SW Idaho Overlanding

• HTML tutorial

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
This trip is one week out! See you there, George.

A Bogus Trip?:
May 19-20, 2018
Time: 7:00am
Meet Place: Jackson's/Shell 101 E Idaho Ave, Homedale.
Destination: Owyhee High Desert
Estimated Duration: 2 day overnight
Estimated Distance: 200 Homedale (Start) to Marsing (Finish). There will be 150 miles between fuel stops, of which most will be dirt road travel.

A overnight trip into the wilds of the high desert. This trip will include quite a bit of ancient to recent history. Some lava travel will be included in this trip. If you like different road conditions, this one may be for you!

This trip will include some old stage road, supply road and military road travel as well as a few historical sites such as moonshining, cattle rustling and homesteads as well, I hope, as some petroglyphs.

The route is planned out, but as usual once you get into the back country plans and routes may be changed due to weather, private property restrictions, road conditions and/or lack of accessibility due to poor information on interested locations. Hey it is part of the adventure.

This is a overnight trip with plans to camp near water. If location can not be accessible then secondary camp sight might be primitive desert.

Road conditions will include rough two track and lava and possible steep areas. I have traveled some of the roads, but not all. I will say that good tires will be needed due to rocky roads and some lava travel. High clearance 4x4 will be needed for some portions of this trip.

This is not a guided tour and all who attend are ultimately responsible for their own safety. I am not responsible for damage, injury and or death. You partake under your own free will knowing the dangers of such activities.

See you on the Trails, George.

Reactions: OffroadTreks

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Looks like the weather is clearing up nicely for the weekend. 75 degree day, 46 degree night, 6 mph winds, Sounds like a great weekend in the making.

Reactions: Randy P

Boone

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Orting Washington
Member #

FLASHBACK!-Succor Creek and Leslie Gulch Part 1.

This was a trip from 2015 and my first attempt at doing some film editing for YouTube. It had a sucky one track repetitious song that played with it. Hey it was my first attempt and the editor was free, but very limited. So I pulled it back out and redid the sound track with music from freemusicarchive.org .

A funny thing about this trip is that later I would meet up with a person that put on the Land of Mordor trip 2 years later (See Land of Mordor video below). We had actually been conversing from time to time on another forum, and in looking around in some older forum threads, I found that he was camped in Leslie Gulch the same day we drove in on this trip. Crossing each others paths just feet away from each other and never knew it. Funny how life works out that way. See you on the trails George.

Nice to see some pics and vids of my old stomping grounds! As a kid my folks owned a cattle ranch in the succor creek valley. I remember "overlanding" on horse back hunting rattle snakes at 7 years old! [emoji23] In fact that was one of the first places I took my now wife after a trip to the Jordan valley big loop!

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Nice to see some pics and vids of my old stomping grounds! As a kid my folks owned a cattle ranch in the succor creek valley. I remember "overlanding" on horse back hunting rattle snakes at 7 years old! [emoji23] In fact that was one of the first places I took my now wife after a trip to the Jordan valley big loop!

That is too cool! Glad you enjoyed the video.
I was just passed through Jordan Valley yesterday coming back from the "A Bogus Trip?" trip. Their was a rodeo going on there and the place was hopping.

Boone

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Orting Washington
Member #

That is too cool! Glad you enjoyed the video.
I was just passed through Jordan Valley yesterday coming back from the "A Bogus Trip?" trip. Their was a rodeo going on there and the place was hopping.
I love it! I'm currently in the puget sound region but actively searching for work back in that area. If we make it back this summer like we're planning to we should set something up! I know some great areas the other side of the gulch, like twin springs, dry creek or Watson.

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
I love it! I'm currently in the puget sound region but actively searching for work back in that area. If we make it back this summer like we're planning to we should set something up! I know some great areas the other side of the gulch, like twin springs, dry creek or Watson.

That would be cool. I have been looking at planning a trip out to dry creek maybe next year. Been into Watson twice now. Cool places for sure.

Yes, I would love to talk to someone that knows that area better than I do. I know this side pretty well, but have not ventured very far on the west side. Let me know when your in town again. George.

Boone

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Orting Washington
Member #

That would be cool. I have been looking at planning a trip out to dry creek maybe next year. Been into Watson twice now. Cool places for sure.

