The G.M. Hummer that should've worked...

• HTML tutorial

H3Coyote

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

MidWest, U.S., by Chicago.
Member #

Okay, it's been dumping snow like iced diarrhea espressos here, and I've got a blown head gasket in the GMC.
Now, I didn't blow the head gasket in the GMC, I bought it as a toy, to take all the body off of, and build as a tube framed cab, to run up against trees, rocks, and through mud pits. I drove it home the way it is, parked it, and put plates on it. Then I went out to start it, and the oil and antifreeze are clean, but it has water drops on the dip-stick, and won't pump heat after it's warmed up to operating temperature. So I parked it until I had more time, and less cold weather.
I had seen a buggy build in the forum, and kinda always wanted to do another one since I sold mine during the divorce, but my first Baja Bug didn't have heat.
So I decided to use 2 or 3 inch extended lift struts (like they do on a caprice to fit 26 inch wheels) on a Chevy Cavalier, and run 27 or 28 inch mud tires on it.
Since this is Illinois and playing in the snow is AWESOME, I figured a front engine, front wheel drive buggy would be different, and kinda cool. So I picked up this little punk rock girl as a driving project to do sort of like a Southern California dune toy would be.
But I'm still looking for a Mercedes OM606 diesel for the H3...
20180210_023828.jpg A2.JPG 20180210_024220.jpg 1300-horsepower-sand-rail-buckshot-x-2r-dune-buggy.jpg

H3Coyote

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Or...
I could back half the GMC frame, weld in a 4 link kit, and drop the Cavalier body on top, then boatside the frame and body together, and have a 4 WD buggy...
That might be different enough to be cool if I did it right...

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

We drove up to see Christopher Titus in Madison, that was the night I felt the trans slip, we were 2.5 miles from the house, and I babied it back... nearly SHITTING myself from stress... I argued for a month with the aftermarket warranty company that changing engine oil had nothing to do with the transmission operation, we even took samples of the Royal Purple Engine Oil to send them. But NOOO, they know better than me, I'm only an aircraft mechanic... So, I gutted the drivetrain.View attachment 45345
Third party warranties are mostly scams designed to take your money, and have been for years. I've yet to see a third party warranty reliably pay on legitimate repairs. The last one I had tried to force the dealer to put a junkyard fuel pump in my Suburban. Not even a remanufactured one but straight out of the junkyard unknown condition, used. Fortunately the dealer said no (they weren't going to have it fail and potentially be on the hook for labor to swap it out, and it was just wrong anyway).

Also engine oil doesn't go to transmission. Even if they voided engine, the transmission should have still been covered, or did you change that fluid too? I believe there is some law about warranty that they can't blanket cancel entire coverage for things done on separate pieces. Not sure if that's I'm general though, or just brand new manufacturer warranty.

I like your plans though. Looking forward to seeing you build it out.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: H3Coyote

H3Coyote

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Hey Gregory, yes, I did actually do all the fluids. Flushed the radiator with the "special fluid" they sent me, the trans fluid and filter, oil, diff fluid, I even had the brake fluid changed because it was too dark to see through.
Their stand was two fold, and it worked for them.
First, it was that I did the fluid changes at 3,ooo miles instead of 4,ooo, from the mileage on the odometer from my purchase date.
And second, that I used Royal Purple, which was not their "specified" type.
In the end it came down to the fact that I didn't save samples of the fluids from before the change to compare with the fluids from after the change, even though the trans fluid was changed because I thought it was slipping before the actual failure.
It was a terrible lesson, and your exactly right, the warranty was solely based on the gain of capital into their pockets, than actually protecting a consumer, it was just like your situation that I can almost hear...
"Does the used pump move fluid..? Then it technically works, thus making it fine..." I TOTALLY agree with you, they're all scams.
Thanks for the interest in the build, it's honestly keeping me busy when the weather is tolerable, and it has actually gotten me interested in building again, which keeps my mind off the fact that I should have just opened a record store, and tried to keep the high school band alive... LOL..!

Reactions: Wilkes704

H3Coyote

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Originally, I only changed the oil, then after feeling it slip on the drive to Madison, that's when I changed the fluid and filter in the transmission. That's where their argument of changing my oil made the warranty invalid came from.

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

Hey Gregory, yes, I did actually do all the fluids. Flushed the radiator with the "special fluid" they sent me, the trans fluid and filter, oil, diff fluid, I even had the brake fluid changed because it was too dark to see through.
Their stand was two fold, and it worked for them.
First, it was that I did the fluid changes at 3,ooo miles instead of 4,ooo, from the mileage on the odometer from my purchase date.
And second, that I used Royal Purple, which was not their "specified" type.
In the end it came down to the fact that I didn't save samples of the fluids from before the change to compare with the fluids from after the change, even though the trans fluid was changed because I thought it was slipping before the actual failure.
It was a terrible lesson, and your exactly right, the warranty was solely based on the gain of capital into their pockets, than actually protecting a consumer, it was just like your situation that I can almost hear...
"Does the used pump move fluid..? Then it technically works, thus making it fine..." I TOTALLY agree with you, they're all scams.
Thanks for the interest in the build, it's honestly keeping me busy when the weather is tolerable, and it has actually gotten me interested in building again, which keeps my mind off the fact that I should have just opened a record store, and tried to keep the high school band alive... LOL..!
Was this a used vehicle? I've never seen a warranty penalize you for changing fluids early. Heck, when I buy a used vehicle almost the first thing I do is drain and flush everything and put in fresh. Typically I'll use amsoil. You don't know what's been done or how long fluids have been in there and it's a great way to learn about potential eminent failure if you find shavings. Also, royal purple has the various seals and certifications that it meets or exceeds standards of oils doesn't it? I thought so. Only if you put different weight or something should that hold water. Otherwise lots of people would be voiding warranties on new vehicles when they switch to higher quality synthetics.

