Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

Cat's out of the bag - we are going to be at Expo East!!!!! Or some of us are...

Corrie and Michael will be at OTG in Cali, so @Chris Jones , Jordan Brooks (@Overland-Indiana ), and I will be manning the OB booth at Expo East (along with some great OB Member volunteers)

So - here are some thoughts and questions:

Traveling there:
  • Chris will be coming from Massachusetts on Wednesday - if you want to caravan, let Chris know
  • Jordan will be coming from Indiana on Thursday - if you want to caravan, let Jordan know
  • I will be driving out from New Mexico - lots and lots of I-40, leaving Tuesday afternoon - if you want to caravan, let me know
Camping:
  • Chris and I will be arriving on Wednesday afternoon / evening, if anyone else is going to be there that early and want to meet up / camp, let us know
  • For folks that will be on the 1st half of Thursday, and want to rally outside of Biltmore and roll in together so we can get a big camp spot, let us know
  • We are going to try to get as much camping space all together as we can - look for the giant Base Camp flag that will be flying - if you can't camp near us, please be sure to come by and say hello - we will try to do some social something around the "camp fire" each night too.
  • If we don't see you at any of the above, please come by the booth
Looking forward to connecting with as many members as we can!

Super psyched -
Ryan

Dave Hughes

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Same here I will be there Wednesday night possibly Thursday morning. Is there a meet up address for the rolling thunder meet up?

Coming from Maryland , Still debating on the ATA route down there.

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I'd like to have some off road fun in Virginia so I'm not sure on the time yet but I'll be rolling in Thursday.

Reactions: dziner

outwardbound

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mascoutah, IL
Member #

I'll be there Wednesday afternoon/evening as well to volunteer for setup on thursday. It'd be great to set up camp near some OB members. Coming from Maryland and may be linking up with another OB member driving from Harrisburg along the way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Dave Hughes

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

I'll be there Wednesday afternoon/evening as well to volunteer for setup on thursday. It'd be great to set up camp near some OB members. Coming from Maryland and may be linking up with another OB member driving from Harrisburg along the way.

what part of Maryland?

Duh Never-mind , I see it says Columbia , thats 30 min from me.

SC Rubicon

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Dayton, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Drehs
Member #

Service Branch
Navy Veteran
I am new to the forum and OB. I will be at the EXPO and would love to camp with other OB members. With the official start on Friday, if we show up on Wednesday, can we still set up on the property early? I was planning on getting there Thursday evening but can be there Wednesday to help set things up and get a head start.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

@dziner is coming from Harrisburg and we were thinking to meet up in winchester area near I -81. If ypu want to link up we can all convoy together.

I'll be picking up 81 in Harrisburg on my way down from Boston on Wednesday. If y'all are still around when I make to that area id join the convoy.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I'll be running through the same stretch of 81.... might have to see if I can make Wednesday work.

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

@Chris Jones @outwardbound @Wawa Skittletits

I live 5 minutes off I81 in Harrisburg, PA. I'm scheduled to volunteer/work Thursday afternoon for setup. Would love to head down with you guys and camp with the OB crew. Keep me posted on possible rendezvous times.

Biltmore is 526 miles (8 hours) from Harrisburg via I81. Not including fuel stops, meal stops, bio breaks.

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

outwardbound

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mascoutah, IL
Member #

So Winchester, VA is 1 hr 50 minutes from me in Columbia, MD. @dziner I recall you mentioning leaving around 5 am? Looks like your about the same distance away from Winchester in Harrisburg. I can link up with you there near the I-81 interchange in Winchester, VA somewhere. If we stay on I-81 the whole way to Asheville, it'll take a hair over 6 hours (without stops and not accounting for the construction they have going on (so we'll say 8 hours). If we choose to wait or leave a little later, we can link up with @Wawa and @Chris_Jones.... Albeit, he's got a serious hike from Boston.

Thoughts?

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

So Winchester, VA is 1 hr 50 minutes from me in Columbia, MD. @dziner I recall you mentioning leaving around 5 am? Looks like your about the same distance away from Winchester in Harrisburg. I can link up with you there near the I-81 interchange in Winchester, VA somewhere. If we stay on I-81 the whole way to Asheville, it'll take a hair over 6 hours (without stops and not accounting for the construction they have going on (so we'll say 8 hours). If we choose to wait or leave a little later, we can link up with @Wawa and @Chris_Jones.... Albeit, he's got a serious hike from Boston.

Thoughts?
I know I'll need to stop probably twice for fuel and bio-break. My pup is riding shotgun too so he'll need to stretch. My recent travels to Oliver Springs, Tennessee was about the same distance. I left Harrisburg at 5am and pulled into camp around 4:15pm. I met up with someone in WV and we stopped for lunch along the way. We also got stuck in traffic on I81 with the construction and an accident. It's a weekday too so take into account any weekday traffic around the metro areas (though I should be through that around sunrise - MD, WV, Northern-VA).

I'm curious to know what @Chris Jones schedule is for Wednesday. It's a very long hike to make it to Asheville from Massachusetts. But I'll let him chime in.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I would say don't make plans around me. I'm leaving sometime around 5:00 am. Barring major traffic events, I expect I would be down in Ashville between 8:00 and 9:00 pm.

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

@Chris Jones and I are likely going to be camping just north of Asheville (off of 19/23 which goes back to I-81) on Sunday night after Expo if anyone would like join us. Will be up off of Barnardsville, near Snakes Den - cool fire road and some good camping spots.

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

@Chris Jones and I are likely going to be camping just north of Asheville (off of 19/23 which goes back to I-81) on Sunday night after Expo if anyone would like join us. Will be up off of Barnardsville, near Snakes Den - cool fire road and some good camping spots.
I wish I could join you guys but I need to be back to work Monday morning. Sounds like a great place to camp!

outwardbound

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mascoutah, IL
Member #

I might be able to join the Sunday night camp depending on volunteer schedule at Expo. Right now, I am scheduled for 8 hours on Thursdays and for almost 8 hours on Monday (although I read that they only give you 12 total) so I will follow up with Cyan when we get there on Wed/Thur.
@dziner, I am fine meeting whenever and definitely not in a hurry Wednesday but volunteer shift starts around 8 am Thursday morning so I'd like to get there around dinner time and set up camp before dark at the latest. If this works for you, then we can plan to link up in the Winchester, VA area. @Dave Hughes, if you're leaving Wednesday, we can link up anywhere in the DC area.