SW Idaho Overlanding

• HTML tutorial

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Ok so I don't know who Matt is or which platform he came from (Facebook, Overland Bound, Expedition Portal?), but I would like to thank him for taking lead on this trip and saving the day for the rest of the group.

A big thanks to you too Shea for suggesting to send over the files. I would have never thought to do that let alone realized that I even could. Quite shocking to me to find that I could send the files over by text message.

I was more disappointed in letting you guys down when the Jeep broke down than about the Jeep being broke down. I had a sinking feeling once I sent out the call that I was going to have to cancel the trip and disappoint all of you. It makes me so happy that you guys were able to rally and have a great trip after all. I salute you!

I look forward to many more trips in the future with such great people. George.

Reactions: Reichling

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Land of Mordor V4.0 May 9-10

Parent thread here: Teardrops n Tiny Travel Trailers • View topic - Mordor v4.0 MAY 10th Golden Spike National Monument, Utah. read entire thread to get all the info as of now. I asked that it be updated for better clarity, but not sure when/if it will be updated.

What we will be doing.

The Transcontinental Railroad Backcountry Byway follows 90 miles of the Central Pacific Railroad Grade. There are no services available along the route; be prepared with at least one spare tire, extra water, and gas if needed. There are opportunities to leave the railroad grade and return to Highway 30. If you are planning to drive the entire, be prepared to spend 3-4 hours in remote mountain conditions. A low clearance passenger vehicle can easily drive from Promotory Point to Kelton, but there may be obstacles if you continue further like small ditches, wash-outs, and large pot holes; be prepared to turn around if you get stuck. While the route is narrow, two way traffic is permitted - pull over and pass in a safe location.

Map:

See you on the trails, George.

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
This is a second attempt for me to do this trip. Previous attempt I had some mechanical issues and was not able to attend. So if you want to do it again or if you missed out on the fun in March you are welcome to come out with us (again). The actual destination was not reached on the last attempt and a leg was left out. Destination and left out leg will be attempted this trip.

Gorge-us!:
Apr 27, 2019
Time: 7:00am
Meet Place: Jackson's Food Store, 128 5th St, Wilder, ID 83676
Destination: Owyhee High Desert
Estimated Duration: Day Trip
Estimated Distance: 140 miles (Jackson's to Jackson's)
Comms Channels: HAM=146.480, GRMS=17, CB=13
Zello Channel (phone app): SW Idaho Overlanding and 4x4

SW Idaho is heading back into Oregon to check out a gorge. Again new territory for me. Roads at this time of year can be frozen, dry, muddy or impassible. There will be two track and possible stream crossings again on this trip. Also, narrow two tracks can mean free pin stripes on sections of this trip. It is spring so I am hoping for some early May flowers to be out in bloom.

Hiking is also planned on this trip. Should be no more than 3 miles round trip, but could be a lot shorter depending on how far we can drive in. You don't have to partake in the hiking, just giving a heads up that there will be down time if you don't partake.

This is not a guided tour and all who attend are ultimately responsible for their own safety. I am not responsible for damage, injury and or death. You partake under your own free will knowing the dangers of such activities.

See you on the Trails, George.

Gorge-us! 1 s.png

Last edited:

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
This trip is only 1 week away. Hills around here are greening up so I bet we will see a green desert and maybe some flowers...

This is a second attempt for me to do this trip. Previous attempt I had some mechanical issues and was not able to attend. So if you want to do it again or if you missed out on the fun in March you are welcome to come out with us (again). The actual destination was not reached on the last attempt and a leg was left out. Destination and left out leg will be attempted this trip.

Gorge-us!:
Apr 27, 2019
Time: 7:00am
Meet Place: Jackson's Food Store, 128 5th St, Wilder, ID 83676
Destination: Owyhee High Desert
Estimated Duration: Day Trip
Estimated Distance: 140 miles (Jackson's to Jackson's)
Comms Channels: HAM=146.480, GRMS=17, CB=13
Zello Channel (phone app): SW Idaho Overlanding and 4x4

SW Idaho is heading back into Oregon to check out a gorge. Again new territory for me. Roads at this time of year can be frozen, dry, muddy or impassible. There will be two track and possible stream crossings again on this trip. Also, narrow two tracks can mean free pin stripes on sections of this trip. It is spring so I am hoping for some early May flowers to be out in bloom.

Hiking is also planned on this trip. Should be no more than 3 miles round trip, but could be a lot shorter depending on how far we can drive in. You don't have to partake in the hiking, just giving a heads up that there will be down time if you don't partake.

This is not a guided tour and all who attend are ultimately responsible for their own safety. I am not responsible for damage, injury and or death. You partake under your own free will knowing the dangers of such activities.

See you on the Trails, George.

Gorge-us! 1 s.png

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
My next two trips I am attending trips put on by other people.

The first trip is May 9-12. This one is in Northern Utah and we will be driving the Transcontinental Railroad Backcountry Byway. It follows 90 miles of the Central Pacific Railroad Grade. All are welcome to attend.

From the parent thread http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=71129 :
Update April 7th. We are starting May 9th in Snowville Utah meet there 2pm at the Sinclar station. Been a number of changes. Be ready for a trail that is generally smooth but some deep dips into washes. We have at least one vehicle ticket to the May 10th anniversary celebration at Golden Spike and one for the 11th. We will figure it out. First night I am planning to camp about Locomotive spring south of Snowville.

The second trip is May 23-27 (memorial weekend). This trip we will be visiting Geology oddities in Central Oregon. There are still a number of slots available if you wish to attend.

There is more info on the parent thread here https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/exploring-oregon-geology-tour.203323/ .

Once I get back from these trips I will evaluate where I am at with trips for the summer. Nothing really planned as of right now except a trip into Northern Nevada sometime is September. More info on that after my return.

See you on the trails. George.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
How was the "Gorge-us" trip?

I really wanted to go, but it was my first weekend home and getting some things done with family took priority.

Reactions: GHCOE

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
How was the "Gorge-us" trip?

I really wanted to go, but it was my first weekend home and getting some things done with family took priority.
I was a good trip. The desert was nice a green and plenty of flowers blooming everywhere. Roads were interesting as well. Only got two vehicles stuck this time.... Me and one other.

Hope you can make the next one. Not sure when that will be right now though. George.
3.png4.png5.png6.png7.png

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
I just realized that I have not been posting up videos very well here. You can catch up on my channel. I will try to keep up from this point. See you on the trails, George.

Gorge-us! Part 1 is up.

SW Idaho Overlanding's second attempt at reaching a gorge in SE Oregon. With a mechanical failure the first time will they make it this time? Ride along and see as they find interesting roads on their way to their destination.

Reactions: reaver