The 2020 Jeep Gladiator is Ready to Rumble

• HTML tutorial

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Do I want one ... On short yes. We have been talking about it for a bit now. But if it is encroaching that kind of pricing then I will just search for a slightly used 2500 that I want and be at the same price. I know they are not really comparable vehicles but for me the 2500 worth the price. If the gladiator was going to be slightly less than my 1500 then it would make sense but I guess we can speculate and plan all we want but won't really know till pricing info is released.

Plasmajab

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Quinte West, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Howard
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3IRA
Well is totally true. They could really shock us and have a more stripped down variant up their sleeves.

Honestly in most adverts and promo material, they often show the fully loaded top of the line models.

But let's say they sell these things with a five speed and v6 gas, 4x4 for 30k, I think the the midsized truck market would have a hell of a competitor on their hands.

Even in fleet use. A solid 4x4 truck would definitely have a great place working in forestry or oil patch environments.

Heck. At 30k ish, I would be first in line.

brobin15

Rank V
Launch Member

Benefactor

California, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Robinson
Member #

I just wish they would release the diesel at the same time. I am in the market summer of next year for a new truck. My two choices are the Power wagon and the Gladiator. I know the Power wagon doesn't have a diesel option, but sure the hell can carry and haul quite a bit. I would really like the diesel Gladiator for when hauling anything. I do like that the Gladiator is a smaller truck, but also like the built in winch of the Power wagon.

Reactions: MazeVX

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I have to hand it to Jeep, they know how to make a vehicle that looks fun. There are a lot of things I like about the Gladiator and I think it would make a great overland rig, but it will probably be panned by many of the rock crawler guys for the overly long wheel base. That, however, can be an advantage in the stability department for less aggressive long-distance travel. It looks fantastic, and despite the shortcomings in the design, it will absolutely print money for Fiat Chrysler.

The big thing that will hold me back is reliability. I still have a bad taste in my mouth about Jeep from the last one I owned - hands down the least reliable vehicle I've ever had in my garage.

Reactions: Arailt

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

Here is the image so people can play

I've never sat in a Jeep wrangler before. I went to the dealer and decided for a test drive and decided that i am going to cancel my provisional order for the gladiator. If I want comfort like that I will buy a land rover Defender 90/110/130

Reactions: 9Mike2

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
That does look sexy. [emoji41] [emoji106]

Didn't Jeep do this before with the Scrambler? Always thought those look neat but the departure angle was way out there for a Jeep.

All to talk of price! I guess I'll be holding on to my Xterra for a while longer. Seems to me the hidden cost to Jeeps is in all the T-SHIRTS you have to buy to be part of the club.

Reactions: Arailt

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

There's nothing hidden about the cost of a Jeep. When I was looking for a 4wd I considered the JKU, FJ Cruiser, and Xterra. The JKU and Toyota were very similar in price, even on the used market. Some of that might have to do with local factors, being in Utah with snow and lots of off roading, but it was still hard to believe that at a time when Chrysler was in bankruptcy and there was talk of the company being broken up and the brands sold off, that Jeep would still command that high of a buy-in with fairly lousy reliability numbers.

Stepsride

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Palm Harbor FL
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Stepkoski
Member #

doesn't have the better axles, no lockers, smaller tires and soft top... no good...
Actually that is the way I would buy it. Get rid of the axles/driveshafts/wheels/tires/shocks/suspension/bumpers etc.... Replace with Ox Locked 1 tons - 3.5 suspension from Pick your brand - New Shocks etc, etc etc. Build it the way you want it

That is the way I would do it, did it, and would do it again...

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

That's the approach a lot of Jeep guys take, if you know the axles, diffs, shocks, springs, wheels, and tires are going in the bin anyway, get the Sport or X model and throw out the cheaper stuff.

Hummerrescue

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Toronto, ON, Canada
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Turner
Member #

And really it\'s hard to compare a Jeep with other vehicles on the market because it\'s really the only thing with straight axles, selectable lockers front and rear, electronic disconnected sway bar, Dana 44s and a 4-1 reduction gear in the transfer case from the factory. Sure you can do some building of other vehicles but you\'re going to void most of your warranty and isn\'t that most the point of buying a new vehicle?
So true. People should stop speculating. I have a 99tj that has never failed me. I think that a well maintained jeep wil go places few vehicles can.

Tim nash

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mantorville, MN, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Nash
Member #

They had a one day sale of special edition gladiators yesterday and it’s a rubicon with a couple other things like a dash wrap or something and it was 62k

Tim nash

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mantorville, MN, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Nash
Member #

That's the approach a lot of Jeep guys take, if you know the axles, diffs, shocks, springs, wheels, and tires are going in the bin anyway, get the Sport or X model and throw out the cheaper stuff.
True but it depends on if you have that stuff already or got the finances to do it but the rubicon for me was a good starting point,

Rolando

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Lovettsville, VA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Woldt
Member #

Wow, a lot of non-Jeep friends in this thread :-)

I had two Jeeps for 16 years now (a YJ in the 90s and -still have- a JK Unlimited since 2011) and both were/are super reliable. In the JKU i had to change the starter at 140k+ last year, and I am at 151k now - no other problems at all, just regular maintenance that you can do in your garage.

Now that the prices are out for the Gladiator, I think they are within reason/comparable to the competition, for example the Rubicon is about 1k-ish over the Tacoma TRD, and has more features, such as the removable top (and I don't want to start a flame war here, YMMV). Yes, a bit more but not too much.

I am looking forward to driving one later this quarter when they actually arrive on my dealer lot, and will look for a Sport S with the max tow package. That seems to be a good deal. I don't need a Rubicon here in VA (my JK is a Sport S as well and has served me well even without the Dana 44 and red stickers), and rather spend additional money for good tires, etc if needed.

I definitely recommend to drive it stock for quite some time to figure out what you actually "need" (want). The major changes to my JK came at about 35k on the clock after a cross-country trip with our teardrop trailer.
Don't buy into the marketing hype - Jeeps are very capable stock.

Reactions: 9Mike2

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

My friend has been waiting for this to come out and has been researching it, now that the price has come out hes leaning more towards the chevy bison since the price for that is much better.

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

Wow, I have have quite a few different vehicles, our Jeeps have been about the toughest and most reliable. The Nissan we had for only a year as the T case always pop out and other problems of poor fit and finish. The Toyota was pretty good, but was too small at the time. And the people complaining about the price of Jeeps are not looking at the prices of Ford ,Chevy, and the other as most to get one outfitted as well as the Jeep , your fooling your self. Wait till the first time buyers get through and the price will come down when they start sitting on the lots for a while. But till then I would never pay MSRP on any vehicle....and never the first year run of anything....

Reactions: Anak

obrianmcc

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Idaho
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McCrosky
Member #

I heard recently that the real test of reliability is cost of ownership between 100k - 200k miles. (any new vehicle should make the 100k mark) Unfortunately Jeep has a reputation of being one of the most capable, but hardly makes the conversation of mileage/reliability between those two marks. Nissan's and Toyotas are commingly found running strong between 200k -300k .... if a Jeep is found in this group how much $$$ has been spent to get it there?

Reactions: Saints&Sailors