Burlington, NJ
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WQYY816
Ah we were there a bit later, around 5:45. I think the bike had some green accents. Rider was blacked out. I was in a white 2 door JK
Ah gotcha. Yeah we were in Roscoe, NY at that time.

Lol, that guy really was rippin. But for the tires you have, you did good @MuckSavage

Xplorr313

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlington, NJ
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WQYY816
ROUTE HAS BEEN UPDATED AND ADDED TO THE FIRST POST IN THIS THREAD!

This update was performed tonight, 4-19-19, and includes the reroute around the closed bridge near Brook Rd. near Buttermilk Falls.

Forjas

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

The World
First Name
Felipe
Last Name
Nascimento
Member #

My wife been having so much fun going out with me, she wanted to get something she could go out wheeling with. So we got her a Cherokee trailhawk (she didn't want a wrangler for every day use). Today was the second time we took it our on the trails.View attachment 94632
Sweet!!!

Reactions: RockU

Xplorr313

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlington, NJ
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WQYY816
My wife been having so much fun going out with me, she wanted to get something she could go out wheeling with. So we got her a Cherokee trailhawk (she didn't want a wrangler for every day use). Today was the second time we took it our on the trails.View attachment 94632
Awesome!

JerseyJohn

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Easton,Pa
First Name
John
Last Name
Feckete
Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3AEI
Nice. I wish I could get my wife to go with me let alone take her 03 Grand out!!!!! LOL

RockU

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Nice. I wish I could get my wife to go with me let alone take her 03 Grand out!!!!! LOL
Me wanting to lift my truck and put some meatier tires on it used to be "dumb".
When we picked up the jeep I said " let's lift it and put some meatier tires on it" and she said "sure" and even suggested we should put a winch on my truck! Recovery gear is now a justifiable expense instead of a waste of money. Lift kits and tires are now goals instead of being dumb.

Idk, this might all be some kind of a trap..

bryantc3

Rank 0

Contributor I

Nice! I was looking at the Cherokee TH before I went with my wrangler. The locking rear dif is definitely nice.

I did just under 70 miles on Saturday, from Hackle down to the NJ/PA state line section. The gravel/dirt roads were surprisingly fine after all the rain. Next nice weekend I'll kick off from where this ended and hopefully get down to the cranberry bogs.

Reactions: Xplorr313

RockU

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Nice! I was looking at the Cherokee TH before I went with my wrangler. The locking rear dif is definitely nice.

I did just under 70 miles on Saturday, from Hackle down to the NJ/PA state line section. The gravel/dirt roads were surprisingly fine after all the rain. Next nice weekend I'll kick off from where this ended and hopefully get down to the cranberry bogs.
That Cherokee is more capable than I thought it would be. It's easy to drive with its different settings, it got a mud, crawl and decent modes and more. My wife is pretty confident driving it through some rough mud as long as I go first.
E locker only works in 4x4 low tho, which is annoying.

bryantc3

Rank 0

Contributor I

That Cherokee is more capable than I thought it would be. It's easy to drive with its different settings, it got a mud, crawl and decent modes and more. My wife is pretty confident driving it through some rough mud as long as I go first.
E locker only works in 4x4 low tho, which is annoying.
Yeah i'm surprised the Cherokee TH gets a transfer case and rear locker - i figured it would also go in the GC. I must say getting a fully loaded Cherokee for around the price of a lightly optioned Sport S Wrangler is a solid buy if you're not going crazy.

I just happened to get a good deal on a (at the time) 11 month old JK with ~9K on it. Otherwise I would have went with the Cherokee.

JerseyJohn

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Easton,Pa
First Name
John
Last Name
Feckete
Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3AEI

About 2 weeks ago I started off just south of Frechtown off rt 29 and ended at the Cranberry bogs. Hopefully going this weekend to start where I left off

Reactions: bryantc3

RockU

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Yday there was a community cleanup @ Wharton. I didn't know about it, but apparently they collected over 500lb trash.
They also removed the fallen trees from Washington road.

For what it's worth, I cleared D-S road early sunday morning.
IMG958927.jpgIMG958926(2).jpg

Xplorr313

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlington, NJ
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WQYY816
Yday there was a community cleanup @ Wharton. I didn't know about it, but apparently they collected over 500lb trash.
They also removed the fallen trees from Washington road.

For what it's worth, I cleared D-S road early sunday morning.
View attachment 95736View attachment 95737
I didn’t know about the clean up either. Normally I hear of these things

Thank you for your help in clearing out the trail. PM me your address and I’ll send something special your way.

