SW Idaho Overlanding

• HTML tutorial

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
We were in City of Rocks in August to climb. It's such a cool spot and the rock climbing available there is world-class. There is also a nice commercial hotspring available as well in nearby Almo.
I just got back from there last weekend for another trip. Much colder now and snow. Hope to make a trip sometime when I can get a hike in.

Reactions: reaver

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Oregon Geology Tour Day 1

SW Idaho joins another adventure. Meeting up with trip planner and other adventurers we head into central Oregon to spend the next 5 days exploring. Ride along with us on this Oregon Geology Tour. This episode includes Glass Buttes, Christmas Valley Sand Dunes and Lost Forest.

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Oregon Geology Tour Day 2

SW Idaho joins another adventure. Meeting up with trip planner and other adventurers we head into central Oregon to spend the next 5 days exploring. Ride along with us on this Oregon Geology Tour. This episode includes Christmas Valley, Crack In The Ground, Green Mountain Campground/Lookout, Derricks Cave and Oregon's Largest Juniper Tree.

Reactions: Desert Runner

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Oregon Geology Tour Day 3

SW Idaho joins another adventure. Meeting up with trip planner and other adventurers we head into central Oregon to spend the next 5 days exploring. Ride along with us on this Oregon Geology Tour. This episode includes Fort Rock, Hole In The Ground, Big Hole and getting lost in the forest.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I watched this last video, Im going to have to download the rest later today to watch tonight. I love the views. I heard you say that the fallowing day your group was heading to the John Day fossile beds. I am hoping you post this part of your trip as well. I went to the fossil beds as an early teen along with the lava beds, but was too young to get the full meaning of the trip. I have always planned on doing the trip again as an adult, just havent found the time to make it yet.

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
I watched this last video, Im going to have to download the rest later today to watch tonight. I love the views. I heard you say that the fallowing day your group was heading to the John Day fossile beds. I am hoping you post this part of your trip as well. I went to the fossil beds as an early teen along with the lava beds, but was too young to get the full meaning of the trip. I have always planned on doing the trip again as an adult, just havent found the time to make it yet.
Thanks for watching. Glad you enjoyed at least one of my videos.

Actually John Day Fossil Beds is two days out. Yes I was planning on including it in a video. We did not have time to drive or hike the area, but we did stop at the fossil center they had there. It is pretty cool and I got a lot of video of it. Also, the James Cant Ranch which is just down the road a bit.

Stay tuned for more videos. George.

Reactions: Desert Runner

RadioRick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Iverson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7NB
Service Branch
Army
George,

Thinking of doing another trip through the Painted Hills, through the Fossil beds, up through Spray to the Tamarack lookout site then through the Hardman Ghost town and cross country to the Columbia River Gorge somewhere around The Dalles. I'll let you know if it firms up.

Oh, and no Jeep now. Went a different direction.

20191018_111800.jpg

Miss the JK but love the extra space!

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
George,

Thinking of doing another trip through the Painted Hills, through the Fossil beds, up through Spray to the Tamarack lookout site then through the Hardman Ghost town and cross country to the Columbia River Gorge somewhere around The Dalles. I'll let you know if it firms up.

Oh, and no Jeep now. Went a different direction.

View attachment 128711

Miss the JK but love the extra space!
Needed more room? Sounds like fun. Keep me posted. Next year is already filling up quickly. George.

RadioRick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Iverson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7NB
Service Branch
Army
Needed more room? Sounds like fun. Keep me posted. Next year is already filling up quickly. George.
Yeah,the 14 day mid-summer trip turned out to be quite cramped in a 2 door. Keep us in the loop on your schedule as well. Other than NWOR no firm commitments yet. D have a group that wants to go from NWOR to Canada up the WABCDR and to Banff/Jasper area afterwards so stay tuned.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Two friends got new Colorado’s. One got a Bison. Impressive rigs. Keep me in mind for your travels.
And another one went a completely different direction...

George is already aware, but I've decided to retire my 04 colorado from expo duty. I still have it as a daily (gets better mpg than it's replacement), but expo duty, has been replaced with this....

20191024_181434.jpg

Build starts after the new year. A friend and I will be installing a lift, building a swing out rear bumper, roof basket, and sliders.

I've already had it on some fairly technical stuff, and I was super impressed. Should give me less issues than I had with the colorado. Better aftermarket support as well.

Those trips sound like a blast. I'd love to possibly tag along if I have the pto, and you guys are willing.

Last edited:

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Oregon Geology Tour Day 4

SW Idaho joins another adventure. Meeting up with trip planner and other adventurers we head into central Oregon to spend the next 5 days exploring. Ride along with us on this Oregon Geology Tour. This episode includes Arnold Cave, Prineville Oregon, and Painted Hills.

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Mordor v5.0 Back to Mordor. June 5-9 2020

Mordor for next year has been has been announced. This is not my trip, but a trip I plan on attending. All are welcome to tag along on this trip as well though. Mark your calendars now.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Mordor v5.0 Back to Mordor. June 5-9 2020

Mordor for next year has been has been announced. This is not my trip, but a trip I plan on attending. All are welcome to tag along on this trip as well though. Mark your calendars now.
Are you putting this in the Rally Point? I understand this isn’t your trip this year. How many people (rigs) are you guys including in this years trip?

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Are you putting this in the Rally Point? I understand this isn’t your trip this year. How many people (rigs) are you guys including in this years trip?
No I don't put anything into the Rally Point. The gentleman that puts these on just posts on a trailer forum. I post them up here and a couple other forums. I think the most vehicles we have had show up in the years I have attended is 6 or 7. I don't think he cares how many show up though. More info here if interested Teardrops n Tiny Travel Trailers • View topic - Mordor v5.0 Back to Mordor. June 5-9 2020 . I do updates as we get closer to the dates.