The Autism Family Travels updated vehicle build. Take two! 2015 Jeep Patriot altitude.

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Finally. We have our patriot back. I may have to get a four wheel alignment but not 100 percent positive. It rides, handles, and feels way better than with the rc stuff.

I'm going to measure the amount of lift if any. I may try the daystar lift after they settle

Reactions: Flamewave

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I just found a new lift kit we are looking at buying. Its going to give about 6 to 8 inches of lift over the patriot. ha ha. 2017 rubicon recon edition. There is one for sale locally for a good price. It has most of the upgrades over the sport I would want to do. Only things we would have to put on it is teraflex leveling, lower control arms or geo brackets (these if I can), bigger tires and better wheels. Some lighting and a winch. DONE! Got an email sent to the dealer now about it. Crossing our fingers.

Reactions: Red_Leaf_Overland

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Gone. Damn. Oh well, just drive the wheels off our newly awesome riding pat and say EFF it for this year. We lost 1.75" of clearance with the removable of the RC kit, but we gained a much smoother, non banging on every bump suspension. We will take it. Just pic our lines carefully when needed. I am thinking about the 1.5 daystar, but we are going to see how it goes for now.

More to come on the build soon. Roof rack, lighting and some interior goodies...and I am smitten with Fifteen52 wheels, so maybe those will be going on there too!

Reactions: Flamewave

Geo Explore and Adventure

Rank VI

Endurance II

CHARLOTTE
First Name
Barry
Last Name
OReilly
Member #

Love this post, great details on your build. My son has a Jeep Patriot, he is starting to build it out for Overlanding and transporting his kayak, will share this with him, looking forward to seeing your final (never really final, always adding stuff!!) build, and hearing all about your family adventures!

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Love this post, great details on your build. My son has a Jeep Patriot, he is starting to build it out for Overlanding and transporting his kayak, will share this with him, looking forward to seeing your final (never really final, always adding stuff!!) build, and hearing all about your family adventures!
Yeah, it's been a roller coaster ride (pardon the pun) for sure. It's running great now, besides the stereo just crapped the bed. So we now have to replace that. We are going ot get the 10" android unit with carplay. Review up coming/

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
So, it drives like a new vehicle. It's been so long, I have forgotten what it was really like. It now handles off road with ease. Kelly's mother lives in a duplex that has a dirt road to it, and the pat can fly down that road now, where before with the lift, I would have to crawl just to not make it bang. The only issue, is that after the alignment, my steering wheel is crooked while driving straight. That will be fixed asap!

Next up is getting the rest of the upgrades done. Lighting, some more cargo management, and seat covers/floor mats are arriving soon. Oh...and a CB. I need those for when we are on the highway to get information from truckers. Great bunch of folks they are!

Reactions: Red_Leaf_Overland

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Here is the new stereo that's going in. See how it works and report back on that one. I am hoping I can install a USB drive into one of the two USB ports and increase storage of the unit for maps, etc.

2+32G Android 11 Car Stereo for Jeep Patriot Compass 2010-2016 with Apple Carplay Android Auto,10.1'' HD Touchscreen Car Radio with WiFi,GPS Navigation,Bluetooth,FM/RDS,SWC,HIFI,Daul USB+Backup Camera : Amazon.ca: Electronics

We are anxiously awaiting this item. We are stuck using a friggin JBL Bluetooth speaker and it sound like crap in the vehicle.

Reactions: AggieOE

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I am working on getting the stereo setup completely. I am trying to find out if it sees USB thumb drives as system storage. Or, can I set app storage to the USB drive. That way I can store all maps, media etc on thumb drive and keep the system storage for OS and Apps. I will give an update later today and see how it all works.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Update on the stereo, it does not see the music in the thumb drive the way I wanted it to. I have to figure that out. There was/is a terrible squeaking from the back of the pat. Turns out the bushings in my Moog rear uppers are worn already. I have warranty replacements here from RockAuto but I just have to wait for install by the garage. If these dont work, Delco has very similar ones that I will try. The noise is terrible, so hopefully this fixes them.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
The good ole Patriot bites us in the rear once again. This time in a 4wd/traction control/abs issue. No cruise, traction control or awd drive. The mechanic said it's a wheel bearing. I don't hear any noise from any of the wheels. Lets see what it actually is. I have been reading and it could be the bearing, abs sensor, tone ring or the rear end is shot. If it's the latter, The patriot will be traded in on a Subaru and go from there. Report back when I get it into the garage.

Flamewave

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakdale, CT
First Name
John
Last Name
Matusiak
Member #

Nine times out of ten it's the wheel speed sensor. Not an expensive fix.