Rank 0

Contributor II

Miami Beach, FL, USA
First Name
Nomad
Last Name
Effect
Hey All,

I've been a massive observer of these forums for a while now and I feel the need to contribute some more.

Last year we built out a little 2005 Ford Escape with the works and took it on a few month trip across the USA. We even installed OME suspension.

We loved that experience so much it inspired us to buy the biggest most beautiful heap of junk you've ever seen which is this 1988 FJ62 LandCruiser:

Since we bought her our life has pretty much revolved around working to afford to get her ready to hit the road.

We hope that sharing the highs and lows of this little journey we're on inspires others to just go after what you want and do the same.

Life is waaaaay to short to drive a boring car.

Ben

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Anyone else dealing with 30+ years of rust and DIY'ing without the right tools?

You need to spray PB Blaster on all of your nuts and bolts the day before you start working on them. It really will make it much easier to take them off. Excellent video on what it really looks like when DIY'ing... Good luck with the rest of your suspension removal and installation. I wish that I lived near you to help out because an extra set of hands is always better.

NomadEffect

Rank 0

Contributor II

Miami Beach, FL, USA
First Name
Nomad
Last Name
Effect
You need to spray PB Blaster on all of your nuts and bolts the day before you start working on them. It really will make it much easier to take them off. Excellent video on what it really looks like when DIY'ing... Good luck with the rest of your suspension removal and installation. I wish that I lived near you to help out because an extra set of hands is always better.
We did actually spray everything, the spray just wouldn’t get in between the old bushings and she shackle bolts/pins. Someone commented on our YouTube saying that I should have used a Sawzall and I think if I did it again I’d probably rent one.
I’m one of those guys that are really bad at asking for help, clearly remnants of the Neanderthal still wandering around in my brain. But honestly even the offer or thought is fantastic so THANK YOU!!
We should have the install of the rear done by next Friday. Of course there were a few little hurdles I created by fixing other things so it took longer than it should but I guess that’s what I signed up for.
Ben

Reactions: k9sar

NomadEffect

Rank 0

Contributor II

Miami Beach, FL, USA
First Name
Nomad
Last Name
Effect
This may come as a shock but we got our rear springs in!
This video is long, I started out trying to explain why we chose the suspension we did and then I showed all the little hurdles that you encounter when you're putting springs in. I had no idea which way around the leaf springs went so hopefully this one can help anyone like us who's attempting this for the 1st time.
I hope everyone is well!!!
Ben

NomadEffect

Rank 0

Contributor II

Miami Beach, FL, USA
First Name
Nomad
Last Name
Effect
Front discs are in and super rusty from the Florida humidity.

Here's a little step by step video we put together. I hope it helps a fellow DIY driveway mechanic

NomadEffect

Rank 0

Contributor II

Miami Beach, FL, USA
First Name
Nomad
Last Name
Effect
I think there is a little bogan/redneck in everyone and I am not at all ashamed to say that the sound of a custom exhaust system is what really brings mine out.

Check how good this sounds!!

Reactions: Offroadnutz

NomadEffect

Rank 0

Contributor II

Miami Beach, FL, USA
First Name
Nomad
Last Name
Effect
Coming together nicely man...
What is your end goal for the build?
Thank you!!
We took a 2 and a half month cross country trip in our old Ford Escape in 2019 and we learnt what are our comfort levels are when it comes to this sort of travel. So if we wanted to do a longer trip or head into Canada or towards South America we had a pretty good idea of the basics we’d be happy living with(Which could be more than most).
So we’ve built the cruiser with that in mind. The battery setup I have in the cruiser is way better than what we used to have because we “cheat” and use an instant pot at camp most nights and I just ordered a heat exchanger shower setup because last time we really struggled with the cold showers and we’d prefer not to have to stay in hotels if we don’t need to.
This has all taken way longer to do than I expected, we’ve been fixing this car for 8 months now. 2020 has been a hard year to plan for.
But once done we’ll attempt the Trans America Trail depending on the snowy parts and then once we get to the west coast we’ll evaluate the global situation and decide which way we’d like to head.
Because I’m an Aussie I can’t really be crossing any borders until the world chills out because I may not be allowed back into the US.
I hope that’s is what you meant by the question?
Thanks again for the great feedback!

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

Pretty ambitious man. Hope progress continues to go well. There is a little different mindset needed when over landing older vehicles like ours. Im sure you know that already. Lol
I’ve done parts of the TAT. You won’t be disappointed. Just recently did the NMBDR and the ERT. Couple of great tracts.

Reactions: NomadEffect

NomadEffect

Rank 0

Contributor II

Miami Beach, FL, USA
First Name
Nomad
Last Name
Effect
Pretty ambitious man. Hope progress continues to go well. There is a little different mindset needed when over landing older vehicles like ours. Im sure you know that already. Lol
I’ve done parts of the TAT. You won’t be disappointed. Just recently did the NMBDR and the ERT. Couple of great tracts.
Yeah I guess technically this FJ62 is the newest proper offroader I’ve ever owned. I remember when I had the 1981 BJ42 in Australia and my boss had a 60 series and I thought the shape of his was way too modern for me.

So I’ve never really needed to change my mindset because I’ve never relied on anything fancy and new.

There’s a lot of people driving much newer cars in the US due to the leasing culture, salt on the roads and costly emissions testing. (I’m basing these factors on what I’ve been told) But in Australia I never had any qualms jumping in my 30-40 year old car and driving across/through some really harsh country miles from home by myself. And I had quite a few really old cars. Mini K, Datsun 180B, FB Holden etc.

I’d actually never heard of either of those other trails. I’ve just bookmarked them to do some research. The NMBDR looks really cool. I probably couldn’t attempt that one in winter. I think weather is going to get the better of me this year.

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

Sweet man! It make sense now that you mention it. I love the older vehicles due to the inherent simplicity. Parts availability can be challenging at times but when you know your vehicle you can usually work it out.

Here is my trip report on the trails I mentioned.

• Love
Reactions: NomadEffect

NomadEffect

Rank 0

Contributor II

Miami Beach, FL, USA
First Name
Nomad
Last Name
Effect
Sweet man! It make sense now that you mention it. I love the older vehicles due to the inherent simplicity. Parts availability can be challenging at times but when you know your vehicle you can usually work it out.

Here is my trip report on the trails I mentioned.

I forgot to reply to this. I checked your thread and we've been discussing trying one of your routes if we leave to late in the season this year. Very cool. Thank you for the suggestion.