The In-No-Hurry™ Big Whup build/mod thread

• HTML tutorial

RAngone

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chicago | Western Suburbs
Member #

Here is the thread for my 2017 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium with KDSS in Super White with Pro Kit build. I have a few things we are sorting out as we make this a capable Overlanding rig in the future. This forum has been very helpful. We're loving the truck, too.

I'm working with a vinyl wrap installer to add this graphic I designed to the shoulder line. Its a bit of a throwback to 4Runner stickers of the past. I designed this the day I bought the truck, the colored panel in red could also be black or grey, but I like red so far. The black part of the design will be reflective.

4runnerstripe(PRO).jpg 4runnerstripe(PRO)grey.jpg

I am going to mount the Overland Bound medallions into the TRD Off Road cluster on the C pillar, or find a good spot along the vinyl sticker to put them.
Since I have the PRO style front grill I am going to Plasti dip those badges to match the grey Toyota letters.
(When all the badges synch up the vinyl design might look better with the grey panel, I dunno yet.) I also bought additional TRD Off Road badges to put on the lower right tailgate if I like the way it comes out. Maybe I'll get another medallion for there instead. I cant decide! Afterall, the PROs have tailgate badging, why not us Off Road-sters!

As of now, I have ordered the C4 Fab sliders with the steps. I have no expectation that they will be here any time soon, but I hope to get them powdercoated and installed before our trip to Colorado this winter. I want to powdercoat color match the steps in the badge grey as well. The silver bumper sections I'm not going to mess with yet. the 4 runner on the tailgate I will plasti dip grey. All of this color fidgeting is thanks to all of discussions on this and other forums, btw. Woohoo!

Next and most important will be to add 275/70 17s onto the TRD pro wheels. Were going with goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs. I will put one on the spare as well and keep the spare underneath for now.

We got a free albeit odd looking rooftop box so if I can rig it to the stock crossbars we will postpone the roof rack. I took a turn away from the full Gobi for Moonroofs and now think the Front Runner 9 slat rack is the one for us. It wont spoil the use of the moonroof and they are making safari style rails for their systems now. The only thing I don't like about this is the light bar option is out this far back on the roofline, but I don't think I need that kind of lighting any time soon.
IMG_3266.jpg
HID lighting headlight and fog conversion will come next, just haven't decided the actuals on this.

That will be it for our planned upgrades before the end of the year, unless the box doesn't work out. Fingers crossed.

----------------------

2018 thoughts: (Listen up Santa!)

-3" lift, not sure exactly what setup but this looks like the right stuff in this installation vid. I wont change the wheels though, I like the TRDs a lot:

-C4 Fab front bumper with integrated light bar and winch. I like the taller bullnose/gusseted version.

-Roofrack and Ladder. Probably FR/9 and Gobi ladder.
See you around.

Last edited:

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Nice plans for your T4R! Have you considered a Prinsu rack? Three of us here locally installed the full length on our 4Runners. They are lower profile than most options, and aluminum.

Take a peek at my modification thread in my sig for some ideas on fogs. I look forward to seeming how yours progresses.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: RAngone

RAngone

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Nice plans for your T4R! Have you considered a Prinsu rack? Three of us here locally installed the full length on our 4Runners. They are lower profile than most options, and aluminum.

Take a peek at my modification thread in my sig for some ideas on fogs. I look forward to seeming how yours progresses.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk
Will do Steve. Thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: Steve

WindyCity_MDX

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Nice T4R. The rooftop box looks posh :tearsofjoy: and ready to hit the malls. Just kidding. Can't complain too much if it was free!

Which graphics shop are you working with? I used Graphic Alliance in Arlington Heights a couple of years ago to do a gloss black roof wrap.

RAngone

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

No doubt. If I can get it to function correctly it will be allowed, I'll take function over form for now while we save up for the other stuff. The things we do for dogs.

I'm working with VisuCom in Mokena on the stripe kits.

RAngone

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

I just couldn't resist badging the tailgate like the TRD Pros do so I just added the TRD Off Road badging as a distraction to waiting to fund the other more practical Overlanding mods. I think these badges are going to need to get dipped now. Not sure if I am going to add another OB badge but it would fit there...IMG_3509.jpg IMG_3510.jpg IMG_3511.jpg IMG_3508.jpg

RAngone

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

IMG_4105.jpg IMG_4109.jpg IMG_4114.jpg IMG_4119.jpg

Just picked up from my local Fed Ex freight terminal and dropped off at the powdercoaters. I must say the folks at C4Fab team really packs their parts with care. The terminal forklift man was very impressed. I chose the TRD cutout and I like it a lot. More to come...

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmy P

RAngone

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Here they are in the powder coat. I chose matte black for the sliders and Argenta Gray for the foot plates. This grey matches the grey toyota logo on the front grill. Im going to replace the stainless fasteners with black oxide stainless torx bolts before I put these on the truck.

