak, walnut, birch...a good hardwood. Stain it and it would look very nice. If you want to paint it, poplar.

First State Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Delaware
Member #

I here you on that Scott! I wish there were someone here in FL who had one on a Jeep to see it up close and person and the. Take it from there, I mean the worst that can happen is I get a 2-3 person RTT and add the anex to it with the floor and the wife and I sleep on the bottom and the boys sleep up top. We will see I'm going to call CVT tomorrow and see what they recommend and let them know what I have also.
I'm running a CVT Mt. Shasta and I have a pretty decent amount of space up front. The only thing you have to watch out for or live with is the window awning rods won't fit if you mount stuff up there and intend to leave it mounted like my cans (below) while the tent is open. Personally I'm ok with that. In the second pic you can see what I have to do with the window.

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

I'm running a CVT Mt. Shasta and I have a pretty decent amount of space up front. The only thing you have to watch out for or live with is the window awning rods won't fit if you mount stuff up there and intend to leave it mounted like my cans (below) while the tent is open. Personally I'm ok with that. In the second pic you can see what I have to do with the window.

I don't honk I would have an issue with that either. But I think that if I get the Mt Denali I won't have Space up on the Roof Rack at all.

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I went out and measured for you, @Jose. Between the back of my cab and where the front of the tent is, I have about 4" or room. At the back of the tent" from the tailgate of the truck to the rearmost portion of the tent I have another 6" or so. My bed is roughly 99" long from end to end and about 96" long inside to inside.. Of that gives you an idea of just how large the tent is.