Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Land Of Mordor V3.1
September 13-16, 2018
Time: 7:00am
Meet Place: Travel America 4115 S Broadway Ave, Boise, ID 83705
Destination: South Central Idaho Desert
Estimated Duration: 4 days
Estimated Distance: 240 miles Boise to Base Camp. There will be other trips out form camp.

You have seen the videos from last year.
Day 1 https://youtu.be/mEUz-KiBS-E
Day 2 https://youtu.be/_ZMlC12f7hU
Day 3 https://youtu.be/27o2bx4QiYU
Day 4 https://youtu.be/C1y8YPQqr4M
Now you can join in on the fun.

I will be joining a group of guys from the Tiny Trailer and Teardrop forum for another adventure into the desert of South Central Idaho. Parent thread http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=68730. All are welcome to come along and join in on the event.

This year we will create a base camp and venture out to see the sights each day. Sights include lava fields, caves, two track roads, sand dunes, The Great Rift and snakes!

This is not a guided tour and all who attend are ultimately responsible for their own safety. I am not responsible for damage, injury and or death. You partake under your own free will knowing the dangers of such activities.

See you on the Trails, George.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Awesome pictures! Great trips

Reactions: GHCOE

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Have you Steen it! Oct 4-7, 2018

SW Idaho Overlanding is making a trip to the Alvord/Steens area in South Central Oregon Oct 4-7, 2018.

Day 1 Thursday 4th: Since everyone will be driving in Thursday I am thinking a short trip to look at Borax Hot Springs and then the Alvord Fort site (as best as I can tell). Then over to the Alvord Desert to spend the first night. Alvord Hot Springs is in the area if anyone is interested in a soak in the evening. I believe it is a pay area now.

Day 2 Friday 5th: A full day of travel to check out a few sites in the area. Mickey Hot Springs. Interesting, but again too hot to get in. Alberson Station (ruins), Tudor Barn (ruins), Folly Farm (ruins), and Malheur Cave. Then over to the Narrows for another fuel stop and lunch, if we make it in time. After fueling up the plan is to head south to Diamond Craters, Pete French Round Barn, Diamond (town) and then to Frenchglen area for Saturday night. There are two campgrounds in the area. Steens Mountain Wilderness Resort and Page Spring Campground. The resort is a pay site, I am not sure about the campground.

Day 3 Saturday 6th: Travel the Steens Mountain Loop and head back towards Fields. There are a couple of sites I would like to hit if time permits on the way. I am now planning to spend the night at Bog Hot Springs, east of Denio Junction. It is about 38 miles from Fields by road.

Day 4 Sunday 7th: Say our goodbyes and head home.

Notes:
-Day two is a pretty ambitious day. If I feel we are running out of time I will delete the Craters, barn, Diamond loop to get us back on track.
-Total mileage of the loop from Fields to Fields is 345 miles. -From Fields to the Narrows is 160 miles
-From the Narrows to Fields is 186 miles
-From Fields to Bog Hot Spring is 38 miles
-Plan fuel around these numbers.
-The Narrows and Fields are the only two dependable stations to fuel up in the area.
-Frenchglen is said to have fuel from time to time, but is iffy.
-Denio Junction is said to have fuel now. Not confirmed.
-The Fields-Denio Road is know to be hard on tires. Street tires are not recommended on this road.
-The Fields-Denio Road, Diamond Crater Road and the Steens Mountain Loop Road are the only portions of the trip that will have long durations of travel on dirt.
-There are a few side trips that will be short sections of dirt.
-Gas is getting expensive and it will probably be even more expensive at the Narrows and Fields.

Ok. Hope this is informative enough to help you out with your planning. This is not set in concrete so if anyone has ideas or questions feel free to ask.

This is not a guided tour and all who attend are ultimately responsible for their own safety. I am not responsible for damage, injury and or death. You partake under your own free will knowing the dangers of such activities.

See you on the trails George.

Reactions: flyingnome

Tim Gregory

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Kent, WA, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Gregory
Member #

Part 1 of Big Foot! (To Be Determined) is up. Enjoy

I can't say how glad I am to find I'm not the only one wanting to use my full size Jeep for its original purpose! I bought it four years ago specifically for overlanding with my family. I'd have been out there sooner, but other things took (financial) priority, and after the main engine/tranny remachine and rebuilds (I've got the 401 and wanted to keep it) I was out of build money. I've been setting my pennies aside, so some tires should be coming soon and that will be enough to get me off the beaten path.

