Tents

• HTML tutorial

jbenner0708

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

I'm currently looking into buying a tent and I'm stuck between two different types of rtt or a ground tent. I see lots of ground tent suggestions on this post, which I am extremely grateful for but, Has anyone used the smitty built overlander tent or the tepui Ayer?

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

jbenner0708

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

I've heard very mixed reviews on it, a dealer I've used for other items called it "shittybuilt", but online some people have given it decent reviews... It meets my price point, I'm starting to think I should just go ground tent and save up for a better RTT.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
With shittybuilt it is hit or miss on quality. The company, as has many other companies, decided that strict quality control is more expensive than "after the purchase" customer service. It amazes me how so many people can be satisfied with sub-par gear. Until they actually go out into inclement weather, ie, heavy rain, high wind, etc and find out the hard way that they should have saved up a bit and purchased the good stuff.. I learned the hard way, years ago I thought Coleman must be a really good tent.. 2 trips to the Gaspe' and one trip to Moab taught me differently,,, nothing worse than cold and wet..

Reactions: RiverCityDave

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
It amazes me how so many people can be satisfied with sub-par gear. Until they actually go out into inclement weather, ie, heavy rain, high wind, etc and find out the hard way that they should have saved up a bit and purchased the good stuff.. nothing worse than cold and wet..
This is the thing, I read a lot of reviews and I see people give solid feedback on products I know to be sub par. I have a few things around that I know will only work in ideal conditions, and I'm ok with that. I always try to temper reviews with reality and when i review something, I try to include the conditions in which it was tested.

Reactions: hardtrailz

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
This is the thing, I read a lot of reviews and I see people give solid feedback on products I know to be sub par. I have a few things around that I know will only work in ideal conditions, and I'm ok with that. I always try to temper reviews with reality and when i review something, I try to include the conditions in which it was tested.
thank you mellow dave.. it is sometimes ridiculous spending big bennies on a product you may never utilize, and I too have stuff that is sub-par and I'm OK with that too.. but a tent? ranks really high on the top 5 most important pieces of gear..

jbenner0708

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

It's true, when it comes to the tent, it needs to meet expectations... The tepui looks decent and is also within my price point but it is a smaller tent, with it being a big purchase I want to make sure it's going to last and do its job. I live it New York and it's disappointing because no one carries these to allow us to see them before we buy one, it's all based on reviews and what others have to say.

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
I run the Oz Tent Rv-3 and we like it a lot. Reason for no roof top is we are in our fifty's and the ladder is just a pain. We have outfitted it with cots and carpet when needed. Good luck in your search.....

Contributor I

Fort Mill, SC
Member #

Currently utilizing a mix between an air mattress in the bed of the truck, and a ground tent (when the wife's along). Looking at the Big Foot RTT. Anyone have experience with this brand? Thanks!

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Sandpoint Steve

US NorthWest Region Local Expert
Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
I picked up a used Mombasa RTT. I'll have to let you know later how it is holds up. I can tell you that eureka makes great tents. I did 7 and a half weeks in a timberline and it is awesome. Easy setup and bomb proof. That being said the RTT is easier to get up and I can be in my bunk in about 10 minutes setting it up by myself. Bear country is not a real reason for a RTT. You keep bears out of your tent by NEVER taking food or snacks into your tent. I do however look forward to not setting up a tent on muddy ground or trying to find a smooth flat place to setup without that pesky root poking me in the back all night. The 2 1/2" mattress is super comfortable. It will also be nice to have the roaming skunk down there and not right outside the door. Cool factor is just a bonus.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Out of curiosity for their condition, I dug my tents out of the camping box. They haven't been out of their bags in close to 20 years. I just erected the frames and tents, not messing with pegging them down or putting on their flies.

Kelty Switch Back 4. You can see the obvious sign cues of the Eureka Timberline 4 base camp tents. Having a little wider spreader makes for more headroom, and it has better ventilation than a friend's Timberline.

Eureka Timberlite 2-man tent. My main solo and backpacking tent. Like a Timberline, but shorter overall and lower foot end. Plus lots of ventilation. I also have the vestibule, which was nice on rainy days.

Here's a photo from Google Images of the regular Timberline with the vestibule, so similar to that, but not as tall.

Last edited:

scubasteve2002

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Lap
Member #

Using this tent in July! Super excited. Had to put it up to fix a hole. Got it from REI at their garage sale for $58! Normally a $500 tent. It's their kingdom 6 tent. Has a nice divider so you can house 6 or 4 comfortably. Or do what my wife and I are about to do. Sleep the two of us and make the other half camp storage.

sfsmedic

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I rotate between a couple tents. I have a Kodiak Springbar tent and a CVT Mt. Shasta.

If we are setting up camp and staying put a few days I'll use the Kodiak, if we are on an overland type trip where we will move camps daily it's a for sure thing we are using the RTT. I am happy with both and like everything both have their pros and cons.

MizMoosie

Rank III

Advocate II

For something a little different and to extend your camping season into to winter, try a canvas tent with a portable wood stove. This tent is a http://www.snowtrekkertents.com/ with a Four Dog stove.

I have been very comfortable in -30F. Inside temperatures can get up to 80-90F with a load of good wood in the stove.

Overnight snow and before firing up the wood stove:

There is plenty of stand-up room, and room for chairs and cots in this 10X13 version. They come without floors so they can be set up on top of deep snow. I had a window and a screen door added for use in the summer. They are perfect to use in the high desert when daytime temps are high and the nights are chilly. On a cold and rainy Spring day, the wood stove will dry the tent from the inside out and dry your gear.

The canvas is very high quality and very light. I'm guessing the total weight (tent and poles) to be no more than 30lbs.

The best part is that you can extend your camping season into winter and have the whole place to yourself!