• HTML tutorial

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
My '96 XJ is at 175K miles or so.

I regard it as a reliable vehicle.

In the time I have owned it (5 yrs or so) I have had a coil go out, an alternator die, a wire short out against the header and the clutch line spring a leak on account of heat from the header (both of those last two could be written off as caused by my modification with aftermarket parts). Having a coil and an alternator fail after 150K miles is not much of an indictment in my book. I would not hesitate to take it on a several thousand mile road trip, off-roading included. In fact, I have done so, and I fully expect to do so again. And again.

I think the biggest issue with vehicle reliability and age comes down to maintenance by the owner. I will also suggest that Jeeps, on account of their image as a "fun" vehicle, are far more likely to end up in the hands of someone who values fun over responsibility, and that most likely has a direct correlation with the reliability (or lack thereof) of their vehicles. Trying to build something that is idiot proof is futile. The next thing you know they will come out with a new and improved idiot.

Reactions: 9Mike2