The 'It is Official Overland Expo East' thread

• HTML tutorial

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

But can you hang around a campfire in a can with a whole bunch of fellow OLB members from all over the US and swap stories? That, my friend, is priceless :tonguewink:
Do you have any idea how hard it is to tag you? Anyway...don't forget my beer!!

thedaddybadger

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Dallas, GA, USA
First Name
Danny
Last Name
Boles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WREZ965
I'm anxious to see how they handle groups this year myself. I know they learned a lot from last year (it was the 1st year at Biltmore) and have made some adjustments. But, it's still an outdoor event, run by lots of volunteers, and things are going to go wrong. Miscommunications are going to happen. Expect the unexpected. That's my single-most-important advice to anyone that is new to Overland Expo.

That said, my crew and I (Peach State Overland) are hoping to camp right next to the OB Camp so I can split my time between them. Plus, we're hosting a little party Saturday night at our camp. I drive up from Atlanta GA Wednesday and will leave around lunchtime. See y'all soon!!!

Also, keep our Gulf Coast, Texan, and Floridian and Gulf of Mexico friends in your thoughts and prayers. I've seen a lot of the damage they're facing ... and it's awful. Our Puerto Rican friends especially. It may even be worse than Katrina was for Haiti.

Dr Defendr

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hey OB!

We'll be there rain or shine for the our 3rd East! Planning to come from Chicago early Weds if we get into the Final 8 for the Cool Ride Contest! If not, then Thurs as we start our East Coast Road Trip from the Keys up to Canada.

If you see the Defender parked in the wrong spot; stop by, leave a note, beer, or something very random to tell us where to go!

Last year, there were a bunch of Jeeps who formed a giant CIRCLE on the very South end. We were outsiders...in a Land Rover...very jealous!!

The first year, we were grouped with tons of Land Rovers, took all the classes in the hurricane and it was definitely worth the price. There were fire pit parties and many large gatherings. Last year, there were less LR's and we decided not to take the classes since we thought it would be redundant. We walked around and met a bunch of great overlanders, but missed the giant fire pit parties and sense of community. It was still worth it, but I wish there were more random fire pits to gather to keep us warm and dry!

Either way, don't be shy, bring beer, ask questions and plan for rain!
See you there!
Rob
revel.motorcycles

Here a pic from last years Expo:

Attachments

Valmore

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Canonsburg PA, USA
First Name
Val
Last Name
Valiente
Member #

Hey OB!

We'll be there rain or shine for the our 3rd East! Planning to come from Chicago early Weds if we get into the Final 8 for the Cool Ride Contest! If not, then Thurs as we start our East Coast Road Trip from the Keys up to Canada.

If you see the Defender parked in the wrong spot; stop by, leave a note, beer, or something very random to tell us where to go!

Last year, there were a bunch of Jeeps who formed a giant CIRCLE on the very South end. We were outsiders...in a Land Rover...very jealous!!

The first year, we were grouped with tons of Land Rovers, took all the classes in the hurricane and it was definitely worth the price. There were fire pit parties and many large gatherings. Last year, there were less LR's and we decided not to take the classes since we thought it would be redundant. We walked around and met a bunch of great overlanders, but missed the giant fire pit parties and sense of community. It was still worth it, but I wish there were more random fire pits to gather to keep us warm and dry!

Either way, don't be shy, bring beer, ask questions and plan for rain!
See you there!
Rob
revel.motorcycles

Here a pic from last years Expo:
I remember your Defender from last year, I was showing the Imaging Travilvan.

I am leaving from Pittsburgh (Washington, PA Area) on Thursday morning at around 7:00 am, in case anybody want to Comboy down, I also live right out the highway (I79), in case anybody needs some help or even camp in my yard!

Reactions: Dr Defendr

outwardbound

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mascoutah, IL
Member #

I remember your Defender from last year, I was showing the Imaging Travilvan.

I am leaving from Pittsburgh (Washington, PA Area) on Thursday morning at around 7:00 am, in case anybody want to Comboy down, I also live right out the highway (I79), in case anybody needs some help or even camp in my yard!
Awesome. Looking forward to meeting you all! It may be tough to convince the OXE team to allow us to reserve spots, but let's start a head count now for those coming in wednesday and thursday. I think@dziner and myself will be the earliest arrivals wednesday afternoon/evening.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Reactions: dziner and Valmore

outwardbound

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mascoutah, IL
Member #

By the way, what's everyone driving? I noted the defender, saw a couple jeeps in profile pics. Any Toyotas other than me?

Reactions: dziner

outwardbound

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mascoutah, IL
Member #

@dziner,

I'll do some map recon this weekend and determine a good link up point off of 83 near winchester. And we can solidify the details, timeline, etc..

Are you still thinking to take part of the blue ridge parkway, or do we want to cruise straight down 83 to get there and get setup.

Beee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Noblesville, IN
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Ruschak
Member #

Looks like Friday morning for me. I will be there with my 4Runner and Hiker Trailer. Could not get the extra day off work to be there on Thursday. Looking forward to meeting up with the OB crew and checking out all the rigs.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

@dziner,

I'll do some map recon this weekend and determine a good link up point off of 83 near winchester. And we can solidify the details, timeline, etc..

Are you still thinking to take part of the blue ridge parkway, or do we want to cruise straight down 83 to get there and get setup.

Awesome. Thank you. I think if we can find a good fuel stop on the south side of Winchester, that would be awesome. That way we can fuel up, bio break, coffee, whatever, then hit the road south. Probably stick to 81 south (not 83 unless you're going to Baltimore) so we can make time and get setup. That way we're not rushing to setup camp in the dark.

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

outwardbound

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mascoutah, IL
Member #

Awesome. Thank you. I think if we can find a good fuel stop on the south side of Winchester, that would be awesome. That way we can fuel up, bio break, coffee, whatever, then hit the road south. Probably stick to 81 south (not 83 unless you're going to Baltimore) so we can make time and get setup. That way we're not rushing to setup camp in the dark.
Yes. 81. That's what I meant. I have no desire to go to Baltimore. Sounds like a good plan.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I'm planning on leaving my house Wednesday evening and driving down to Harrisonburg Va (81 rolls right through it) for the night. Who's planning on rolling in Thursday from the NE at this point?

By the way, what's everyone driving? I noted the defender, saw a couple jeeps in profile pics. Any Toyotas other than me?
2015 Subaru Outback. Toyota owns a 1/4 of Subaru so does that count? Haha.

Shazar

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Hello everyone, I'm glad I found this thread! Actually, this is my first posting, and my first Overland Expo. I'm excited that there will be OverlandBound peeps there, I'm so behind in meeting and saying hello in the forums. I'm traveling down from Long Island, in New York!

Reactions: Valmore

outwardbound

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mascoutah, IL
Member #

@dziner, so I just emailed Cyan@overland expo about admission. We know as volunteers that we get free admission to the expo but I asked if that covered Biltmore admission too and if so, are they going to know who we are at the main entrance to give us passes to get in.

BTW, looked over the packet, we need to be in there by 5pm if we're going to camp at Biltmore that night so I think I-81, expeditiously, is the right answer. If we link up in/around southern Winchester around 7, that ought to put us in good time to get there before 5pm. Plus, its mid week and mid-day so traffic shouldn't be too bad going down.