IMG_4173-1.jpg

RAngone

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Met Chris from Evanston today at ChiTown4x4. So now the 265 Duratracs, 1.25" BORA Spacers, Baja Pro Wide Cornering fogs, LED interior and low beam HID upgrades and ARB Diff Breather are all complete. Put a few patches and stickers on as well. This is the setup for our trip to CO. I am stoked that the build is done this soon. One glitch, we had to move the fender well, trim a little off the bumper and remove the front mud flaps in order to not rub. It wasn't a big surprise but I want to figure out how to get the mud flaps back on which will take some noodling and some hot air I think. Kudos to Rick at Chitown4x4, it was a fun day playing with the truck. I just finished levelling the headlights and my entire garage smells like new rubber. Cheers.IMG_4420.JPG IMG_4433.JPG IMG_4442.JPG IMG_4444.JPG IMG_4434.JPG

Reactions: k9sar and Jimmy P

RAngone

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

The LED Amber Bajas are pretty incredible. These are the Squadron Pro wide cornering version. (Another cool thing about these is you can swap out the lense and they become the longer reaching Driving Combo lights).

If you are considering the Sport vs. Pro, I recommend the Pros. They are brighter, just remember neither model is street legal. So, you can't just leave them on like the stock versions. Off road or no other traffic around only. Amber is great for adding contrast, and when you need a lot more light out in the woods you might as well get the brightest you can.

Lastly, the kit comes with a bezel that helps fill in the foglight housing. You install it by removing the cover and screwing it on. However, if you stack them you will completely eliminate the gap. You just need to order longer screws to do so. I got mine in black anodized and it came out great.

IMG_4466.JPG IMG_4398 (1).JPG IMG_4423.JPG

Reactions: k9sar and Jimmy P

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Lastly, the kit comes with a bezel that helps fill in the foglight housing. You install it by removing the cover and screwing it on. However, if you stack them you will completely eliminate the gap. You just need to order longer screws to do so. I got mine in black anodized and it came out great.
Well that's new! They didn't have these when I bought mine. With the black 4Runner, it isn't obvious that there's a gap, though. Mine also do not have the "Squadron Pro" markings or the black screws.

How do you aim them if the filler fits flush against the surround?

13256467_837439616385945_8520812570892643757_n.jpg

RAngone

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Hey Steve,
First off, the new bezel covers the factory lettering on mine, and I'm not sure why yours aren't marked, they may be a different series?

The brackets that are used to mount the entire assembly pointed the lights, not the bezel. The surround, like the rest of the bumper cover, is pretty forgiving. When it all gets tightened up it was just a best guess that they were aimed low enough. The ones I have are wide cornering, so aiming them isn't as big a deal as a spot light or race profile would be. I love how much light they throw but there is no way I'd ever unleash them if another vehicle is around.

Lastly, I bought the black fasteners in order to have enough thread to mount these with both the original cover and the filler bezel. They did not come from Baja that way. They supplied the silver stainless screws only.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Mine are also the Baja Design Squadron-R Pro Amber Wide/Cornering. I bought them summer 2016, so those changed are new. Left/right was pretty much set by the mount, but up/down was adjustable by quite a bit.

And, yes, they are bright! I warn people considering them, that if they are the type to drive around all day with their fogs on, please don't get these lights! I've done the override mod so that I can have my OEM high beams, HID low beams, fogs, and my 32" roof bar all on at the same time. I swear that it makes a light saber sound when I switch them all one! :)

OEM fogs vs Squadron-R Pro with identical manual camera settings:
13239094_837510966378810_4738214158208166967_n.jpg

RAngone

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

LOL, yes, they do make a noise when they come to life. I'm glad I wasn't imagining that. I only use them in very dark and remote parts of our drives. I am very excited to know these will be excellent in the mountain passes we will be seeing in the near future. And, I think I saw these pics on the t4R forum so you helped us make the decision to go "pro". Thanks!

Reactions: Steve

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Yes, I posted a whole series of photos showing before and after of each set of lights I replaced, and combinations of lights. You are very welcome. I’m glad they helped.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

DRLExpress

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Estacada OR
Member #

Mine are also the Baja Design Squadron-R Pro Amber Wide/Cornering. I bought them summer 2016, so those changed are new. Left/right was pretty much set by the mount, but up/down was adjustable by quite a bit.

And, yes, they are bright! I warn people considering them, that if they are the type to drive around all day with their fogs on, please don't get these lights! I've done the override mod so that I can have my OEM high beams, HID low beams, fogs, and my 32" roof bar all on at the same time. I swear that it makes a light saber sound when I switch them all one! :)

OEM fogs vs Squadron-R Pro with identical manual camera settings:
View attachment 39449
More of a camera question. I always grin when people use auto cameras to show lite comparisons. If yours is on manual
what makes the sky and distant buildings so different?

BTW impressive lights.

Doug

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I always grin when people use auto cameras to show lite comparisons. If yours is on manual
what makes the sky and distant buildings so different?
The difference in background light can be attributed to the time of day I took the photos. OEM was one evening, and Baja Design the next. I didn't get done in time to take the photos at exactly the same time of day as the OEM photo, hence the darker background.

All photos were taken on my Nikon D750 w/24-120 lens. Lens was at 24mm, camera was in full manual mode, ISO was set to 640, aperture at f/4.0, exposure at 1/2 second, handheld with the body resting on the top of my steering wheel. The only thing still on auto was white balance.

Sorry for the hijack, @RAngone