First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I'd say No, Even my TJ I feel is bigger than "small"
This might be the biggest pickup for "small"
View attachment 138297

Should probably call this thread Micro Overlanding
to be honest a TJ is smaller inside than most "small" vehicles I have a compass that I have for longer trips and daily driving but I would still consider it bigger than my LJ, same with the patriot i had before it. of course its all relative. I do feel that a TJ in stock form would be a small vehicle.

on the other hand I did more backpacking and minimalist camping before I started using a vehicle to get me places.
I can fit most of my gear into a backpack and the rest of the space can be used for food or wood. hiking/backpacking gear is awesome for space saving when using a small vehicle.
1580692284701.png

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
All of my gear is selected based off of my backpacking experience as well. It helps keep weight down and space open.
Also to add, quite frankly my Escape is bigger than my TJ in about every dimension. So like I said before, I think this thread anymore has more to do with underestimated and underrepresented rigs than physical size.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I guess I will be joining this group. Downsized from my 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk to a 2012 Ford Escape. No mods yet as I'm taking care of the maintenance items first.

Scott
Scott, You were a member anyways with the Cherokee! ha ha. How come the change? didn't like the trailhawk? I am still a member too with the patriot. It's getting built up this spring.

Rivmage

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

First Name
Scott
Last Name
Bobrik
Member #

Scott, You were a member anyways with the Cherokee! ha ha. How come the change? didn't like the trailhawk? I am still a member too with the patriot. It's getting built up this spring.
About two years ago, I was out of work for 10 months. I thought I would be able to recover but not making enough to put a dent in my debt so, traded in my jeep which was paid off for two vehicles and cash. Sold the other vehicle that had a loan on it to free up money.

It was hard selling the jeep but it was for the best.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
About two years ago, I was out of work for 10 months. I thought I would be able to recover but not making enough to put a dent in my debt so, traded in my jeep which was paid off for two vehicles and cash. Sold the other vehicle that had a loan on it to free up money.

It was hard selling the jeep but it was for the best.
Yeah, I have been in the exact same situation. I had to sell A crap load of stuff a few years back, including my previous Jk unlimited, 3 motorcycles, 4 snowmobiles, my F150 and our nissan micra just to keep my family a float while my business was failing. It was hard on me. Still it to tell you the truth. However, I am pulling back out of it. I think we are going to sell our big house and move to something more simple to give us more time for travel, and me more free to work from home/garage without drowning. The escape is an awesome little rig.

Rivmage

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

First Name
Scott
Last Name
Bobrik
Member #

Yeah, I have been in the exact same situation. I had to sell A crap load of stuff a few years back, including my previous Jk unlimited, 3 motorcycles, 4 snowmobiles, my F150 and our nissan micra just to keep my family a float while my business was failing. It was hard on me. Still it to tell you the truth. However, I am pulling back out of it. I think we are going to sell our big house and move to something more simple to give us more time for travel, and me more free to work from home/garage without drowning. The escape is an awesome little rig.
That's why we moved away from Denver to a little town in Missouri. Now we have 7acres, goats, chickens and ducks. We sell at the l ok cal Farmer's market. A little bit more relaxed.

• Love
Reactions: Billiebob

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I was, until I opened my last business. I was providing powdercoating, painting and small engine services for my local area. I had a quarter of a million dollars sunk into my equipement. People in my town would rather pay to ship it to a town 4 hrs away, pay more and not support me. It's the way here in my town. They would rather see you starve than support you. Terrible way to live. Even people who I gave millions of dollars worth of work to when I was in commerical construction, stiffed me money. So, I sold the equipement for pennies on the dollar and closed up shop.

• Angry
Reactions: Sierrahotel83

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

So what have all the XUV people been doing lately?
Sold my crossover almost a year ago, bought a factory lowered hatchback in febuary because I needed a cheap car, am thinking about selling that and buying another crossover in a year as driving a lowered car on low profile tires (205/40-17) with a bad back is torture on roadtrips for me.

Reactions: Dayman

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Here are some better pics reflecting the overland-centric roof layout. I will be adding a 3rd case onto the roof to ensure we have enough room to sleep in the vehicle without having to move anything but the cooler.

Polish_20210108_173152401.jpgPolish_20210107_072143230.jpg

Next major mods include slightly beefier tires (30.5x9.5, up from 30.5x8.5) and custom rear springs / spring seats.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Just found this thread, I hope this counts for a small vehicle haha. Definitely looking for tips and trick on space management.

View attachment 183193 View attachment 183194
I absolutely LOVE that generation of Tracker. I almost bought one when I was first looking for a 4x4. It was between that and my CR-V. The Tracker had an oil leak and some rust, unfortunately, so I went with the V. It's all about space efficiency when it comes to these little rigs. Carefully consider what gear you take and don't take anything that doesn't actually add value.

Reactions: bawesomfels