Xplorr313

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlington, NJ
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WQYY816
The clean up was part of the spring meet up
Spring meet up? OB’s spring meet up? If so that explains why I didn’t hear anything about it. I’m only ever on here for this thread only.

Jeff B

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Putnam County, New York, USA
Member #

Spring meet up? OB’s spring meet up? If so that explains why I didn’t hear anything about it. I’m only ever on here for this thread only.
Ob east spring meet up

Xplorr313

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlington, NJ
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WQYY816
Ob east spring meet up
Gotcha. Yeah I would have never known about that event.

Heykiddo

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hey guys, and gals, I decided to create an “official” Trans New Jersey Trail thread. This is where you can find the “official” route and any route info you need to know. Also, this thread will be good for those to post info about the route; like road closures, detours, dangers, trees down, and anything else that may restrict access to the trail.

If anyone wants a copy of the route, it is FREE and available at the bottom of this post. I will accept donations if you feel inclined to donate to the beer fund. The donations can be sent to xplorr313@gmail.com. The donations are not required though!

Previously I charged for the route due to keeping the route out of the hands of those who were only looking to “off-road” or “wheel” illegally on state land. I received a lot of backlash from the off-roading / Overlanding community for charging for the route. I put over 2 years of my life into making this route, please stay on the path and DO NOT “off-road” or “wheel” off of the path. This could cause closures and could also land you in major trouble with the state, for example: a hefty fine or even vehicle impoundment. I’ve seen and heard about it happening. Do not think it won’t happen to you. The state does have trail cameras along some of the more “prone to off-roading” spots. You will get caught.

The route is current and up to date as of 4-19-19. The most recent revision of the route was done on 4-19-19. If you have any version older than 4-19-19 please reach out to me for an updated version. I will keep this post updated with the most recent version of the route.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE LEADNAV APP FOR BEST THE BEST EXPERIENCE. LeadNav is only for iPhones and iPads. The route can be used on other devices, but the route was made with and for LeadNav.

For those of you who are just learning about the Trans New Jersey Trail, the trail is a 450+ mile route that spans from High Point, NJ to Cape May, NJ. The trail consist of asphalt, gravel, sand, dirt, and some mud. The trail is 100% legal for all street legal vehicles. This means you must be registered, insured, and compliant with all DOT regulations (headlights, taillights, seat belts, turn signals, and so on).

The TNJT can be completed in a Subaru as long as the driver is experienced. There is NOTHING complicated on this route. There ARE bypasses for those who do not have a snorkel or the ability to traverse deep mud holes. The bypasses are clearly marked as separate routes. The Zillon Bypass is recommended for those who do not wish to traverse down an extremely tight trail and do not want to risk the couple extremely sloppy mud holes along that part of the TNJT. The Zillon Bypass is 100% asphalt that bypasses the tight trail and sloppy mud holes.

The whole route CAN be done in 3 days. I completed the route in 4 days when I ran it start to end non stop in 2017. My 4th day on the trail only consisted of 50 miles and I could have just finished it on day 3.

The trail has 3 sections North, Central, and South. I consider the North section to go from High Point, NJ to Round Valley Reservoir (Spruce Run Recreation Area [campground]). The Central section to go from Round Valley Reservoir to Brendan T. Byrne State Forest (camping is available in Brendan T. Byrne State Forest). The South section to go from Brendan T. Byrne State Forest to Cape May, NJ. If you feel inclined to turn it into a 4 day trip, I recommend stopping at Belleplain State Forest for an overnight stay.

I do plan to offer 4 versions of the TNJT. A full length version, which is what I have been passing out to everyone, and the three sections. This will allow daytrippers to do the route one section at a time. I will post when the 4 versions are available. Right now just the whole route is available.

Anyone have any questions, please reach out to me by email or ask here!
Any suggestions on how to use the LeadNav app (for iPhone). I'm a newbie at this. I was able to get the maps uploaded but unsure how to read them and navigate. I appreciate your help.

Xplorr313

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlington, NJ
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WQYY816
Any suggestions on how to use the LeadNav app (for iPhone). I'm a newbie at this. I was able to get the maps uploaded but unsure how to read them and navigate. I appreciate your help.
Open LeadNav and then click menu, the file should read “trans New Jersey trail”, click it. Then click where it says “routes”. Click the “TNJT” route. Now click “view” to view the route on the map. You most likely will need to zoom out to see it. Click menu to go back. Click “run” to be able to run the route. Make sure you do this when you’re close to the route. You can start the route anywhere. You don’t need to start it at the beginning. The app will pick up whichever waypoint is the closest to you.

That’s pretty much it. I think LeadNav has tutorial videos. Check out their Instagram and/or website. There might be YouTube videos of it too.