Texas Big Bend National Park Event in Future?!?!

• HTML tutorial

Who Is Down To go?!?!

• Total voters

Sidetrekked Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Possum Kingdom Lake, Texas
First Name
David and Dayna
Last Name
Coston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5NXU GMRS:WROE726
Service Branch
USMC
Myself and a buddy or two are looking at BB in late Feb or March. I am open to doing/seeing whatever. My only requirement is Black Gap Road. Any thoughts from those who have been to the park at that time?
We went for ten days last March and it was great. Very few people there. The way I see it as long as it's not summer or those certain days when "everyone" goes to big bend (Thanksgiving being an example) it's a good time to be there.

KINGHAWV

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Texas
Member #

Myself and a buddy or two are looking at BB in late Feb or March. I am open to doing/seeing whatever. My only requirement is Black Gap Road. Any thoughts from those who have been to the park at that time?
Let’s hit Black Gap!

Rayford94

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Meridian, MS, USA
Member #

Looking to plan a Trip In Big Bend National Park Texas in the future , I marked an ((APPROX 20 MILE OFF-ROAD TRAIL )), we rally up Panther Junction Service Station and Fuel up! , Then travel 5 miles down to Glen Springs Rd where the Offroad trail will start , Down to Black Gap Rd then up Tally Rd and set up camp somewhere at Mariscal Mine ( Depending on the group size is where we will set up) Also gives a chance to look around the mine if we set up near it!

This is just a thought for now till i get ready for it (New to over landing) , but what i want to know is who is down to come hang out and hit the trails, Get to know each other! Looking forward for the future! Cant wait to hear your thoughts!View attachment 46163View attachment 46164
My work schedule is chaotic, but I usually work within just a few hours of the park. If nothing else, I might could come do Black Gap with y’all. (I’ll actually be doing black gap for my second time, as well as the western part of River Road, this Monday (2/18))

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Member #

Just did BBNP as well as BB Ranch State Park. Was in the area from Feb 20 - 27. All the developed campgrounds were full and many of the primitive road campsites were full. Spring break is starting and the rangers said they would get even busier thru the month of March.

As was stated earlier in the thread, the primitive sites can only be reserved once you're in the park at Panther Junction. I was worried I'd be turned away as I listened to the 3 people ahead of me get sent to the northern most sites. These folks walked up and just stated they wanted a site with nothing in particular specified. It seems I lucked out as I had printed out their Backcountry Planning Worksheet (https://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/upload/BC_worksheet.png) and had my first two choices for 6 days written down. This seemed to make the ranger try a little harder for me and with a little flexibility, I got 5 of the 6 sites I wanted. I actually came back after my third night and was able to swap a site on day 5. So I guess what I'm saying is, do the worksheet and be ready when you get there.

BB Ranch State Park is even more remote and very scenic as well. It's 27 miles of dirt just to get into the park HQ to get a campsite reservation. From there I'd estimate there are another 50-75 miles of trails with multiple campsites. They are all primitive with a shelter and fire ring only so you have to be self supporting. There are hot showers, restrooms and potable water at the HQ. Bring your own firewood as non is available at the park.

Plan and enjoy.......

Reactions: OkieGobi

Levidale

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Gardendale Texas
Member #

Just did BBNP as well as BB Ranch State Park. Was in the area from Feb 20 - 27. All the developed campgrounds were full and many of the primitive road campsites were full. Spring break is starting and the rangers said they would get even busier thru the month of March.

As was stated earlier in the thread, the primitive sites can only be reserved once you're in the park at Panther Junction. I was worried I'd be turned away as I listened to the 3 people ahead of me get sent to the northern most sites. These folks walked up and just stated they wanted a site with nothing in particular specified. It seems I lucked out as I had printed out their Backcountry Planning Worksheet (https://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/upload/BC_worksheet.png) and had my first two choices for 6 days written down. This seemed to make the ranger try a little harder for me and with a little flexibility, I got 5 of the 6 sites I wanted. I actually came back after my third night and was able to swap a site on day 5. So I guess what I'm saying is, do the worksheet and be ready when you get there.

BB Ranch State Park is even more remote and very scenic as well. It's 27 miles of dirt just to get into the park HQ to get a campsite reservation. From there I'd estimate there are another 50-75 miles of trails with multiple campsites. They are all primitive with a shelter and fire ring only so you have to be self supporting. There are hot showers, restrooms and potable water at the HQ. Bring your own firewood as non is available at the park.

Plan and enjoy.......
Yeah we tried the national park last Saturday. We got there at 8:00am all primitive camping was full. Went to the State park got it no problem.

Tres

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Canton, TX, USA
First Name
Tres
Last Name
Sisson
Member #

Plan and enjoy.......
I am glad to hear that BB is back open. I saw pics during the govt shutdown with the park trashed in the campsites. They closed it all I saw on their website. I'll be going this summer hopefully.

StoneyJeanz

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Little
Member #

I’m up for a trip, did lots of trails in Feb 17. Caught the OVER landing bug bad.
Me and the wife are planning a 2week trip to the Grande canyon and surrounding trials. I am sure fitting a quick BB Trip would not be vetoed in my house with enough notice.
Got a date yet

Reactions: Tres

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Member #

I am glad to hear that BB is back open. I saw pics during the govt shutdown with the park trashed in the campsites. They closed it all I saw on their website. I'll be going this summer hopefully.
If you go this summer you won't have any difficulty getting campsites as the temps are usually over 110 degrees.