Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Gorge-us!:
Mar16, 2019
Time: 7:00am
Meet Place: Jackson's Food Store, 128 5th St, Wilder, ID 83676
Destination: Owyhee High Desert
Estimated Duration: Day Trip
Estimated Distance: 140 miles (Jackson's to Jackson's)
Comms Channels: HAM=146.480, GRMS=17, CB=13
Zello Channel (phone app): SW Idaho Overlanding and 4x4

SW Idaho is heading back into Oregon to check out a gorge. Again new territory for me. Some of these roads will be explored on the "Watson The Back Way" trip coming up Feb 23. I will be pushing farther West on this trip though. Roads at this time of year can be frozen, dry, muddy or impassible. There will be two track and possible stream crossings again on this trip. Also, narrow two tracks can mean free pin stripes on sections of this trip.

Hiking is also planned on this trip. Should be no more than 3 miles round trip, but could be a lot shorter depending on how far we can drive in. You don't have to partake in the hiking, just giving a heads up that there will be down time if you don't partake.

This is not a guided tour and all who attend are ultimately responsible for their own safety. I am not responsible for damage, injury and or death. You partake under your own free will knowing the dangers of such activities.

See you on the Trails, George.

Last edited:

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
I have a Zello channel that I am going to try out for comms while we are in service. I think it could work good in the morning to help stage up. It would put everyone in contact with each other with there phones. There is no range issues as long as you have service. Anyone with a phone can download the app and it turns your phone into a push to talk device. Once you are connected to the channel you can talk to everyone on the channel. A short video showing how it works.

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
I have been monitoring the weather for this trip. This week looks promising for not too much rain/snow. So all should be a go.

Recent rain/snow could make for some road erosion in areas so make sure you bring a shovel in case some road improvement is needed. Biggest issue may be stream crossings that will need banks leveled out.

I was thinking this might be a snow wheeling event, but as of now there is less snow than when I posted the trip. Looking like it may be pretty cold too, so bring warm cloths also! George.

Watson! The Back Way:
Feb 23, 2019
Estimated Distance: 145 miles (Jackson's to Jackson's)

Heading back out into the Owyhee High Desert for a winter time adventure Feb 23. On this trip I will be traveling a lot of new territory for me. I do not know much about the area or what to expect. Roads look to be fair to good with stream crossings. Depending on weather conditions streams could have water flow. Also, roads this time of year can be frozen, dry, muddy or impassible. Hey, that is part of the adventure, not knowing what to expect. If conditions are extreme I will stop and call it a day! It's elementary!

This is not a guided tour and all who attend are ultimately responsible for their own safety. I am not responsible for damage, injury and or death. You partake under your own free will knowing the dangers of such activities.

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
As mentioned I have a Zello Channel. I am hoping that Zello will make it convenient to communicate with each other as we gather to the meeting place for trips. Again Zello allows your phone to work as a push to talk, just like a CB or HAM. It will only work if you are in service area for your cell phone provider so it will not work in remote areas.

I would like to do a test with those who would like to use this tool on their phone. I am going to be monitoring my channel, "SW Idaho Overlanding and 4x4" between 9am-10am tomorrow, Saturday 16. Lets give it a try and work out the bugs before we put it into the field. So I will talk to you tomorrow if all goes well, George.

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Reaver and I were able to communicate just fine. If anyone else tried and did not have success make sure you are subscribed to the "SW Idaho Overlanding and 4x4" Channel". Another video that explains how Zello works and how to find channels.

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
This trip is still a go! Checked snow levels for the area. Looks like 2"-4" with possible spotty areas up to 8". This would not include snow drift depths, if any.

Still some snow expected tonight into tomorrow morning. Snow is expected Saturday morning, as well, turning into rain later. 50% chance of precept, but seems to be mostly expected in the a.m.

Plan is to still attempt the destination. We will keep close tabs on road conditions. If roads get too bad we will call it a day. With this much snow and rain there may be running water across the roads. Should make for a interesting day.

Watson! The Back Way:
Feb 23, 2019
Estimated Distance: 145 miles (Jackson's to Jackson's)

Heading back out into the Owyhee High Desert for a winter time adventure Feb 23. On this trip I will be traveling a lot of new territory for me. I do not know much about the area or what to expect. Roads look to be fair to good with stream crossings. Depending on weather conditions streams could have water flow. Also, roads this time of year can be frozen, dry, muddy or impassible. Hey, that is part of the adventure, not knowing what to expect. If conditions are extreme I will stop and call it a day! It's elementary!

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Considerable cloudiness. Occasional rain showers in the afternoon. High 41F. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

Snow levels show trace to 2" for most of this trip. Levels can reach up to 8" or more in limited areas and or drifts.

Intent is to monitor conditions closely as we go. If it seems that conditions are going south we will call it a day.

I will be monitoring the "SW Idaho Overlanding and 4x4" Zello channel from 4:00am till we depart for the trip 7:15-7:30 am. See you in the morning.

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
This trip is one week out!

Gorge-us!:
Mar16, 2019

SW Idaho is heading back into Oregon to check out a gorge. Again new territory for me. Some of these roads will be explored on the "Watson The Back Way" trip coming up Feb 23. I will be pushing farther West on this trip though. Roads at this time of year can be frozen, dry, muddy or impassible. There will be two track and possible stream crossings again on this trip. Also, narrow two tracks can mean free pin stripes on sections of this trip.

Hiking is also planned on this trip. Should be no more than 3 miles round trip, but could be a lot shorter depending on how far we can drive in. You don't have to partake in the hiking, just giving a heads up that there will be down time if you don't partake.

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

GHCOE,
Dang, We are going the opposite direction, down into the Thousand Springs, Hagerman-Buhl area. Great Pocket water on the Malad, maybe an early hatch off Billingslee Creek.
Gibbs

Reactions: GHCOE

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
That's what - WE - keep sayin... how about an Owyhee BC loop, in the fall? Or a trip into Jarbridge, OR - for a night or two, then run to Prairie?
Gibbs
I have a 4-5 day trip planned into Nevada probably in early to mid September. The plan is to drive south through Jarbidge. I am assuming you meant Jarbidge NV.

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Weather is looking good for this outing tomorrow. Temps reaching 59* and sunny!

I will be monitoring the Zello Channel in the morning till we depart for the adventure.

See you guys in the morning. George.

Gorge-us!:
Mar16, 2019

View attachment 88844
[/QUOTE]

Mc93

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Boise ID
Member #

Weather is looking good for this outing tomorrow. Temps reaching 59* and sunny!

I will be monitoring the Zello Channel in the morning till we depart for the adventure.

See you guys in the morning. George.

Gorge-us!:
Mar16, 2019

View attachment 88844
[/QUOTE]

George,

Thank you for setting this up even though mechanical issues kept you out of the race and providing us your route.

I was among the group that went and we had a great time!

Reactions: Reichling and GHCOE

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho

George,

Thank you for setting this up even though mechanical issues kept you out of the race and providing us your route.

I was among the group that went and we had a great time!
[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

Sounds like I missed a good one too. I am just glad you guys were able to rally and continue on without me so it was not a complete failure. I was happy to find that I was able to send everything by text message to get you guys the information. Sounds like it worked out great!

For those who don't know, the Jeep broke a rocker arm on the way to the rendezvous point. I was able to limp it home and am in the process of evaluating my next step. I have found some suspicious assembly issues (not by me) so I am trying to work all that out now.

20190316_125857 s.jpg