louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
It's just the battery that makes it a complete nonsense development in my opinion.
how is a battery a problem in this day and age? the moon landing used small and apparently very lightweight batteries 50 yrs ago. those batteries ran everything in the capsule and had the power to run enough heating strips to warm the capsule in -250 degree temps at night and then ran compressors for a/c units fighting against +250 degree temps in the sunlight. those batteries ran the moon buggy all over the place without any charge stations. THOSE are the batteries we need now. even the mars rovers are cruising all over the surface of mars with one battery and one solar panel and has been doing it for over a decade with no problems or power degradation. nasa needs to give up their secret formula for batteries

tat.png

Reactions: MidOH

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Trains are AC for a reason.

I'll bet these things suck in snow.
My own experience says that batteries don't like the cold. OTOH, I have yet to hear anything about how drivers of EVs are finding themselves stuck in the snow, halfway home, because their batteries gave out. There should be plenty of experience with these things by now.

Or do these folks drive their hybrid on cold days?

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
No you didn’t. Pls stop it. You’re embarrassing yourself.
It's a pathetic flashlight. Battery, motor, that's all. A toy car.

Impressive to people from CA maybe.

AL.WVSN

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Al
Last Name
Mofo
Member #

It's a pathetic flashlight. Battery, motor, that's all. A toy car.

Impressive to people from CA maybe.
A flashlight doesn’t doesn’t have a cool touchscreen tho...

And yes, all vehicles are toys. Why buy a Ferrari if you can get a pinto.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
how is a battery a problem in this day and age? the moon landing used small and apparently very lightweight batteries 50 yrs ago. those batteries ran everything in the capsule and had the power to run enough heating strips to warm the capsule in -250 degree temps at night and then ran compressors for a/c units fighting against +250 degree temps in the sunlight. those batteries ran the moon buggy all over the place without any charge stations. THOSE are the batteries we need now. even the mars rovers are cruising all over the surface of mars with one battery and one solar panel and has been doing it for over a decade with no problems or power degradation. nasa needs to give up their secret formula for batteries

View attachment 129630

That might have been his point? There is no secret battery recipe. There is no environmentally friendly solution to millions of battery powered cars. Not to mention that the best batteries are prone to bursting into flames still.

Nasa doesn't care if it's batteries nuke wherever the rover lands. The Curiosity rover is powered by 10 pounds of plutonium 238. Not the BS flashlight batteries the Tesla uses. We'd have to build reactors specifically to produce 238 as a by product. There's only 30 pounds left in the world. In 1993 it sold at $45 000 per ounce. No idea what it would be now.

A major breakthrough in battery tech is needed.

AWD hybrids like the tso50 are closer to being plausible, but don't ask how much that super capacitor costs:

Fenders on the Tesla look like when a young jeep owner can't roll a fender and makes a new one out of cut square stock. Drinking the same bong water as Fab Fours, it would appear:

Last edited:

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
Still think Teslas offering is a complete joke. Bollinger would be my choice if I was into an EV offroad vehicle, which I will probably never have since they have out priced these things that are actually worse for the environment IMO.

HOME - BOLLINGER MOTORS

Cyberman

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

San Diego, CA
First Name
Stu
Last Name
Hoffman
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6ONZ
I wouldn't give TFL's reviews of Tesla vehicles much weight. They seem to go out of their way to show the worst things. True the Model X had towing as an afterthought . It's best used as a people mover and show car with those all too fancy doors. With that said though, I believe the Cybertruck will be reliable off road and have a good showing while towing most trailers except of course the 5th wheels etc. It won't be for everyone and it certainly won't replace a Jeep or Landcruiser. The ability to charge 13 miles/day should be very helpful while far from "civilization" allowing almost infinite range.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
The only option for electric off road. All others look like a 3 year old with a triangle designed them. Cybertruck. Rap star street rig, bolinger. Lego block hummer, rivian. Designed with actual thought.

RickR

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Antonio, Texas
First Name
Rick
Last Name
R
Member #

It is NOT good looking, but it has lots and lots of torque and payload ability, the range is great too.
The best thing is it is great for the environment. I know ALL the arguments on everything about how it burns fossil fuels to make the batteries and to create the energy.
But that is (for one truck) a one time thing, not a thing every time you put fuel in or start it up. And as far as the energy, well it depends on how it is created, I plan on retiring out in the country (at our land) and installing large windmills and solar panels so this I may live off the electric grid and since I have a well already I can achieve this for the most part. I do like the internet though. I have built my own DVR and have 6 tuners and mounting an antenna on my existing 40' windmill is no problem. So I am looking forward to retirement :grimacing:, and a truck like this will be great, I just hope it looks better when I am ready.

Last edited:

GordyP

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
First Name
Gordon
Last Name
Pomp
There is a hidden cost to the planet from using lithium ion batteries. The depletion of natural resources from mining is swept under the rug when talking about how EVs are going to save the world.

Reactions: MazeVX

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
It is NOT good looking, but it has lots and lots of torque and payload ability, the range is great too.
The best thing is it is great for the environment. I know ALL the arguments on everything about how it burns fossil fuels to make the batteries and to create the energy.
But that is (for one truck) a one time thing, not a thing every time you put fuel in or start it up. And as far as the energy, well it depends on how it is created, I plan on retiring out in the country (at our land) and installing large windmills and solar panels so this I may live off the electric grid and since I have a well already I can achieve this for the most part. I do like the internet though. I have built my own DVR and have 6 tuners and mounting an antenna on my existing 40' windmill is no problem. So I am looking forward to retirement :grimacing:, and a truck like this will be great, I just hope it looks better when I am ready.
See my post above. Better than tesla in every way.

OLgadgets

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area
First Name
Huey
Last Name
Lee
Member #

I didn't like it at first, but it has grown on me since last night. Especially the picture of it out in the woods with some of the mods.
Same here. Initially I did not like it either, but it definitely grew on me, and with Tesla's proactive and community cooperative approach to improvement, their innovation is unstoppable.