Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Life goal, to have so much money, and give so few F***s that I can take a brand new Subaru off roading and just see what it can do...
That was a great video to watch, but kinda crossed the line from testing capabilities to just senseless abuse...
Yeah, that last obstacle felt a little more like "crashing down a hill" than "a controlled descent over rough terrain." Haha.

In any case, I've been making some good progress on the Rav!

Got my tow hooks built: when connected together through a rope and pulley, they should handle anything I need. My engine bay gear is a little better situate, with the hi-lift base and body, lift-mate, and winching chains all stored under the hood to distribute the weight around the vehicle. My hi-lift beam and handle are now mounted on the roof. And, a full ReadyLift 2" lift is on the way! I'll probably post a full write-up once I get the lift on and get a chance to actually use the vehicle on a trail or two.
20190605_193529-800x600.jpg

Last edited:

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

That’s why I cut all my bumpers and made new ones
Link to build thread????

Also, my wife drives our TRDP 4Runner, and part of the reason I didnt buy myself another 4Runner was because I knew I'd spend thousands modifying it. But mow, here I am $2,000 in with several more things on the list, and now you really aren't helpijg!

Last edited:
Reactions: Overland_Mitsu

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

So, I ordered a full-sized, non-matching spare tire and cheap steel wheel this morning. I walk out to leave and have a flat...

Once I finally got that taken care of, I ordered a new set of Goodyear Duratracs and matching 5th wheel so I could run a matching full-sized spare. I am now going from a fatter 30.1"(255/70R16) tire to a narrower 30.4" tire (215/85R16), because a 215 is the widest that will fit under the cargo area.

I wasn't expecting to spend another $800 today--though I'll get maybe 400-500 back once I sell the current barely-used tires and the factory donut. But, I am excited about going a little taller on the tires, having a more aggressive tread, and having a complete matching wheelset. I'll post up pics next weekend when I get the tires and lift on!

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Not sure where you got that. The hitch is rated for 4,000lbs.

Would I use it to snatch a jeep stuck to the bumpers in a mud bog? Of course not. Though, performing such a recovery, I'd bet $1,000 that I'd snap a CV or otherwise damage my just-a-car's driveline before even coming close to actually ripping the receiver out (or even causing permanent damage to it).

However, could it handle me hand-winching myself out of a rain-slicked ditch, snow bank, or deeper-than-expected sand? Absolutely.
Caution is the word. The 4K# rating is based on towing a 4K# trailer on a road. Seems like you understand that concept but many think you can hang a vehicle from the trailer hitch. I'd still recommend the factory tow point for recovery.

Reactions: Lindenwood

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Life goal, to have so much money, and give so few F***s that I can take a brand new Subaru off roading and just see what it can do...
That was a great video to watch, but kinda crossed the line from testing capabilities to just senseless abuse...
Is that a rental or were those dealer plates. Just wow eh. Dumb & dumber.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

This guy does it in 2WD with an old Crown Vic.... without damage.

Reactions: TSO_NJ

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

To his credit, he didn't get stuck! lol

I hear what you're saying though. I would never do that to my CR-V, and it's 20 years old and cost $1800 off craigslist

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Crown Vics are fully bad ass, I really miss my P71. I keep telling my wife they can be had for cheap and make great family cars. She doesnt even argue with me anymore, she just shows me the picture of mine wrapped around a telephone pole and leaves it at that, lol.

deeve

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hillsboro, OR, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1PNW
That was pretty impressive what that Crosstrek would do. The bumpers certainly were the weak point but other than that pretty darn good.

8yearsglobal

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

?
First Name
Bronson
Last Name
Mills
Member #

We learned some very valuable lessons about vehicle size while camping with a few other travelers along Riviera Maya a week ago. The first two couples were heading towards Alaska after exploring Asia, Europe and Africa for 3-4 years. The young German couple was in a small 1998 VW minivan, the 79 year old South African couple, in a single cab, short bed, 2002 Toyota Hilux with a bed cover and RTT. Then we camped with a family of 4 (2 teenage daughters) from Argentina who were taking a year to drive to Alaska driving a 5' bed Colorado with homemade pop up camper. All of these vehicles had decent stock ground clearance, short wheelbase, 4wd/AWD and completely self fabricated gear. All were 4cyl diesels that were extremely fuel efficient (35-43mpg). They all advised that with the smaller vehicles had these advantages: (1) They were able to access more places than a larger vehicle (2) They had less problems with reliability by not carrying too much weight (3) Parts are available globally for their vehicles (unlike many American full sized vehicles) (4) They wouldn't have been able to afford their trips if they had a larger vehicle, but small cars are cheaper to purchase, repair and service, fuel is more expensive in other countries where fuel is not subsidized, tolls are 1/2 the price for small vehicles, they pay less in import fees when crossing borders, and shipping across waterways can be 1/2 the cost for small vehicles.

