Rank III

Enthusiast I

New jersey
First Name
Marcos
Last Name
V
Member #

Hey everyone, I’m planning on doing this trail on May 7th or 8th. Anyone that’s done it know of any parts you may need to air down for a long period of time? I also downloaded the directions on Gaia which seem ok. I was planning on purchasing Leadnav, is it worth it?

Reactions: Dusther210

mrshebs12

Rank III

Member III

Fair Lawn, NJ, USA
First Name
Ray
Last Name
Rivas
Member #

Hey guys new here. Just set May 15 date for this trip an booked spruce run campsite and they only had a few sites left so options were limited. Trying to decide which side to pick at Brendan Byrne Park. Anyone have any recommendations on which site. I have a full size Silverado with a RTT.

DVC

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Hackettstown, NJ
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
R
Member #

Hey guys, and gals, I decided to create an “official” Trans New Jersey Trail thread. This is where you can find the “official” route and any route info you need to know. Also, this thread will be good for those to post info about the route; like road closures, detours, dangers, trees down, and anything else that may restrict access to the trail.

If anyone wants a copy of the route, it is FREE and available at the bottom of this post. I will accept donations if you feel inclined to donate to the beer fund. The donations can be sent to xplorr313@gmail.com. The donations are not required though!

Previously I charged for the route due to keeping the route out of the hands of those who were only looking to “off-road” or “wheel” illegally on state land. I received a lot of backlash from the off-roading / Overlanding community for charging for the route. I put over 2 years of my life into making this route, please stay on the path and DO NOT “off-road” or “wheel” off of the path. This could cause closures and could also land you in major trouble with the state, for example: a hefty fine or even vehicle impoundment. I’ve seen and heard about it happening. Do not think it won’t happen to you. The state does have trail cameras along some of the more “prone to off-roading” spots. You will get caught.

The route is current and up to date as of 1-16-2020. The most recent revision of the route was done on 1-16-2020. If you have any version older than 1-16-2020 please reach out to me for an updated version. I will keep this post updated with the most recent version of the route.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE LEADNAV APP FOR THE BEST EXPERIENCE. LeadNav is only for iPhones and iPads. The route can be used on other devices, but the route was made with and for LeadNav.

For those of you who are just learning about the Trans New Jersey Trail, the trail is a 450+ mile route that spans from High Point, NJ to Cape May, NJ. The trail consist of asphalt, gravel, sand, dirt, and some mud. The trail is 100% legal for all street legal vehicles. This means you must be registered, insured, and compliant with all DOT regulations (headlights, taillights, seat belts, turn signals, and so on).

The TNJT can be completed in a Subaru as long as the driver is experienced. There is NOTHING complicated on this route. There ARE bypasses for those who do not have a snorkel or the ability to traverse deep mud holes. The bypasses are clearly marked as separate routes. The Zillon Bypass is recommended for those who do not wish to traverse down an extremely tight trail and do not want to risk the couple extremely sloppy mud holes along that part of the TNJT. The Zillon Bypass is 100% asphalt that bypasses the tight trail and sloppy mud holes.

The whole route CAN be done in 3 days. I completed the route in 4 days when I ran it start to end non stop in 2017. My 4th day on the trail only consisted of 50 miles and I could have just finished it on day 3.

The trail has 3 sections North, Central, and South. I consider the North section to go from High Point, NJ to Round Valley Reservoir (Spruce Run Recreation Area [campground]). The Central section to go from Round Valley Reservoir to Brendan T. Byrne State Forest (camping is available in Brendan T. Byrne State Forest). The South section to go from Brendan T. Byrne State Forest to Cape May, NJ. If you feel inclined to turn it into a 4 day trip, I recommend stopping at Belleplain State Forest for an overnight stay.

I do plan to offer 4 versions of the TNJT. A full length version, which is what I have been passing out to everyone, and the three sections. This will allow daytrippers to do the route one section at a time. I will post when the 4 versions are available. Right now just the whole route is available.

Anyone have any questions, please reach out to me by email or ask here!

It's been a while since I've read through this thread.... is the file attached to this first post still the latest version of the .gpx files?

Tommo

Rank 0

Contributor I

Long Island, New York, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Furnari
Ham/GMRS Callsign
Tommo
Can I have the link to the map please???!!! I’m new on here and looking to make some trips of wheeling and camping with my wife and friends. Thank you

njhiker43

Rank I

Enthusiast I

New Jersey, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Duffy
Here’s what I do know about High Point:
2Feb21 we were allowed to drive into the park without paying a fee and got to walk to the monument.
For the roads that are seasonally closed, I believe they open 1 April, I can’t confirm personally for another few weeks though.

I also have a question...
Does this and when will this be open?
So I did the first part from High Point to Route 80 yesterday. High Point/Stokes roads all open and empty (surprisingly). I did have an issue later on Old Mine Road - the last portion closer to the Gap appeared gated. Honestly, it was the end of my ride and I had to rush to get home. Got to the part where a ton of cars were parked and there was a gate. Just decided to pull off and head home at that point as it was basically near Route 80 anyway (I have already done Route 80 down past Fort Dix in prior rides). The section overall was easy/paved. The only part not was Old Mine Road (gravel) and Brook Road (?) which was a short section that was the most 'challenging' but easily doable in my stock JLU. Brook Road had a few puddles that were not bad but imagine after a heavy rain could be deep. It also had a small rocky climb that had a small water runoff crossing it. Not bad at all, but with heavy rain I imagine there would be more washout.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Here’s what I do know about High Point:
2Feb21 we were allowed to drive into the park without paying a fee and got to walk to the monument.
For the roads that are seasonally closed, I believe they open 1 April, I can’t confirm personally for another few weeks though.

