Jchua2

Rank 0

Contributor I

NJ, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Chua
That's awesome, thanks for this! And now all of the sudden I'm somewhat technically savvy!!!

Marvaz

Rank III

Enthusiast I

New jersey
First Name
Marcos
Last Name
V
Member #

@bluefire Can you please call out the locations or coordinates where you thought 4WD was required? Thanks!
I would say this that this portion of the route had a section with a rocky uphill climb the 4WD would come in handy. My 3.5 lift gave me peace of mind but I’m sure a stock Jeep could do it.

(41.1998779, -74.8152279)

kbeas

Rank III

Contributor III

NJ, USA
First Name
K
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Beas
Hey guys, and gals, I decided to create an “official” Trans New Jersey Trail thread. This is where you can find the “official” route and any route info you need to know. Also, this thread will be good for those to post info about the route; like road closures, detours, dangers, trees down, and anything else that may restrict access to the trail.

If anyone wants a copy of the route, it is FREE and available at the bottom of this post. I will accept donations if you feel inclined to donate to the beer fund. The donations can be sent to xplorr313@gmail.com. The donations are not required though!

Previously I charged for the route due to keeping the route out of the hands of those who were only looking to “off-road” or “wheel” illegally on state land. I received a lot of backlash from the off-roading / Overlanding community for charging for the route. I put over 2 years of my life into making this route, please stay on the path and DO NOT “off-road” or “wheel” off of the path. This could cause closures and could also land you in major trouble with the state, for example: a hefty fine or even vehicle impoundment. I’ve seen and heard about it happening. Do not think it won’t happen to you. The state does have trail cameras along some of the more “prone to off-roading” spots. You will get caught.

The route is current and up to date as of 1-16-2020. The most recent revision of the route was done on 1-16-2020. If you have any version older than 1-16-2020 please reach out to me for an updated version. I will keep this post updated with the most recent version of the route.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE LEADNAV APP FOR THE BEST EXPERIENCE. LeadNav is only for iPhones and iPads. The route can be used on other devices, but the route was made with and for LeadNav.

For those of you who are just learning about the Trans New Jersey Trail, the trail is a 450+ mile route that spans from High Point, NJ to Cape May, NJ. The trail consist of asphalt, gravel, sand, dirt, and some mud. The trail is 100% legal for all street legal vehicles. This means you must be registered, insured, and compliant with all DOT regulations (headlights, taillights, seat belts, turn signals, and so on).

The TNJT can be completed in a Subaru as long as the driver is experienced. There is NOTHING complicated on this route. There ARE bypasses for those who do not have a snorkel or the ability to traverse deep mud holes. The bypasses are clearly marked as separate routes. The Zillon Bypass is recommended for those who do not wish to traverse down an extremely tight trail and do not want to risk the couple extremely sloppy mud holes along that part of the TNJT. The Zillon Bypass is 100% asphalt that bypasses the tight trail and sloppy mud holes.

The whole route CAN be done in 3 days. I completed the route in 4 days when I ran it start to end non stop in 2017. My 4th day on the trail only consisted of 50 miles and I could have just finished it on day 3.

The trail has 3 sections North, Central, and South. I consider the North section to go from High Point, NJ to Round Valley Reservoir (Spruce Run Recreation Area [campground]). The Central section to go from Round Valley Reservoir to Brendan T. Byrne State Forest (camping is available in Brendan T. Byrne State Forest). The South section to go from Brendan T. Byrne State Forest to Cape May, NJ. If you feel inclined to turn it into a 4 day trip, I recommend stopping at Belleplain State Forest for an overnight stay.

I do plan to offer 4 versions of the TNJT. A full length version, which is what I have been passing out to everyone, and the three sections. This will allow daytrippers to do the route one section at a time. I will post when the 4 versions are available. Right now just the whole route is available.