--Tim

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
I can't say how glad I am to find I'm not the only one wanting to use my full size Jeep for its original purpose! I bought it four years ago specifically for overlanding with my family. I'd have been out there sooner, but other things took (financial) priority, and after the main engine/tranny remachine and rebuilds (I've got the 401 and wanted to keep it) I was out of build money. I've been setting my pennies aside, so some tires should be coming soon and that will be enough to get me off the beaten path.

--Tim
Hi Tim! Glad you like the thread and the old Cherokee. I have driven Jeeps since 1994. My first and second Jeep were Wagoneers and then I purchased this Cherokee. Great rigs for family outings and overlanding. They ride nice, are not too big, but have plenty of room for gear if you pack right. Engines are excellent for low speed driving over rough terrain, strong drivetrains, just a pleasure to drive. The only thing bad about a Full Size is the gas mileage. I usually get 9-10mpg, but it is still cheaper than a car payment each month so keep that in mind. That 401 is probably going to be worse 7-8mpg if I were to guess. I am about ready to install a 27 gal. auxiliary tank which should give me all the range I will need.

A few points for your project. 4" lift, 31x10.5x15 tires, a electric fuel pump, and a good roof rack and you will be set for just about anything overlanding. Come and join us on the FSJeep forum http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/ .

Hope to see you on the trails soon, George.

Reactions: Tim Gregory

Tim Gregory

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Kent, WA, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Gregory
Member #

Hi Tim! Glad you like the thread and the old Cherokee. I have driven Jeeps since 1994. My first and second Jeep were Wagoneers and then I purchased this Cherokee. Great rigs for family outings and overlanding. They ride nice, are not too big, but have plenty of room for gear if you pack right. Engines are excellent for low speed driving over rough terrain, strong drivetrains, just a pleasure to drive. The only thing bad about a Full Size is the gas mileage. I usually get 9-10mpg, but it is still cheaper than a car payment each month so keep that in mind. That 401 is probably going to be worse 7-8mpg if I were to guess. I am about ready to install a 27 gal. auxiliary tank which should give me all the range I will need.

A few points for your project. 4" lift, 31x10.5x15 tires, a electric fuel pump, and a good roof rack and you will be set for just about anything overlanding. Come and join us on the FSJeep forum http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/ .

Hope to see you on the trails soon, George.
Thanks for the advice! I've been on the ifsja forum for a long time - before the Cherokee, I had an 81 J10. That project went nowhere, and I had a couple of kids, so we moved on to a 4-door. It's been tough saving up for each stage, but I think we're close to dealing with the body next. I have all the panels to replace everything, but none of the skill, so I'll be looking for a body shop that still knows metal soon.

How often does your group make runs? My dad lived in Filer, Idaho when he was a kid, then lived in Kellog after he retired. I think a road trip out there in my Cherokee (I did get to give him a ride in it before he passed a little over a year ago) might be a good first "long" trip with the wife and kids next summer. Maybe the southern route over, then up to Kellog and I-90 home, camping all the way.

Reactions: flyingnome

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
How often does your group make runs? My dad lived in Filer, Idaho when he was a kid, then lived in Kellog after he retired. I think a road trip out there in my Cherokee (I did get to give him a ride in it before he passed a little over a year ago) might be a good first "long" trip with the wife and kids next summer. Maybe the southern route over, then up to Kellog and I-90 home, camping all the way.
I try and make a run once a month, but usually it turns out to be about 9 trips a year.

Filer is a small town, I bet it was a lot smaller then. Would have been a great place to grow up though.

Sounds like a good trip in the making.

Good luck, George.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tim Gregory

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Have You Steen It?
October 4-7

Time: Boise Group 7:00am. Fields Group 12-1pm.
Meet Place:
(Boise Area Group) Chevron 5644 Buntrock Rd,
Marsing, ID 83639 Hwy 95-55 Junction.
(Other Groups) Fields General Store Motel & Gas 22276
Fields Dr, Fields, OR 97710
Destination: South Central Oregon
Estimated Duration: 4 days 3 nights
Estimated Distance: 850 miles (Boise to Boise)

This trip is 1 1/2 weeks out.

Those who want to convoy to Fields from the Boise area can meet at the Chevron at 5644 Buntrock Rd, Marsing, ID 83639, at the Hwy 95-55 Junction at 7:00am.

Fields, Oregon is our destination and others can meet us there. I am hoping to be there between 12pm and 1pm if all goes well.

So plan on lunch at Fields. I have had their milkshakes years ago so I hope they are the same. I also hear they make a mean burger.

Bring some firewood if you can. Between all of us we should have enough for the whole trip.

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
In preparation for long distance gas stops on the last two trips of the year, I finally got around to installing the old Jeep TrailBlazer auxiliary tank in the Jeep. I received this tank when I purchased the Jeep 19 years ago.... I guess it was about time.