Burlington, NJ
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WQYY816
Hey guys! I figured I would make up a thread that's strictly for all things happening in NJ and all talk about NJ. The talk can be about anything that has to do with overlanding, camping, kayaking, mountain biking, geocaching, hiking, meet and greets, and guided trail rides by us, Mid-Atlantic Expeditions.

Please try and keep this thread clean from any other off subject talk. We are here for anything that deals with fun in the outdoors, not to hear about how the Flyers won or how much the Eagles suck haha.

I would love to hear about what part of NJ you're from, your rig(s) (adventure bikes/enduros included), and the kinds of things you like to do outside. I would also like to hear a little background about you, like what got you into overlanding in general, favorite trip you've taken, and what overlanding means to you. I'll start below.

Also, @MAX-Phil and I are planning on doing a meet and greet sometime in March. We will post more about it once we get the logistics figured out.

Ok, so I'm Leon and I'm Co-owner/Co-Founder of the two man team Mid-Atlantic Expeditions. I enjoy all sorts of outdoors activities like hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, camping, adventure bike riding, overlanding, geocaching, exploring, and trail riding. Pretty much if it involves adventure and the outdoors, count me in!

As for my rigs, I have a 2016 Toyota TRDPro 4Runner with a few mods and I also have a 2016 Honda Africa Twin (CRF1000L) and it too has a few mods.

What got me into overlanding? I would have to say that after moving to NJ in 2009 and getting out to see all that NJ has to offer by way of roadtrips here and there, it made me want to do more of that through out other states. Having been in the "offroading" scene almost my whole life, I had already had the built rigs and I wanted to incorporate the off-roading aspect to my adventures. I heard about overlanding back in 2010 when it was still relativiely unheard of and felt that it was right for me.

One of my favorite trips taken...hrmm that's a tough one...I would have to say they've all been my favorite since they're always fun and full of adventure but one that stands out the most was the first "overlanding" trip I took. I posted a huge 2 day event, back in like 2010/2011, on the FJ Cruiser/4Runner/Tacoma forums which involved starting at one point and driving to camp a few hours away. Camping out that night and then the next day drive a few more hours to our dinner spot. The whole trip was offroad and within NJ. One of the best trips I've taken so far, even though there are soo many more day trips that were just as great.

What overlanding means to me, well to me it's self reliant travel going from point A to point B while enjoying the adventure along the way. Overlanding to me doesn't strictly involve off-roading or traveling down only dirt roads, it's about taking the backroads and roads less traveled to your destination, seeing things you've never seen before, experiencing the culture of the area, all while being self reliant on the things you bring with you and pick up along the way.

Haha ok, I'm done talking about myself and I hope it gives you insight to who I am. Can't wait to read your post below! And stay tuned for any events we may post on here!

Philbobagginz

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Brick, NJ
Member #

Great idea for a thread @MAX-Leon!!! I'm excited to hear from all the folks around here and hope to meet with y'all soon.

On that note. I am the other half of Mid-Atlantic Expeditions. I have lived in NJ my entire life but didn't get into the Overland/Exploration game until about 2007. I used to get into my vehicle and just go, I didn't thing there was a name for it or a community for that matter.

I have a 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, that has no real mods done to it just yet, but that will be changing fairly soon.

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

I'm from NJ. Well sorta.
I grew up here and am currently staying in Vineland area. I moved out of Jersey six years ago and have been hopping around and working in some national parks in the Southwest US. Ive spent most of my time at the Grand Canyon and southern Utah. Thats where I got into overlanding. I drive a 06 Nissan Xterra with a few minor mods. Suspension, sliders, and convenience things for moving around so much. My front bumper just shipped so im hoping on installing that and a winch in the next few weeks. Now that I'm use to living in the middle of nowhere i find it hard to be in NJ but ill be around until I figure out my next job.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Traveler I

I'm John. New to this forum today. I grew up in Wanaque and now live in Gloucester county. I'm looking forward to getting deeper into this forum. Looks like a great place to learn more.

Reactions: Dusther210

Ironhide Fx4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

VT
Member #

I'm up near Allamuchy NJ. My wife and I have a modified 2012 F150. We are currently planning our longest trip yet, driving from NJ to MT.

We got into overlanding to get back outside. We both grew up camping and somehow stopped along the way. I specifically want our daughter to experience the wilderness and learn how to be self sufficient. Looking forward to future adventures and meeting other members.

Xplorr313

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlington, NJ
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WQYY816
Hey everyone, just letting y'all know that the Trans New Jersey Trail route is available in my Etsy store. It's the full route. I will put together a northern, central, and southern route for the trail soon. This makes it easier to do the trail in sections. I will post more about the trail and routes and post trip report soon.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ADVmapsNphotos

Last edited:
Reactions: Dusther210 and Lux

jeepwillikers

Rank I

Traveler I

Just joined the forum and hope to be able to do a bunch of posting soon. My wife and I are planning to tow a rented off-road teardrop behind our '04 Rubicon from our home in Atlantic County to Vermont/New Hampshire/Maine at the end of September. That Trans New Jersey Trail is intriguing and could be done in a long weekend so I may have to check it out.

InsertAliasHere

Rank III

Advocate II

Hey, just an FYI there's another jersey thread floating around here with some other members. Did a meet and greet/ride a few weeks back. We're due for another one soonish.

-2002 Disco with heavy things bolted to it.

HammPhoto

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Bethel, CT
Member #

Not exactly NJ but I have family In Cape May county and have been known to detour through Bass River SF on my drive south from Ct. A lot to see in the pine barrens that I've barely touched on.

toolsforwar

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Point Pleasant, NJ
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Perkins
Member #

Checking in from the jersey shore. Any meetups happening soon? I know OK4WD is having their truckfest this coming weekend. I might take the ride out to stewartsville and check out all the rigs. Would be nice to meet some fellow OB members since I think i'm the only one that resides at the jersey shore. #3147