Anyone have any questions, please reach out to me by email or ask here!
Just a quick question. How do I get the download on to the app? Just a quick technical map download question.

kbeas

Rank III

Contributor III

NJ, USA
First Name
K
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Beas
Any Tech savvy ppl out there. What is the proper way to download the file to the app on my phone? Thanks

Naidu

Rank 0

Traveler I

New Jersey, USA
First Name
N
Last Name
G
Any Tech savvy ppl out there. What is the proper way to download the file to the app on my phone? Thanks
First download the file to your phone while browsing this forum on your phone.

Then see this post on the previous page. Explains how to do it with Google Maps browser version; it might be somewhat similar to that with the Google Maps app on your phone as well.

CmbtEng

Rank 0

Contributor I

Flemington, NJ, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
H
I would say this that this portion of the route had a section with a rocky uphill climb the 4WD would come in handy. My 3.5 lift gave me peace of mind but I’m sure a stock Jeep could do it.

I agree with Marvaz, this section of the trail was more technical and required 4 wheel drive with high clearance but doable. My wife and I did the northern section (High Point to Clinton) yesterday. Had a great time and very scenic trail. Had one issue on the road to Buttermilk Falls ( 41° 8'12.41"N, 74°53'20.61"W), the road was blocked with a pipe. There was no signs stating that you couldn't drive down the road, so we moved the pipe out of the way and continued on our way. Got a lot of dirty looks from people, one old woman verbally expressed her distain for us for driving down her road. Drove until we encountered another pipe across the road, again we moved the pipe and continued until we could see the paved road where we encountered the last pipe across the road...this one had a lock on it! So we got to do the ride of shame all the way back for the detour around. Other than that the northern section was pretty much passible.

kbeas

Rank III

Contributor III

NJ, USA
First Name
K
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Beas
How much of NJ is off road? Looking to start exploring it this week.

RoverDude109

Rank I

Contributor III

PA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Palmer
hey all, a couple of easy questions. Looking at doing this in the fall - any issues with closures along the route? Also - we'll likely take a couple of vintage vehicles, so top speed is about 45mph. How much does that affect the trip? i.e. should we convert it to a four day, etc.? Thanks in advance!

Marvaz

Rank III

Enthusiast I

New jersey
First Name
Marcos
Last Name
V
Member #

I agree with Marvaz, this section of the trail was more technical and required 4 wheel drive with high clearance but doable. My wife and I did the northern section (High Point to Clinton) yesterday. Had a great time and very scenic trail. Had one issue on the road to Buttermilk Falls ( 41° 8'12.41"N, 74°53'20.61"W), the road was blocked with a pipe. There was no signs stating that you couldn't drive down the road, so we moved the pipe out of the way and continued on our way. Got a lot of dirty looks from people, one old woman verbally expressed her distain for us for driving down her road. Drove until we encountered another pipe across the road, again we moved the pipe and continued until we could see the paved road where we encountered the last pipe across the road...this one had a lock on it! So we got to do the ride of shame all the way back for the detour around. Other than that the northern section was pretty much passible.
When I got to that section I just turned around and took the bypass lol. I’m sure I would’ve gotten the same looks

Marvaz

Rank III

Enthusiast I

New jersey
First Name
Marcos
Last Name
V
Member #

hey all, a couple of easy questions. Looking at doing this in the fall - any issues with closures along the route? Also - we'll likely take a couple of vintage vehicles, so top speed is about 45mph. How much does that affect the trip? i.e. should we convert it to a four day, etc.? Thanks in advance!
The map has bypasses for the winter when certain roads are closed. I’m guessing if you go early fall you should be fine. I honestly don’t remember going over 45 either because I was off-road or enjoying the scenery, especially Hunterdon and Mercer county. Depending on the type of vintage vehicles I would be careful after poor mans safari (sand & huge mud puddles). Also the section in north Jersey I posted earlier with the coordinates. Hope this helped

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
@bluefire Can you please call out the locations or coordinates where you thought 4WD was required? Thanks!

A stock 2017 Nissan Rogue AWD did it about a week before the lease ended. I saw it. I was impressed

Reactions: Naidu and Marvaz

robert89renea

Rank I

Contributor III

Monroe, NY, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Fernandez
Member #

Hey guys, and gals, I decided to create an “official” Trans New Jersey Trail thread. This is where you can find the “official” route and any route info you need to know. Also, this thread will be good for those to post info about the route; like road closures, detours, dangers, trees down, and anything else that may restrict access to the trail.

