Swayze Express - Colorado ZR2 Duramax

• HTML tutorial

PabstBlueSwayze

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Glendale, CA 91202
Member #

Pulled the trigger on a Colorado ZR2 Duramax and have to say Im quite stoked to get this truck out in the hills.

Dont have much planned additions at this time besides getting radio/comms, bed rack + rooftop tent, and hopefully a front bumper + winch. Definitely gonna take some inspiration from Project RadRunner thats for sure (click here for link)

If anyone is aware of any companies in So Cal fabricating bumpers or parts for the ZR2 please let me know! :grimacing:

Finally some quick and easy pictures:

PabstBlueSwayze

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Glendale, CA 91202
Member #

Made it out to Pozo Summit past Santa Margarita Lake this past weekend on an impromptu trip after stocking up on some new gear and finally got to break in my ZR2 with a jimmy rigged CB radio along with my buddy and his Jeep.

Wasn't anything insanely difficult (other than sheer rock stair step that made us turn around) but still was fun to get to test the baby Duramax on dirt. Even got the campground all to ourselves along with some stops at Gus's and Firestone in SLO so not too shabby!

Items acquired so far:
  • ARB EZ Deflator
  • Viair 300p Compressor
  • Factor 55 Hitchlink
  • Tram NMO antenna
  • Tram UHF magnet mount
  • Uniden 40 channel CB radio
  • Crosby shackles
  • ARB 30' snatch strap
  • JACO Elite tire pressure gauge

Thought the magnet mount + Tram antenna + cigarette lighter powered CB radio worked fairly well, still had some trouble reaching my buddy in his Jeep if he got out of sight or over a hill. I could hear him loud and clear but he couldnt hear me when I tried to contact him.

With that said, next planned upgrade is definitely a Firestik antenna paired with Breedlove stake pocket bracket - if anyone has any other suggestions on mounting antenna Id be glad to hear ideas!

Next trip is probably gonna be a weekend in Mojave late next month.

Last edited:

PabstBlueSwayze

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Glendale, CA 91202
Member #

Been awhile since Ive posted but over the last couple months Ive been able to break in the ZR2 on a few more trails around SoCal

First up was a trip to Coyote Canyon in Anza Borrego for some simple wheeling, camping, and plancha cooking:

IMG_9478.jpg
IMG_9489.jpg
IMG_9503.jpg

Reactions: Old Griz

PabstBlueSwayze

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Glendale, CA 91202
Member #

Next trip was up to Big Bear to test out the ZR2 on Gold Mountain Trail - https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/california/gold-mountain-trail

Paired off with two of my buddies in their Jeeps and decided to see how far the ZR2 would make it

IMG_9889.jpg
IMG_9879.jpg
IMG_9881.jpg
IMG_9885_edit.jpg
IMG_9873.jpg

Overall, the ZR2 made it the full trail (with the exclusion of taking 1 cheater trail around the first major obstacle seen in the 2nd photo) and certainly turned a couple of peoples head which was fun to see.

Completing the trail even earned the ZR2 a thumbs up from my Ford-loving buddy and it was great feeling being able to keep up with Jeeps riding on 35s and 33s respectively.

Next big upgrades this month (hopefully) will be permanently mounting the CB radio somewhere in the cab and getting a Firestik antenna setup in the truck bed. May also get some ditch lights setup as well with some hood mounts.

All in all, cant be more pleased with the baby Duramax ZR2 - even got an average of 33 MPGs rolling down from Big Bear to LA so that aint too shabby!

Attachments

Old Griz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Idaho
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Clisham
Member #

How the ZR2 didn't get truck of the year is beyond me. I bought a 96 s10 ZR2 used in 97 with 8k miles on it. They were really impressive in there day, but this new one is awesome! My s10 had 322,000 miles when I traded it in in 2007.