Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Hackettstown, NJ
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
R
Member #

Should have a fun time tonight... 4x4 I hope. Make sure to practice safe skid control!
4x4 indeed... and I agree on the <ahem> *importance* of practicing skid control!

I've always enjoyed driving in snow (including ski weekends in VT with a rwd BMW), but with a truck like this, it's a new level of capability and sure-footedness.

When I picked it up last Saturday, we got 4 or 5 inches of snow... so I wasted no time testing out the various drive train, traction and stability control settings in a snow-covered parking lot. By the end of the day, I was very impressed with how good the truck was climbing a steep, winding, snowy/icy hill - even in rwd with stability control off.

Last edited:

06hyperion

Rank I

Contributor III

Moscow, ID, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Lasiw
4x4 indeed... and I agree on the <ahem> *importance* of practicing skid control!

I've always enjoyed driving in snow (including ski weekends in VT with a rwd BMW), but with a truck like this, it's a new level of capability and sure-footedness.

When I picked it up last Saturday, we got 4 or 5 inches of snow... so I wasted no time testing out the various drive train, traction and stability control settings in a snow-covered parking lot. By the end of the day, I was very impressed with how good the truck was climbing a steep, winding, snowy/icy hill - even in rwd with stability control off.
Same here.. I'm by hackensack/teterboro. Nothing better than fresh snow in a wide open parking lot. I picked up my explorer about 2 months ago, its used with 185k miles. surprisingly it works well in the snow. I haven't taken it off roading yet and think it would cost a lot to just get it ready for off roading. I have to fix the rusted frame before I'd be able to put sliders on it. Without sliders, not sure if a lift would be worth it.. if they even make a loft for it. Difficult to find parts for 3rd gen explorers. It's an Eddie Bauer though, so it's got heated seats, mirrors, and other cool stuff. I might repurpose it as a comm vehicle and get my Ham license.. throw a few radios in there.

Come to think of it, I have a vehicle tracker from my insurance company. They sent it to me to study my driving habits to see if I can get discounts. Totally forgot about it during the snow.. this should be interesting.

I always wanted to go to VT.. this group is setting up a trip to New Hampshire in the spring. I plan on going of all things work out. Should be fun.

Sent from my SM-J727V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Dusther210 and DVC

DVC

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Hackettstown, NJ
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
R
Member #

Come to think of it, I have a vehicle tracker from my insurance company. They sent it to me to study my driving habits to see if I can get discounts. Totally forgot about it during the snow.. this should be interesting.
Hahaha... interesting indeed. Perhaps report it "temporarily stolen"

I always wanted to go to VT.. this group is setting up a trip to New Hampshire in the spring. I plan on going of all things work out. Should be fun.
I'll keep an eye out for that - sounds like fun.

06hyperion

Rank I

Contributor III

Moscow, ID, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Lasiw
Spring is almost here garden state peeps! Anyone trying to meet up once this weather breaks? If so hit me up i'm on instagram @toolsforwar and twitter @danperkinz
I've got my fishing license and trout stamp all ready to go. taking hunter ed class in 2 weeks at black river.. my next step is to find a sponsor in new jersey for falconry. I'm always ready.. PM me, or text me.. 2012494137 oh yeah.. and my instagram is @06hyperion (im on quite often recently)

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Spring is almost here garden state peeps! Anyone trying to meet up once this weather breaks? If so hit me up i'm on instagram @toolsforwar and twitter @danperkinz
There's a car show @ pep boys in East Brunswick on 4/15. Trying to get a group of rigs to go to that on the New Jersey Off Road FB page.

FULLRUNNEROVERLANDING

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

NJ
Member #

There's a car show @ pep boys in East Brunswick on 4/15. Trying to get a group of rigs to go to that on the New Jersey Off Road FB page.
4Runner from East Brunswick here! You definitely going to the car show? What type of car show is it specifically?

Here’s my work in progress:

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Ed Bo

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

South Jersey
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Bowe
Member #

Looks like almost everyone on here is from north jersey. I'm in Williamstown nj near Washington Twp. If anyone is ever going to be in this area hit me up. I have a 16 4runner trail stock but every once in a while take some time to enjoy some wharton state forest roads that are about 20-30 min away from me.