If anyone wants a copy of the route, it is FREE and available at the bottom of this post. I will accept donations if you feel inclined to donate to the beer fund. The donations can be sent to xplorr313@gmail.com. The donations are not required though!

Previously I charged for the route due to keeping the route out of the hands of those who were only looking to “off-road” or “wheel” illegally on state land. I received a lot of backlash from the off-roading / Overlanding community for charging for the route. I put over 2 years of my life into making this route, please stay on the path and DO NOT “off-road” or “wheel” off of the path. This could cause closures and could also land you in major trouble with the state, for example: a hefty fine or even vehicle impoundment. I’ve seen and heard about it happening. Do not think it won’t happen to you. The state does have trail cameras along some of the more “prone to off-roading” spots. You will get caught.

The route is current and up to date as of 1-16-2020. The most recent revision of the route was done on 1-16-2020. If you have any version older than 1-16-2020 please reach out to me for an updated version. I will keep this post updated with the most recent version of the route.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE LEADNAV APP FOR THE BEST EXPERIENCE. LeadNav is only for iPhones and iPads. The route can be used on other devices, but the route was made with and for LeadNav.

For those of you who are just learning about the Trans New Jersey Trail, the trail is a 450+ mile route that spans from High Point, NJ to Cape May, NJ. The trail consist of asphalt, gravel, sand, dirt, and some mud. The trail is 100% legal for all street legal vehicles. This means you must be registered, insured, and compliant with all DOT regulations (headlights, taillights, seat belts, turn signals, and so on).

The TNJT can be completed in a Subaru as long as the driver is experienced. There is NOTHING complicated on this route. There ARE bypasses for those who do not have a snorkel or the ability to traverse deep mud holes. The bypasses are clearly marked as separate routes. The Zillon Bypass is recommended for those who do not wish to traverse down an extremely tight trail and do not want to risk the couple extremely sloppy mud holes along that part of the TNJT. The Zillon Bypass is 100% asphalt that bypasses the tight trail and sloppy mud holes.

The whole route CAN be done in 3 days. I completed the route in 4 days when I ran it start to end non stop in 2017. My 4th day on the trail only consisted of 50 miles and I could have just finished it on day 3.

The trail has 3 sections North, Central, and South. I consider the North section to go from High Point, NJ to Round Valley Reservoir (Spruce Run Recreation Area [campground]). The Central section to go from Round Valley Reservoir to Brendan T. Byrne State Forest (camping is available in Brendan T. Byrne State Forest). The South section to go from Brendan T. Byrne State Forest to Cape May, NJ. If you feel inclined to turn it into a 4 day trip, I recommend stopping at Belleplain State Forest for an overnight stay.

I do plan to offer 4 versions of the TNJT. A full length version, which is what I have been passing out to everyone, and the three sections. This will allow daytrippers to do the route one section at a time. I will post when the 4 versions are available. Right now just the whole route is available.

Anyone have any questions, please reach out to me by email or ask here!
Thank you for this. Recently moved here where high point is just 30 mins away! We are excited to get on the trail.

Reactions: Dusther210

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
First time off roader here doing alone. What are the other essentials do you need aside from an off road car?

North of Six Flags I would say you should be ok in most vehicles with some traction boards and the ability to air up/down your tires. The airing up/down is probably not exactly necessary if you have traction boards.

I would say once you get to Six Flags airing down is a great idea. If you take the bypasses and play it safe you really shouldn’t need anything else, but the more prepared you are the lower the risk. I’m not saying these are the minimum items you should travel with, but items I expected use on TNJT. I always have a first aid kit, spare tire and tools, and fire extinguisher for example though I don’t necessarily expect to use them.

You’ll need GAIA and the gpx file. You’ll need to come back on here after you hit the trail to share your experience and let us know of any issues.

Last bit may not be a “need” but highly encouraged and appreciated. :)