Puyallup, WA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Sperl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7WOO
(sorry if there was brought up. could not find it)

Is there a way to run a switch-pro and connect it to rocker switches? I like the click click of the switches and would like to continue using the ones I have but have run to battery drain from having a CB, 2 kc apollo lights, and winch. Suggestions or ideas?

Oh I have a 18 JKU WIllys

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Patrick, This is something I have not thought of. I have seen a relay system that allows for an either / or situation where you can keep the maunal switches for a backup system in case the magic electron box fails (could be done without relays but that would invite potential for backfeed of power thru the system if both were on at same time.

I think you are looking for the ability to control your devices with manual switches for nostalgia, but have the added benifit of automatic shut off due to low battery voltage and other programable goodnes contained withing the Switch Pro? you could simply run the outputs from the Switch Pro to each of the manual switch inputs, then configure one of the Switch Pro buttons to act as a master switch (i.e not connected to anything, just allowing for one buton press to activate the rest of the circuits to energize the outputs to your analog toggle switches. now you can program each individual output for dimming, strobe, timed power off etc and they are on all the time, with on/off control via the rocker switches. All would turn off when you take out the key, or after a set time, and would reactivate when ignition turns back on. would also allow you to use triggers inputs from high beams or other items to control your driving lights with high beams etc.

Have two of the Switch Pros and love them for the most part (the app is kind of a pain for every day use, but works ok for programming.)

croakthedj

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Puyallup, WA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Sperl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7WOO
The rockers I currently have are part of a rugged ridge A-pillar panel. On that panel, I have only one set of lights connected normally. The CB and winch were both, until last week, connected directly to the battery itself. I guess i could use the switch pro a pillar mount... And go full mall crawler and add all the lights. When it comes to electrical I am an idiot. So all this is out there for me.

Thank you for the insight.

OTH Overland

Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I spent many years driving big rig, and love the tactile feel of a good rocker switch far better than pushing a glorified microwave button...lol, however went with the Swtich Pro for several reasons, the primary reason was that it can control pretty much everythign with one tap directly off the battery and has built in thermal/overlaod protection, by removing one wire from the battery I can place the Jeep back to stock configuaration to get me home and I can problem solve the wiring issue later. Secondary is the ability to have basic programming of functions for lights/radios etc. switches can be set to momentary, to come on with the key, able to turn off with ignitiion off etc. I find myself using the dimming function often, use my rock lights set to 20 percent brightness for camping to light around the rig without blinding, and when I am an idiot and leave something like my compressor or radios turned on, they will shut down after a set time and or when the battery voltage drops. Also reduces the amount of wires comming into the rig thru the firewall (well in theory anyway). I did go with the A pillar mount with the JK as it seemed to be the only location that did not already have somethign moutned to, and so I could tuck my mall parking pass into it..lol If you decide to go with a switch system and have any other questions would be happy to help out.

croakthedj

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Puyallup, WA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Sperl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7WOO
That is why I was looking into it. Just have to find someone to wire it. I am no electrical wizard. I was just hoping to keep the rockers.

OTH Overland

Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
If you decide to go for it, and want to learn how and get a bit of help, I am always open to folks who want to do a bit DIY coming up and using tools and such for projects. I have a lot of electrical and rig building experience and the needed tools, but definatly not a full service shop that will do it for you. Mostly its just removing enough stuff of the Jeep to route the wires where they need to go and making some good connections. With a JK the switch pro installs really nice by the battery (if you dont have a dual battery setup) right on the firewall, and the a pillar mount is the best place to mount the controller. not sure if they have an above windshield mount for it or not. The JL has more options.

Reactions: Ubiety

croakthedj

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Puyallup, WA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Sperl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7WOO
Wow. Thank you. Will probably take you up on that. I got the install stuff down. Just wiring. That's where I fall short. In 10th grade caught my dash on fire while doing a stereo install. Been iffy since. .

Now I just need the money.

Reactions: OTH Overland