For $5,000, you can buy a compact vehicle just reliable and capable enough to travel across a couple continents. Isuzus and Mitsubishis have almost been completely forgotten in this country so they are cheap and they are extremely popular everywhere else in the world. $10,000 on top of that is just enough cash to support you and a sidekick (or in my case family) for a year of amazing experiences in these less expensive countries. If you think about, $15,000 is what some people lose by driving a new vehicle off the lot! Once the cash runs dry you might just have to sell the little vehicle to someone on a return trip to buy yourselves a flight back, so you can get your lazy touring butts back to work to pay for the next trip!

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Good points all around. One vehicle I absolutely love the look of, and which is reported to be very reliable and capable out of the box is the Isuzu Trooper. Just big enough, but not too big.

8yearsglobal

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

?
First Name
Bronson
Last Name
Mills
Member #

Good points all around. One vehicle I absolutely love the look of, and which is reported to be very reliable and capable out of the box is the Isuzu Trooper. Just big enough, but not too big.
Definately. I was surprised when I found a Trooper with 56k miles for under $6k yesterday in the states. If our family didn't need that extra 2' of storage of a Nissan Frontier short bed I would buy one. I'm just excited that I could convince the wife and kid that we sould downsize from the ambo for South America. It was great for Canada, US and Mexico but were going to want a smaller vehicle as we head south.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Isuzus are great, Im a big fan and have owned 5 over the years (3 pickups, a 78, a 79, and an 80 all with 1.8s and 2 Troopers, an 86 with a 2.3, and a 90 with a 2.6) but unfortunately they have little to no support in North America anymore, last set of regular service parts I needed for the old 1980 1.8L I seriously had to order from Japan. Napa has discontinued all parts for any pre 81 Isuzu. But it should be said that Chevy Colorado is actually based off of an Isuzu chassis, and of course all of GMs current diesel engines are a result of a close partnership with Isuzu.
Isuzu has a great and very sad history, essentially they started making products so good that they were embarrassing GM, who was their owner from the mid 80s to 2003 or 04. The second gen Impulse was an amazing car, it out performed the Camaro in every way, got twice the fuel millage and cost half as much. They only made that car for 2 years before politics forced them to massively detune it in every way and sell it as the Geo Storm. Then in the early 2000s basically all of the really good engineers and designers left for Subaru. That was really good for Subaru as it helped them become what they are today, but it really sealed the deal for Isuzu. Honestly once GM had controlling stock of them in the mid 80s thier quality started going down hill. They were pushed to meet higher production numbers and to do so they cut corners. One of the biggest issues was the cylinder heads on the 2.3L and 2.6L engines are notorious for cracking and warping, even under normal service. The 2.2L turbo diesels are also known for knocking out bottom ends. Then the V6s were known for drinking oil for a variety of reasons, all stemming back to poor design. Isuzu actually released a memo for the 3.2L stating that 1 quart of consumption per 1500 miles was acceptable. Then there was the real cherry on top, they speced a GM 4L30E transmission, wich is a car transmission and as such transmission failures in the V6 powered Isuzus are common place at around 150K.
Isuzus really are great, but they had some very serious issues, especially at the end. As such even though it pains me to say, you are much better served with Toyota.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Tell me about those Duratracs on the highway? How are they running 70 mph on the Interstate?
They're loud as shit....

This new gen Rav is already not a quiet vehicle, but these tires are almost as loud as the Treadwright Guard Dogs I had on my Samurai. My wife's Milestar Patagonia MTs on her 4Runner are notably quieter.

Honestly I think the only benefit to these tires is they are probably a bit longer-wearing than most other very aggressive off-road tires, and have reportedly good winter traction relative to ATs. But, if you are looking for a street / weekend warrior tire that wont see huge rocks or mud bogs, I probably would not recommend these simply due to the noise.

I had already been considering a sound-deadening project, but this is really pushing me in that direction. So, that said, once that is complete, I might really like thse tires, heh.

Last edited:

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

My build thread!