I also have a question...
Does this and when will this be open?
So I did the first part from High Point to Route 80 yesterday. High Point/Stokes roads all open and empty (surprisingly). I did have an issue later on Old Mine Road - the last portion closer to the Gap appeared gated. Honestly, it was the end of my ride and I had to rush to get home. Got to the part where a ton of cars were parked and there was a gate. Just decided to pull off and head home at that point as it was basically near Route 80 anyway (I have already done Route 80 down past Fort Dix in prior rides). The section overall was easy/paved. The only part not was Old Mine Road (gravel) and Brook Road (?) which was a short section that was the most 'challenging' but easily doable in my stock JLU. Brook Road had a few puddles that were not bad but imagine after a heavy rain could be deep. It also had a small rocky climb that had a small water runoff crossing it. Not bad at all, but with heavy rain I imagine there would be more washout.
Thank you for sharing!!

Braveheart

Rank I

Contributor III

USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Mumladze
Just FYI - I've attempted to do this route on a adventure motorcycle and there were some sections closed, trees down, blockage etc. I'm going to attempt to do it again and this time I will record so I can make adjustment.. These issues are expected for the south section only, the north section is Ok.

gilzoo

Rank 0

Contributor I

Brooklyn, NY, USA
First Name
GIL
Last Name
S
Just FYI - I've attempted to do this route on a adventure motorcycle and there were some sections closed, trees down, blockage etc. I'm going to attempt to do it again and this time I will record so I can make adjustment.. These issues are expected for the south section only, the north section is Ok.
Going to attempt to do part of the central section this weekend on a small dual sport. Any advice as to which areas are unpaved?

Marvaz

Rank III

Enthusiast I

New jersey
First Name
Marcos
Last Name
V
Member #

Completed approx 70% of the trail last week ( high point to light house) Had to cut each day a little short because of time. The trail was OUTSTANDING. I went with my wife and 3 kids and we all had a great time. The work that was put into the navigation was on point. I used landnav. I swear at some parts I had to remind myself I was still in New Jersey, especially when we were in Hunterdon and Mercer county. FYI, Buttermilk Falls section was closed off so we had to use the bypass. I definitely plan on doing the parts I missed in the future

Marvaz

Rank III

Enthusiast I

New jersey
First Name
Marcos
Last Name
V
Member #

Hey guys new here. Just set May 15 date for this trip an booked spruce run campsite and they only had a few sites left so options were limited. Trying to decide which side to pick at Brendan Byrne Park. Anyone have any recommendations on which site. I have a full size Silverado with a RTT.
What you think?

bluefire

Rank 0

Contributor I

NY, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
M
New member here,

First of all I just wanted to say thank you for all the members that keep this tread active and updated....and also a huge thanks to the creator of the actual trail its self.
We did this trail this past Saturday May 22nd, and it was a great trip. We started at High Point park and went probably down to Port Murray. That whole portion of the trail was open and no issues at all.
We plan on returning another day and pick up where we left off.
I downloaded the way points (via .gpx file) and imported them into Google maps with hardly any issues at all. Most of the trail could have been done with a subaru or mild SUV...but there were two parts that a definite 4wd was needed.
Just wanted to say thanks and share our first experience on this route

mrshebs12

Rank III

Member III

Fair Lawn, NJ, USA
First Name
Ray
Last Name
Rivas
Member #

What you think?
Brenden Byrne was great. Only one other group there and far away. Super secluded. We had site 24 and it was perfect no neighbors. Even with neighbors the campsite was better than spruce. Spruce gets a crowd because of the water.

Jchua2

Rank 0

Contributor I

NJ, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Chua
New member here,

First of all I just wanted to say thank you for all the members that keep this tread active and updated....and also a huge thanks to the creator of the actual trail its self.
We did this trail this past Saturday May 22nd, and it was a great trip. We started at High Point park and went probably down to Port Murray. That whole portion of the trail was open and no issues at all.
We plan on returning another day and pick up where we left off.
I downloaded the way points (via .gpx file) and imported them into Google maps with hardly any issues at all. Most of the trail could have been done with a subaru or mild SUV...but there were two parts that a definite 4wd was needed.
Just wanted to say thanks and share our first experience on this route
How did you import into Google maps....I wish I was more technically savvy!!

Naidu

Rank 0

Traveler I

New Jersey, USA
First Name
N
Last Name
G
How did you import into Google maps....I wish I was more technically savvy!!
This is how you do it in the browser version of Google Maps
  1. Go to Google Maps (Login to your Google account if you haven't already)
  2. Click on the 3-line menu icon on the left side (aka hamburger icon)
  3. Click on Your Places
  4. Click on Maps (right most tab on the drop down menu)
  5. Click on CREATE MAP at the bottom
  6. Use the 3 vertical-dot icon to rename the new map with some useful title
  7. Click on Import
  8. Feed it the GPX file you downloaded from here
This will create a layer on top of the usual Google Maps. It will not provide turn-by-turn navigation but will plot the track with a pin for every change in direction and point of interest.

When it is time to use the track you follow the above till Step 4, and then pick the map that you had created earlier.

The instructions for doing the above in the Google Maps app on your phone are similar, but not identical due to features and UI being different.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: