The Beginning is the End is the Beginning (The continuing journey of the “Adventure Machine”)

• HTML tutorial

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
@MOAK , im glad you are liking my write up. I’m keeping the TTB front end... I don’t know if I’m going to do a hybrid D50 build on it, a full on D50 swap, or just leave it the way it is...
The TTB makes for a very smooth ride. A solid axle swap would be cool... but I just sold my built D60’s (they were under my Dodge).

jcgraves3

NorthWest Region Member Rep's Portland OR
Investor

Influencer I

Crescent City, Putnam County, Florida, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Graves
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7RJJ
MIke.. love the story and photos. I can tell, despite all the challenges and work, you are having a lot of fun with this. I too enjoy working under the hood :). I have a Harbor Fright Engine hoist and a chain fall that you are welcome to use if you want. We can discuss meeting at a mid point and make a RP out of it if you want. Also you might already be aware, there are two Broncos (88,89) in the Vancouver Pick-n-pull. I frequently go to Pick-pull so, just let me know what you are looking for (tailgate motor and glass) and will check them out.

1599967285355.png
Keep up the good work,

John

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
MIke.. love the story and photos. I can tell, despite all the challenges and work, you are having a lot of fun with this. I too enjoy working under the hood :). I have a Harbor Fright Engine hoist and a chain fall that you are welcome to use if you want. We can discuss meeting at a mid point and make a RP out of it if you want. Also you might already be aware, there are two Broncos (88,89) in the Vancouver Pick-n-pull. I frequently go to Pick-pull so, just let me know what you are looking for (tailgate motor and glass) and will check them out.

View attachment 169885
Keep up the good work,

John
You’re two days late John, I picked up a engine hoist late Thursday night and rented it through till Monday. I would much rather barrowed one (or even bought my own) had I known how much the rental fee was going to be.

as for Bronco parts... about the only thing I’m really lacking is the seat bases... I have some 2001 F150 seats stuffed in there, but they aren’t fitting correctly on the 2001 seat sliders.

Rear window is cheap if I need to replace it. As for the motor itself, I have a whole kit on order from Bronco Grave Yard that will rebuild the whole tailgate assembly, replacing all my worn out parts, dried weatherstripping. i need a steering column, Instrument panel, and possibly the micro switches in the tailgate (the first thing to usually go on these when they hit the JY). If those still have the exterior spare tire carrier, I’m also needing the upper and lower hinges that mount the carrier to the rear quarter panel.

Enthusiast II

Hartford, SD
keep up the good work! Won't be long and you'll be out enjoying it again. Every time I got on a roll making progress on mine this summer something else came along to pull me away from it.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
keep up the good work! Won't be long and you'll be out enjoying it again. Every time I got on a roll making progress on mine this summer something else came along to pull me away from it.
One bolt has me cussing up a storm... I have been trying for three days to get it loose, I’m to the point where in a couple of hours I’m getting under there and grinding the head off... it’s the last bolt holding the engine to the bell housing inspection cover... right behind the y-pipe on the driver side. It’s a tight spot that I can’t get my ratchet to, and my wrench rounded the head off... I’ve tried vice grips and heat and it still won’t budge... I have to get the engine out today... but I can only work in small shifts due to the smoke.
After the bolt, all that is left is removing the hood before I can pull the engine. Then I should be able to pull the transmission out shortly there after...

After watching a couple of other guys doing a M5OD swap the past two weeks, I’m starting to second guess myself on the transmission swap. I think I have all the parts... although now I’m not so sure if I have the correct parts. I don’t remember what master cylinder I have and so not sure if I picked up the correct slave cylinder (oh well I have the original slave from the donor truck so should be a non issue. I also can’t seam to find all the pieces from the transmission cross member, I hope I have the upper frame braces in storage where I have been keeping the parts, which I will be grabbing later today as well.
Tomorrow my drive shafts should be here along with my pitman arm. I ordered up a RedHead steering gearbox early last week and it showed up on Friday. Once the engine is out I’m going to pull the steering gear box and inspect the frame (I hear that it’s prone to stress cracks)... not sure what I will do if I find it cracked... probably bolt it together and fix it at a later date.

The Bronco has been a storage bin for the last month, so I’m also going to need to clean out the front seat at a minimum so I can remove the driver seat, center console, steering column and the transmission tunnel cover. Then I can figure out how to remove the pedal tree and swap in my clutch/brake pedals along with removing the block off plate in the fire wall for the Clutch MC. I wish I had a new steering column at this time, but I can’t score one locally, and I let one go on eBay a few weeks back that I should have snagged up.

I have a few miscellaneous parts to still order:
All the bypass hoses
Vacuum lines
Belt
Get a pressure hose made to go from the winch to the gearbox.
And lastly figure out how I’m going to plumb the transmission coolers into the power steering system. Also wanting to add an extra reservoir to the power steering system to add extra volume for the winch.

I’ll be updating later today/tonight with today’s progress pictures as I finish pulling the engine and transmission... and if all goes as planned, I’ll have the transmission back in tonight; unless I can’t find the cross member pieces in which case I will pick them up tomorrow when I pick up the engine.

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Nice write up, Mike! Enjoyed reading it!

The Bronco is a great rig. Looking good and such a car has a kind of soul (not like all the new cars, which are just cars). So you own something special with that rig and once you have finished the rebuilt you will be happy to drive it and you could be proud of your work.

Looking forward for reading how the rebuild continues.

Cheers, Bjoern

B-R

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tampa, FL, USA
Member #

Mike it’s good to hear I’m not the only one keeping one of these rigs on the road I’ve always thought I wanted a XJ but after getting one for my son as his first rig I quickly realized how much room and comfort the 93 Bronco has I’ll continue to follow along on your rebuild and adventure and heres a pic A09A7DF1-D0D9-4285-86E1-F8D093B2C531.jpeg

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Mike it’s good to hear I’m not the only one keeping one of these rigs on the road I’ve always thought I wanted a XJ but after getting one for my son as his first rig I quickly realized how much room and comfort the 93 Bronco has I’ll continue to follow along on your rebuild and adventure and heres a pic View attachment 169924
Nice looking 5th Gen. after owning 3 (yes 3) XJs, there is no comparison to the Bronco... in stock form I can do way more than I could do with my heavily modified XJs... the only downside to the Bronco is the lack of interior cargo space, especially if a cage is installed (which I will be doing at some point next summer since I am only 4 hours from “All For Fun Off-road” and can have them install it)

@Dakota Houligans also has a build thread on his 1984 Bronco FSB that I have been watching very closely to imitate some of his ideas. I highly recommend checking it out as he goes full bore into revamping his ride.

I’m also a member over on Full Size Bronco Forums (@slimpartywagon). It’s a great community for the 78-96 Broncos. A lot of in depth information for stock restoration to full out monster trucks.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Nice write up, Mike! Enjoyed reading it!

The Bronco is a great rig. Looking good and such a car has a kind of soul (not like all the new cars, which are just cars). So you own something special with that rig and once you have finished the rebuilt you will be happy to drive it and you could be proud of your work.

Looking forward for reading how the rebuild continues.

Cheers, Bjoern
I was on the fence for quite a while regarding fixing it or selling it and getting a 2021... I’m glad I decided to keep the “New” Classic. As much as I love working on cars (was a diesel technician for 30 years with a huge background in light truck repair and auto body) I am tired of working on rigs. Once the “Adventure Machine” gets Resto-Modded I’m hoping it will be my last major undertaking.... ok so ok it won’t... I’m also helping build
My wife’s 4th Gen 4Runner and looking for a basket case 1St Gen 4Runner for my daughter. (My daughter’s 4Runner will be a father daughter project that hopefully incorporates her doing the work unlike our RC Car and Airplanes we did last winter and the winter before where dad did all the work and she just watched).

Reactions: El-Dracho

Enthusiast II

Hartford, SD
I hope you get that bolt out without much more trouble. It's a pain when that happens. Sounds like you may end up removing the exhaust to get better access. or if possible weld a nut on but since you can't get a ratchet in welding it would be tough.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I hope you get that bolt out without much more trouble. It's a pain when that happens. Sounds like you may end up removing the exhaust to get better access. or if possible weld a nut on but since you can't get a ratchet in welding it would be tough.
I’m waiting for the noise ordinance curfew to be lifted in a few minutes, then I’m going to grab a fire extinguisher and a grinder... it’s coming off no matter what... I don’t care if the bolt stays in the transmission or not because the transmission isn’t getting reused in this project. I am going to rebuilt it and either sell it, or put it in another project... daughter can’t make up her mind between the 4Runner or a Rat-Rod...

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Just returned from storage with my transmission... several things I discovered... 1) the transmission is out of a 1989 F-250 which is great news means ordering parts stays the same. 2) I found the transmission in a 1995 F-350 so I assumed they pulled the transmission out of that truck so I ordered all my parts as a 95, and there is a year break at 92... so my slave cylinder and bearings are wrong. 3) I didn’t get the upper crossmember brackets, so I have to go back and get those. 4) I don’t have the correct spacer to go between the transmission and the block. 4) lastly I need to pick up the Wiring harness and the transfer case linkages when I go back tomorrow as well.

Grr there goes for hoping I had all the transmission parts

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I finally got the engine and transmission out with the help of my neighbors. Sunday I am going to empty the cab and disconnect my steering column and install my clutch pedal assembly.
Next week I will be swapping parts over from the old engine to put onto the new one, and hopefully will have a running engine by this time next week.

B-R

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tampa, FL, USA
Member #

Time to hit the trails and enjoy the hard work congratulations on getting it back together!!!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thanks to an unexpected visitor today I finally got my donor delivered today.

Thanks @St0ll3n for borrowing a mutual friend’s F-Word to help me pick up the new engine...

Due to unforeseen events, the project is still on hold though for the most part until after the new year.

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Well six months later and I finally have the engine in. I spent the day yesterday swapping over the exhaust manifolds from the old engine to the JY engine... only to discover the JY engine has a hole in the oil pan... so not sure what I’m going to do there... I don’t have a warm enough place to let the RTV set up...

Today it was just a matter of lifting the engine up and pushing the Bronco forwards.

Tomorrow is going to be getting the transmission ready to put in.

8687EC70-04DB-4D23-88A1-ED28537D0C15.jpeg
9A6D2AC5-5196-49AC-A0F8-0010519042E7.jpeg