Yes, I would love to talk to someone that knows that area better than I do. I know this side pretty well, but have not ventured very far on the west side. Let me know when your in town again. George.
Will do, be nice to have a fellow overlander to wheel with. My wife and I both grew up on those east Oregon dirt roads. Looking forward to showing it all to my son

Reactions: GHCOE

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Alvord/Steens Oct 4-7, 2018

Been working on a route today.

Day 1 Thursday 4th: Since everyone will be driving in Thursday I am thinking a short trip to look at Borax Hot Springs and then the Alvord Fort site (as best as I can tell). Then over to the Alvord Desert to spend the first night. Alvord Hot Springs is in the area if anyone is interested in a soak in the evening. I believe it is a pay area now.

Day 2 Friday 5th: A full day of travel to check out a few sites in the area. Mickey Hot Springs. Interesting, but again too hot to get in. Alberson Station (ruins), Tudor Barn (ruins), Folly Farm (ruins), and Malheur Cave. Then over to the Narrows for another fuel stop and lunch, if we make it in time. After fueling up the plan is to head south to Diamond Craters, Pete French Round Barn, Diamond (town) and then to Frenchglen area for Saturday night. There are two campgrounds in the area. Steens Mountain Wilderness Resort and Page Spring Campground. The resort is a pay site, I am not sure about the campground.

Day 3 Saturday 6th: Travel the Steens Mountain Loop and head back towards Fields. There are a couple of sites I would like to hit if time permits on the way. Probably another night on the Alvord.

Day 4 Sunday 7th: Say our goodbyes and head home.

Notes: Day two is a pretty ambitious day. If I feel we are running out of time I will delete the Craters, barn, Diamond loop to get us back on track.
Total mileage of the loop from Fields to Fields is 345 miles. From Fields to the Narrows is 160 miles and from the Narrows to Fields is 186 miles so plan fuel around these numbers. These are the only two dependable stations to fuel up in the area. Frenchglen is said to have fuel from time to time, but is iffy.
The Fields-Denio Road is know to be hard on tires. Street tires are not recommended on this road.
The Fields-Denio Road, Diamond Crater Road and the Steens Mountain Loop Road are the only portions of the trip that will have long durations of travel on dirt. There are a few side trips that will be short sections of dirt.
Gas is getting expensive and it will probably be even more expensive at the Narrows and Fields.

Ok. Hope this is informative enough to help you out with your planning. This is not set in concrete so if anyone has ideas or questions feel free to ask. See you on the trails George.

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
I mentioned on the Mordor Thread that it has been postponed. Forgot to mention it here. So if you were planning on going it has been cancelled and rescheduled for September 13-16. Sorry for any inconvenience, George.

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
467:
July 28-29, 2018
Time: 7:00am
Meet Place: WinCo Foods 3032 E State St, Eagle, ID 83616
Destination: Boise National Forest
Estimated Duration: 2 day overnight
Estimated Distance: 250 miles

SW Idaho is heading into the forest! This will be a round trip, overnighter, into the Boise National forest. This trip will also include a 10 mile senic Jeep trail.

The Jeep trail is 10 miles long and includes some rocky sections and stream crossings. I included a couple of videos of this trail so you can see if you want to partake in this adventure. Make sure your tires are up to the task!

The rest of the trip should be mostly good to fair forest road.

Camp location will be picked as we go and will depend on size of group.

This trip could possibly be a day trip if you just want to tag along for the Jeep trail portion.

This is not a guided tour and all who attend are ultimately responsible for their own safety. I am not responsible for damage, injury and or death. You partake under your own free will knowing the dangers of such activities.

See you on the Trails, George.

Jeckel

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Hi George, Watched some of your vids yesterday. Got me a little excited to start getting my truck ready to go. If you know any local f150 guys, let me know. I could use some advice. Great vids!

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Hi George, Watched some of your vids yesterday. Got me a little excited to start getting my truck ready to go. If you know any local f150 guys, let me know. I could use some advice. Great vids!
Glad you liked the videos!

I have had a couple F series out with me, but in both cases they where pretty much stock. To be honest you don't really need much to get started. Going in groups is nice because someone probably has what you need if you need it. Then you can add that to your list.

There is a trip coming up July 28-29 (info two posts up). If you think your tires are up to the trails throw your camp gear in and head out with us. We would be more than happy to have you with us.

See you on the trails, George.

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Another Flashback video from September 2014. Remember there is a trip scheduled in two weeks. See you on the trails, George.