Enthusiast II

Philadelphia, PA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Barker
Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJB996
I ran the south part of the trail from Atison to Moore’s Beach today. One thing to note in Wharton State Forest is that they have closed Goodwater Road (the right turn after the bridge on Quaker Bridge Road) to motorized traffic. There are posts in the road stating that.

I took the next right onto Washington Quaker Bridge Road to a right on Penn Swamp Road to reconnect with the TNJT on Washington Turnpike.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Deep water crossings? Did the terrain need 4wd? I don’t think there was any bit on the TNJT where I needed 4wd when I did it but according to a bunch of videos on YouTube I haven’t yet found the interesting parts of Wharton lol

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

I hit the trail at 6 Flags/ Great Adventure & turned 91 miles in 6 hours ending up at Batsto. I cut/cleared 2 deadfalls in the Colliers Mils area.
KIMG0697.JPG
As I approached this guy started to beat feet then realized it woulda been a long jump down to the water. He sheltered in place & let me snap a picture.
KIMG0700.JPG
This is the location that @Xplorr313 cautions us to bypass if we don't have a snorkle. Since it's been dry, I decided to check it out. The water was maybe 20" deep. I stayed left if headed south. A bystander advised me that there's a stump in the middle. (The water was clear & I didn't see a stump)
N Snorkel today.JPG
I stopped to checkout the saw mill ruins. Nice to see the graffitti "artists" haven't found their way here yet.
sawmill.JPG
As I walked back to the Jeep, I snapped this pic & liked the way the colors came out.
best of the day.JPG
Passed a newer Wilderness Scout Camp. The land donated by the family that bears it's namesake.
KIMG0716.JPG
Stopped at Lake Oswego. Don'tcha love the meticulous way the State secured the latrine?
KIMG0719.JPG
I checked on the report of a blockage on D-S Road. It seems this may have been it as it was already cleared. Thank You to whomever it was!
D-S Road.JPG
At some point I noticed this mushroom & thought it would make a cool picture.
mushroom.jpg
As I passed Atsion & Quaker Bridge, I stopped to observe the closure of Goodwater Road as reported by @DesmosDromos. As I walked the area, my interpretation of the closure is the gore area/sand hill between Washington-Quaker Bridge Road & Goodwater Rd. I decided to continue on Goodwater to Batsto where I exited the woods.
Batsto.JPG

As always, a big Thank You to @Xplorr313 for building & maintaining this route. I gathered a large bag of trash. Also, it was nice to see a dumpster outside of Wading Pines Campground near Godfrey Bridge. It seems to have helped with the amount of trash left behind on the west side of the river by canoeists/tubers/kayakers.

Last edited:

SteveNJ

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Sussex, NJ, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Scott
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2ELP
Service Branch
Army
Did a couple hours in the northern part of the trail this weekend. As far as i know the road by Buttermilk falls has been closed all year. I hate the pine barrens and will probably never do that section, that sandy water is hell on just about every moving part of a vehicle. But the northern part (like 15 mins from my house) is a blast.

A6336081-A7C8-4052-A1AA-7219E81CCF7F.jpeg

alexz

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Sparta, NJ, USA
First Name
alex
Last Name
zappile
Cool video! When did you record this? Must’ve rained pretty heavy just before. I also gave you a thumbs up on YouTube as well
Hey Thanks for the support! We filmed the video 2 and a half weeks ago. I don't know when the Pine Barrens got hit with a storm because we didn't have any significant rain since that tropical storm about a month ago. I saw your comment about Carry Warren Road. I was searching for it along the route, but no luck. But it is about 25-35miles from High Point.

Reactions: Dusther210

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Thanks Alex! I think I found it at 40.82680, -74.94873
Awesome it was a cool obstacle, we are weighed down quite a bit with the camper so it was fun getting through the washed out area. Such a cool little road.
I was checking that camper out, I’d like to bother some more about it on the side if you don’t mind

SteveNJ

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Sussex, NJ, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Scott
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2ELP
Service Branch
Army
I've tried to download the route but I'm unable to open it. Could you email it to me?
It’s zipped. Easiest is download to a computer, unzip and load into a GPS program like Gaia.