First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Blenker
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Hello All,

I just ordered a pair of timbren 3500lb axels to start my square drop trailer. I am trying to keep the weight down because I'm towing with a Subaru. I keep having and internal debate on how to build out the cab. I am considering using T-slot aluminum for bracing/shelves (It is impressively strong in my experience with my 2016 tacoma Prinsu Rack).

Option 1: Frame out with wood, skin and fiberglass

Option 2: Use plywood, Skeletonize the sheets, skin and Fiberglass.

Option 3: Use starboard or another HDPE

Option 4: Frame out the cab in aluminum

Any suggestions are appreciated. I'll put up pictures as I go along.

Reactions: Timbren-Industries

kwill

Rank II

Enthusiast III

TX
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Williams
I'm no expert but I've owned two aluminum square drop trailers. One of them had 3,500 lb axles and the other had 2,500 lb axles. The lighter axle was better. If the axle is too stiff your trailer bounces around and everything in it looks like it has been through a blender.

Jacob Blenker

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Florida, USA
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Blenker
Member #

Service Branch
Army
@kwill good point. I was considering that… I haven’t ordered material yet but that is something I’ll have to be aware of.

Jacob Blenker

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Florida, USA
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Blenker
Member #

Service Branch
Army
@TahoePPV Thank you. I see that as a solution. I wont be sure of the dry weight until I get things more under way. Being able to get it built and determine the handling characteristics with the 3500 lb bushings first will be better than starting light and going up from there.

Reactions: Sparksalot

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Mines all steel and I weigh in at 2100 empty. if I was to do it again, I would have used aluminum. I'm sure I could have gotten it around 1500. As was posted already, you don't have much choice on spring rate. The ones I watched with too much spring bounce horribly. One of my buddies trailer actually bounces hard enough to come off the ground. Do some careful planning before you buy your axles.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
My teardrop is around 1500-1600 loaded. I have 2000# leaf springs with no shocks. It settled down quite a bit when I got rid of “trailer” tires and put some P radials on it.

Reactions: PCO6

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

My teardrop is around 1500-1600 loaded. I have 2000# leaf springs with no shocks. It settled down quite a bit when I got rid of “trailer” tires and put some P radials on it.
I built an expedition trailer with a 3,500 lb. axle and 2,000 lb. leaf springs without shocks and it works well. I've started a teardrop build and am going with the same combination, although I might add shocks. I have C rated Goodyear Duratracs and will go with the same on the new build. Same as what I use on the Jeep. I'm aiming for the same weight as yours.

Reactions: Jacob Blenker

Jacob Blenker

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Florida, USA
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Blenker
Member #

Service Branch
Army
@TahoePPV im actually having second thoughts about aluminum. I’m basing my dry weight on the trailer itself, being the cab and tongue box. I plan on having a 2k power bank, 2k but ac. Ice box. Kitchen. 20-30 gallons of water. Jerry cans. 2 spares, bicycles. That’s why I’m wanting to keep the dry weight down. Once it’s loaded for a trip it would ride much better.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Jacob Blenker

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Florida, USA
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Blenker
Member #

Service Branch
Army
@smritte

What is the size of your trailer? I am considering going steel and cutting weight elsewhere. Given the size of the trailer, It would require less materials to make it strong. One of my big reasons for aluminum is because I live in Florida but I figure Im going to have the frame line x'd anyway.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
The box is 5’ wide X 4.5’ High, a tad over 9’long. The inside just fits a queen mattress. My axle width match's my cruiser so my tires track the same.
If you look at my build thread, there's a few pics of the framework. The lower platform is good but I copied the upper part based on other trailers. The upper is radical over kill. I could have shaved a bunch of weight there and a bit in the lower.
On post 70 of my build thread, you can see the weight. This was with all my gear but no water. I have it sitting on 3 of my corner balance scales.
If you can weld aluminum, I would do the lower in aluminum and the upper out of just good quality plywood.

Jacob Blenker

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Florida, USA
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Blenker
Member #

Service Branch
Army
@smritte Thank you for sharing your thread. I see that you framed out the cab in steel. I was considering that and skinning it with an aluminum poly paneling. I plan on the Cab being roughly 8'x5.5'. I want to build out the walls to be flush with the tires as opposed to a fender. I already purchased the timbren 3500 axels to force myself into starting the project, haha. I do plan on using leaner materials. For example the base of the frame would be 2x2. I don't have a lot of knowledge in structural steel but know a bit about it from my being a blade smith. As much as I love overbuilding stuff, I want to engineer the hell out of this.

Last edited:

Silver Rover

Rank V

Member III

Montgomery, Texas, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

Hello All,

I just ordered a pair of timbren 3500lb axels to start my square drop trailer. I am trying to keep the weight down because I'm towing with a Subaru. I keep having and internal debate on how to build out the cab. I am considering using T-slot aluminum for bracing/shelves (It is impressively strong in my experience with my 2016 tacoma Prinsu Rack).

Option 1: Frame out with wood, skin and fiberglass

Option 2: Use plywood, Skeletonize the sheets, skin and Fiberglass.

Option 3: Use starboard or another HDPE

Option 4: Frame out the cab in aluminum

Any suggestions are appreciated. I'll put up pictures as I go along.
Have you considered structural foam board and PMF - poor man's fiberglass?

There are you-tubes on both.

Jacob Blenker

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Florida, USA
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Blenker
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Have you considered structural foam board and PMF - poor man's fiberglass?

There are you-tubes on both.

I'll check it out. Is it lighter than the foam core aluminum. If the cost differential is enough may be worth it.

I watched this. its essentially how they make carolina skiffs. Definitely good for keeping the water out.

Silver Rover

Rank V

Member III

First Name
Mark
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

I built a modified Teardrop trailer
Body 10 ft long(including bullnose), 4 ft sides, 6 ft wide (tires inside the wall). I used a Northern Tool trailer kit, plywood sheathed in PFG-(poor man's fiberglass). Rear 2 ft - kitchen- 3 burner propane stove, 12 V electric system for interior lighting, water pump, refrigerator/ freezer, 200 watts solar, power pack(60 AH) and storage space. Inside, 30 gal water tank under the bed, 14 inch, wall to wall shelf over foot of bed, roof opens so we can stand up in bull nose area. Hi-clearance Timbren suspension with off-road spindles, electric brakes and 17 inch Jeep wheels. 20 lb. Propane tank & spare tire mounted on tongue and Lock & Roll off-road hitch. See picture in my profile

Jacob Blenker

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Florida, USA
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Blenker
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Body 10 ft long(including bullnose), 4 ft sides, 6 ft wide (tires inside the wall). I used a Northern Tool trailer kit, plywood sheathed in PFG-(poor man's fiberglass). Rear 2 ft - kitchen- 3 burner propane stove, 12 V electric system for interior lighting, water pump, refrigerator/ freezer, 200 watts solar, power pack(60 AH) and storage space. Inside, 30 gal water tank under the bed, 14 inch, wall to wall shelf over foot of bed, roof opens so we can stand up in bull nose area. Hi-clearance Timbren suspension with off-road spindles, electric brakes and 17 inch Jeep wheels. 20 lb. Propane tank & spare tire mounted on tongue and Lock & Roll off-road hitch. See picture in my profile
Very cool. Where can I see it in your profile? Id like to check it out.

Silver Rover

Rank V

Member III

First Name
Mark
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

Very cool. Where can I see it in your profile? Id like to check it out.
The background picture at the top. If somebody can tell me how to upload pictures I can send add'l pictures