The G.M. Hummer that should've worked...

• HTML tutorial

itsatruck

Rank 0

Contributor I

US
Hey, this is a really cool project! From what I know the H3 has some drivetrain similarities to a Trailblazer. Maybe you could get ahold of the straight six or v8 from one of those? Horsepower and torque are in the upper 200s.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Reactions: H3Coyote

H3Coyote

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

MidWest, U.S., by Chicago.
Member #

Thanks everyone for the support, ive been REALLY digging into the research on the Mercedes om606...
HUGE thank you out to Motohead1 for that, you're a good man..!
I'm liking what I've been finding out about the ability of that engine.
As progress goes, I've been in contact with a fabrication shop this past week to get some lower A arms done to convert it to coil over suspension and delete the torsion bars, they're fine for the more generic civilian attempt of GM's original plan, but it's just not where I'm taking it, I love the idea of a Independent Front Suspension, and a woman I've met on another forum has done wonderful work with her ideas and build. She used a Dana 44 center section, with great success to keeping things "reasonably" priced, and the parts are all solid GM aftermarket upgrades. She used Rockford Constant Velocity axles, that company is here locally, so I'll have no issues picking up spares...
But, that's where I'm at for now, the weather is starting to break, so I'll be ordering the new welder and generator soon, I'M TOTALLY happy about that, I can't wait to get started again, this year is going to be a busy one...

Reactions: Adventure Bully Rig

H3Coyote

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Hey, this is a really cool project! From what I know the H3 has some drivetrain similarities to a Trailblazer. Maybe you could get ahold of the straight six or v8 from one of those? Horsepower and torque are in the upper 200s.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Itsatruck, Thanks man, I sure appreciate the support..! I'm going to jump on an om606 I found locally, I really like the idea of the diesel, depenability, mileage, and low end torque these engines make with simplistic modifications, and there's so much out there for them. They're kind of gaining a cult following on their own. Not to mention, when somebody sees the engine in the h3 engine bay, the swap shock factor will be awesome to see on their face...

Reactions: itsatruck

H3Coyote

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

OH, Tinker, I may have made a mistake, I think Chris' H3 may have been an original 5.3 Alpha..? Or he mentioned doing the swap..? I can't remember where to look that up now, I apologize for the mix up, my memory is shot... Maybe he was referring to the guy that did the REALLY COOL, tan, slant back conversion with Duwayne from Boyd Coddington's old shop... He's a great guy to talk to also. Out here is a guy who has done a lot of research, and wheels a lot. The name he goes by on the internet is "Shwartzy". Actually, as I read all of what I just wrote, it may sound like I know them, but I've only ever just messaged them back and forth. I think I have a picture of the slant back "Recon H3", I have a ton of screen captures of his build...
ai4.photobucket.com_albums_y109_CanaryLupo_Recon_20H3_20Project_8140d194.jpg ai4.photobucket.com_albums_y109_CanaryLupo_Recon_20H3_20Project_0a28e65d.jpg

H3Coyote

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Thank you Montaska, I'm so ready to get back in and get to work on it, I'll be sure to post pics for y'all this week as I get back to work trimming sheet metal and drilling out the factory spot welds where I trimmed off the roof...
I was trying to get the little Tig welder to work on some practice pieces of the roof section I'd cut off the rear, but it's so close to burning through, I may just pic up a little mig welder this week, and my gloves are missing..(that's weird..? Now I've gotta look in the dog's hiding spots...)
20171018_120549.jpg
Hang on one second, I'll grab a better picture of what I mean...

H3Coyote

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Okay, here's where I'm at, you can see the extra sheet metal I left on the rear where I cut seems to be WAY too much from the outside, but, on the roof are some stamped areas that all have to be matched back up, blend fitted, and welded.
So I want it look as "factory" as possible when its finished, and for me to do that kind of work is a new thing with thin sheet metal.
The part I mentioned earlier, the spot welds you can really see well in these pictures just inboard of the forward panel, next to the rear door.
20180128_221358.jpg 20180128_221237.jpg

Reactions: Tinker

H3Coyote

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

From the inside, it makes me think this rear panel area was almost a second thought add on piece from the factory..?
I first noticed that following Rod Hall's H3 desert racer build when they were posting pics of his internal rear cage...
20180128_221203.jpg 20171018_120533.jpg

H3Coyote

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

This is the goal that I'm shooting for...
A completely open pass through cab area similar to the H2 SUT, it reminds me a lot of my old 4 Runner, Bronco, and K5, when the top is removed.
But with a removable hard bed cover, the "soft top" will be only on the rear wall, above the level of the "bed area" like the original M998 hmmwv. A fold down (into the cab) rear wall from some aluminum tread plate I picked up last week. And an actual drop down tailgate I'll have to build from the original rear door.
112_0408_first_drive_2005_hummer_h2_sut_02z-2005_hummer_h2_sut-open_tailgate_top_angle_view1.jpg
images.jpg

Reactions: N8roro and Arailt

H3Coyote

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I'll mount the spare on a much stronger bumper support along with my "Jerry" cans, I am thinking of a bumper similar to the bumper "bleepin jeep" used on the Hope Floats build he did on YouTube...
That way, I can convince the fiancee she would be more comfortable with a roof tent because of bears, snakes, blackwidows, tics, chiggers, and just plain nasty fire ants (read this as I NEED THIS TENT... LOL)...
T H I S roof tent in particular...
maxresdefault.jpg
20180121_172456.jpg

Reactions: Graeman

H3Coyote

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Thank you Natchez, how is it in harder rain, I really like the idea of the side opening system, but I was curious if the wind "rolls" over the top... Do they build those to pre made sizes or do they build them vehicle specific..? I am really digging that idea...!

Natchez

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Chesapeake, VA, USA
Member #

Thank you Natchez, how is it in harder rain, I really like the idea of the side opening system, but I was curious if the wind "rolls" over the top... Do they build those to pre made sizes or do they build them vehicle specific..? I am really digging that idea...!
I haven’t been in heavy rain yet. But they in an extra rain fly you can deploy for extra protection. Wind is an issue with every RRT but we have seen no issues. Slip on locks are provided so you can lock out the lifting struts.
They are one size. It opens to a the size of a king size bed so it perfect for two adults and their stuff or 2 adults and a couple of kids.

Reactions: H3Coyote

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
@H3Coyote Go Man Go! I love to see builds like this transpire!

Your energy is infective! I would love to see that diesel in there, I'm sure it will be plenty of power for you, but not sure it will be more reliable than the original GM powerplant (?) I thought that 5 cylinder engine was decent, but the transmissions were at their limit for the torque they could accept, from what I've heard.

Your body mods will give you one original vehicle, people will double-take everywhere you go, for sure.

I'll keep an eye on this build, should be interesting!

Dan.

Reactions: itsatruck