Tents

• HTML tutorial

MidwestOverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Indianapolis, IN
Member #

Pretty obvious conversation per the thread title.

• Whats your favorite tent?
  • Style of tent, brand of tent, etc?
  • How long have you used said tent?

I currently rotate between between two ground tents. For when my family is with me I use our Eureka! Copper Canyon 6 which is a large enough base to store everything we need inside the tent. My second tent is a Coleman Instant Popup tent that deploys in about 5secs and can be totally setup in less than 3 minutes.

Eureka! Copper Canyon 6 - we've been using this one for about six years now and it's been flawless and can be setup with two people in 7-10mins.
20160115_134738.jpg

Coleman Popup Tent - this might be an Amazon exclusive as it's not shown on Coleman's website. I've only used this on a few trips now, but so far it's been great. The only issues are that it doesn't have the greatest vent system in colder weather. I tend to sweat more with the rain gear on it.

20160430_150101.jpg

I'm a big fan of RTT (roof top tents) and will plan to purchase one in the future, but it'll be more of a "want" purchase. I've not been in any situations where I woulve benefited from a RTT versus our ground tents and setup time is a mute point once you learn and use your tents (depending on style of tent). We do however tend to travel more and more into bear country, so the Tundra will probably be kitted with an RTT sometime next year once I find a bed cap/rack design that I like.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luis Merlo

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

I own many tents. Ive been camping for many years and my collection has grown from the sublime to the ridicoulous.
Here is a list of what I have onhand now.

1. Moss Astraldome GT:

Eureka Assault Outfitter 4:

REI Hobitat :

Eureka Timberline Outfitter 4 SQ:

Eureka Alpine meadow 4:

And rounding out my inventory, 1 Timberline 4,
2 Alpine Meadow 2 man tents.

The Alpine Meadow Tents are like an upgraded Timberline 2-4. it utilizes a center pole to open center of the tent wider, for more interior space.

They have been out of production for many years and are very hard to find. Same as the Moss Astraldome GT.

Last edited:

hardtrailz

Rank V

Advocate II

Indiana
Current travel tent is a Kelty that is like 7x5 or something. Light and easy. Replaced a Jeep branded tent that failed on a snowy camping trip in the mountains. This lil guy has done well in many places. The full fly makes weather a non-issue and the small size is great for me.

For the family we have a bigass cheap tent like this. Sucks to set up and take down, but lots of room for kids and their ir mattresses.

Currently been looking into a cot tent. Would be able to use it on top of the trailer or on the ground. Not a fan of rooftop tents due to the level of offroading I try to incorporate in my overland travels, but they do seem pretty sweet for those that dont have to worry about trails removing them.

Also have about a half dozen old tents that occaionally get some farm or backyard action. The old military kinda triangle is a favorite.

O.Dfj

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Foothill Farms
Member #

I use a cabelas alaskan guide ground tent I've had for about 6 years. My favorite tent was an old north face tent my dad got in the late 80s. I used it until about 8 years ago when he moved from California to wyoming. I may go visit him and slip it in the back of the fj when hes not looking.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Overland Bound Talk mobile app

Reactions: MidwestOverlanders

MidwestOverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Indianapolis, IN
Member #

Arrrg! Still can't see any photos you post from your Google account using my phone, tablet, desktop or laptop; all on Safari.
Hopefully it's fixed for you. I guess i'll just start uploading to the site since it doesn't seem to play well with Google Photos. I was trying my best not to use this sites bandwidth though.

Reactions: Steve

MidwestOverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Indianapolis, IN
Member #

I have the Cabela's XWT (Extreme Weather Tent).
I'm very happy with it.
I've got a small 3 man tent for smaller excursions or as my guest house, lol.

Good to hear man! I've got some of the XWT clothing from Cabelas and have been extremely happy with them for winter camping. How's the tent to setup? Avg time for setup once used to it?

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

Good to hear man! I've got some of the XWT clothing from Cabelas and have been extremely happy with them for winter camping. How's the tent to setup? Avg time for setup once used to it?
I would say 20 minutes and it's good. Might still have some pegs to put in for the fly but it's up and mostly pegged down by then.

2 person job though. It can be done with 1 person but it's a bit simpler with 2... at least to get the big fly over the structure.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I've got an old Eureka Timberline Base Camp 4 man, and a Kelty (?) 2 man , both from the '90s.

Like this (Google Images)

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Hopefully it's fixed for you. I guess i'll just start uploading to the site since it doesn't seem to play well with Google Photos. I was trying my best not to use this sites bandwidth though.
Yep, that works. I don't understand why Google hosted photos don't work. Someone else had theirs hosted on Google, as well, and I couldn't see them. Privileges maybe? Me not looked into a Google account? Who knows...

Thanks you!

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I had a Kelty Trail Dome 6. Had really good luck with it. Gave it back to my parents when I bought a Kelty Trail Ridge 8. I'm looking into maybe getting a smaller tent for when it might just be me though.

Reactions: MidwestOverlanders

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
For basecamp we have OZ's Jet Tent 25X. When we are back packing, or on the move and
staying at a site for only one night, then we use our Sierra Design. We went through a couple of cheapo's over the years. tried the REI Kingdom 6 but it was just too small for a basecamp, especially in inclement weather. We can, and have lived in the OZ tent for a few days straight while waiting out the rain, and the OZtent is plenty large enough to use our MR Buddy tent heater in..
IMG_2878.jpg DSC03623.jpg

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

For basecamp we have OZ's Jet Tent 25X. When we are back packing, or on the move and
staying at a site for only one night, then we use our Sierra Design. We went through a couple of cheapo's over the years. tried the REI Kingdom 6 but it was just too small for a basecamp, especially in inclement weather. We can, and have lived in the OZ tent for a few days straight while waiting out the rain, and the OZtent is plenty large enough to use our MR Buddy tent heater in..
View attachment 4296 View attachment 4297
Be careful using a propane heat source. I've used a buddy heater as well.... but know the risks (if you already know them I'll state the few I know anyway for the benefit of others) ....
It can deplete the oxygen
CO... carbon monoxide poisoning

My Buddy Heater has a trip sensor and a low oxygen sensor. It shuts itself down on both occurrences.

I tested my buddy heater in my enclosed FJ without me in it. I let it run until it shut itself off due to low oxygen. It did not trip my CO detector that I placed in it.

Reactions: Steve and MOAK

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Be careful using a propane heat source. I've used a buddy heater as well.... but know the risks (if you already know them I'll state the few I know anyway for the benefit of others) ....
It can deplete the oxygen
CO... carbon monoxide poisoning

My Buddy Heater has a trip sensor and a low oxygen sensor. It shuts itself down on both occurrences.

I tested my buddy heater in my enclosed FJ without me in it. I let it run until it shut itself off due to low oxygen. It did not trip my CO detector that I placed in it.
Yup, they are nothing to mess with, always keep your tent well vetilated. You're not really using it as a "heater" like in your car or home, but when it is in the mid to low teens it's nice to be able to keep the inside of your tent above freezing..

Reactions: Winterpeg