I have no doubt the fine print had all kind of special hoops to jump thru to qualify for getting any serious repair covered, but I am still amazed at the extents those people go to avoid paying legitimate claims.

H3Coyote

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Was this a used vehicle? I've never seen a warranty penalize you for changing fluids early. Heck, when I buy a used vehicle almost the first thing I do is drain and flush everything and put in fresh. Typically I'll use amsoil. You don't know what's been done or how long fluids have been in there and it's a great way to learn about potential eminent failure if you find shavings. Also, royal purple has the various seals and certifications that it meets or exceeds standards of oils doesn't it? I thought so. Only if you put different weight or something should that hold water. Otherwise lots of people would be voiding warranties on new vehicles when they switch to higher quality synthetics.

I have no doubt the fine print had all kind of special hoops to jump thru to qualify for getting any serious repair covered, but I am still amazed at the extents those people go to avoid paying legitimate claims.

I TOTALLY agree with you, I always do fluids from the word go, for exactly the same reasons.
They just weren't going to pay, not even for a rebuild, they were against even discussing it from the beginning honestly. It was a solid lesson for me about buying a "certified" used vehicle.
My assumption was that the warranty would be handled in the same manner as a brand new vehicle warranty. I was so wrong, but I even tried to bargain with them in dividing the costs of the labor and the transmission. They were dead set against it, in any way.
I moved on, but I was beside myself for a long time over it.
Then I just started to see the opportunity I actually had to build a really cool, different, vehicle. Something that you don't see everyday, that's where I'm at now.
To them it was always only about getting theirs, strickly business, nothing else. I understand their thought process of how they make money, don't pay out anything ever.

Sent from my SM-T377R4 using OB Talk mobile app

H3Coyote

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Ryan Ewbank

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alabama
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Ewbank
Member #

Truly you never "get done" it just seems to evolve. Cvt off road trailer is in the near future. Then i get to start over , modifying and figuring out the best overland combo.

Sent from my SM-N920V using OB Talk mobile app

H3Coyote

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

THAT looks like a great time..! And you're right, it'll always evolve won't it... LOL, I just need to focus on the drivetrain, I keep getting sidetracked, and I really want to add a high clearance, tube framed trailer like the one that Yeti built and pulled behind his Jeep, his design is genius to me...
I just get off track so quickly... "and then,wait, oh, cool..!"
ltal-tent.jpg hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:

H3Coyote

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I was going to do an LS, but I REALLY wanted a diesel because they never came with one, then when I started looking into that OM606 and found out they run all the way up to 5500 in stock, unmodified form, and make mountains of torque, I was hooked. And so I sold the Chevy, but it was to be that the 5.3 in it, was to be used for this build, nothing else in that truck was going to be used as it was a 4L60e/10 bolt rear truck. I'll admit, I'm not going to be building a show truck, or a full on crawler, but instead, over strong Dana 60 axles, fully manual 4L80, manual transfer case, and simple diesel engine. I just want it very easy to repair, with solid reliability. That 5 cylinder/4L60e (700r4) combination was ridiculous to put in a vehicle that had a true off road "prowess"or "reputation", and GM knew it when they engineered it that way. They were banking on the fact that the public would be as dumb as I was, and the name alone would carry sales for them. Thats the other reason I'm doing the OM606 swap, my own way of thumbing my nose back at them for doing it...

Reactions: del123

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

I TOTALLY agree with you, I always do fluids from the word go, for exactly the same reasons.
They just weren't going to pay, not even for a rebuild, they were against even discussing it from the beginning honestly. It was a solid lesson for me about buying a "certified" used vehicle.
My assumption was that the warranty would be handled in the same manner as a brand new vehicle warranty. I was so wrong, but I even tried to bargain with them in dividing the costs of the labor and the transmission. They were dead set against it, in any way.
I moved on, but I was beside myself for a long time over it.
Then I just started to see the opportunity I actually had to build a really cool, different, vehicle. Something that you don't see everyday, that's where I'm at now.
To them it was always only about getting theirs, strickly business, nothing else. I understand their thought process of how they make money, don't pay out anything ever.

Sent from my SM-T377R4 using OB Talk mobile app
Well, hummer is no more, so it couldn't have been a hummer certified used car. I can tell you that Subaru and Toyota certified used cars are backed by Subaru and Toyota just like a brand new car. Thru the dealer network and all and backed by Subaru and Toyota itself.

To me only the manufacturer backed certified used car programs qualify as certified used cars. Why? In Subaru:a case, the dealer certifies the vehicle on behalf of the manufacturer, has a very specific checklist that has to be completed and turned in to Subaru. If they do things wrong the dealer will get in trouble and lose the ability to certify used cars. Warranty coverage is extended from Subaru, not the dealer and not a third party. It is a very thorough process. I bought a certified used 2012 outback back in 12, and i would totally buy another certified Subaru again. Toyota is similar from what I understand. And I thought most others were as well.

I've heard of dealers selling certified used cars but the dealer was certifying them and it was not in conjunction with manufacturer, it was just the dealers own certification process, no higher authority holding them accountable. And often warranty had to be done in house. Or they used third party warranty services to back them up.

Glad you got over it eventually. Have to say the diesel idea sounds cool. Hope you're able to do it.