SVO ....Small Vehicle Overlanding

• HTML tutorial

jeepwillikers

Rank I

Traveler I

I am currently wrapping up a 2 week trip in my TJ Wrangler and I am running through my gear thinking about what I used and it’s usefulness vs volume/weight efficiency. I’m probably going to write a longer post going though item by item and sharing my thoughts and experience.
I’m interested to know if anyone else posting to this thread has similar information based on their experience and whether I should post it to this thread or start a new thread related to this one?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

I am currently wrapping up a 2 week trip in my TJ Wrangler and I am running through my gear thinking about what I used and it’s usefulness vs volume/weight efficiency. I’m probably going to write a longer post going though item by item and sharing my thoughts and experience.
I’m interested to know if anyone else posting to this thread has similar information based on their experience and whether I should post it to this thread or start a new thread related to this one?

I am in on this, I am always trying to refine what I need and what I don't

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Salvat

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Texas
Member #

For those with the sparewheel on the roof, maybe the sparewheelwell would be a usefull place to store things?
I’m hopefully close to putting my spare on a rear hatch tire carrier, so I will end up freeing up my spare wheel well. I have been thinking about what to use it for. Storage is an obvious possibility, but I have also been thinking of an extra fuel tank. The range of my Jeep Renegade is horrid. Stock, the Renegade gets pretty decent gas mileage. This means it doesn’t really need a huge fuel tank, so it is about the size of a thimble. Ok not really but it feels like it sometimes. With the Overland mods (wheels, lift, roof accessories) my gas mileage has plummeted. This leaves the “thimble” sized fuel tank being a serious issue. Just last week while in AZ I had to use my Jerry Can of fuel and still rolled into a gas station with the low fuel light on. Some of that was poor route planning and unusual circumstance. A storm knocked out power for 100sq miles so gas options were very limited. All that said, has anybody thought of fitting a spare tank in their small sized rig?

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I’m hopefully close to putting my spare on a rear hatch tire carrier, so I will end up freeing up my spare wheel well. I have been thinking about what to use it for. Storage is an obvious possibility, but I have also been thinking of an extra fuel tank. The range of my Jeep Renegade is horrid. Stock, the Renegade gets pretty decent gas mileage. This means it doesn’t really need a huge fuel tank, so it is about the size of a thimble. Ok not really but it feels like it sometimes. With the Overland mods (wheels, lift, roof accessories) my gas mileage has plummeted. This leaves the “thimble” sized fuel tank being a serious issue. Just last week while in AZ I had to use my Jerry Can of fuel and still rolled into a gas station with the low fuel light on. Some of that was poor route planning and unusual circumstance. A storm knocked out power for 100sq miles so gas options were very limited. All that said, has anybody thought of fitting a spare tank in their small sized rig?

Out of curiosity, what kind of mileage did you get with your Renegade before mods versus after? What was the range before and after?

If it makes you feel any better, those of us with Jeep TJs don't get a ton of range either - 19 gallon tank * ~14 mpg = ~266 miles until the engine dies and you're walking... Typically, my light comes on between 200-240 miles.

Salvat

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Texas
Member #

Out of curiosity, what kind of mileage did you get with your Renegade before mods versus after? What was the range before and after?

If it makes you feel any better, those of us with Jeep TJs don't get a ton of range either - 19 gallon tank * ~14 mpg = ~266 miles until the engine dies and you're walking... Typically, my light comes on between 200-240 miles.
Before mods I would get between 25&30 mpg fairly easy. Now it’s quite a struggle to get 18mpg. Range now depends on a lot of things. Wind really kicks my butt as does the slightest incline. 250miles on one tank would be a good day, but I have had the fuel light come on at about 175 before. At that time I had all mods plus a fully loaded roof rack.

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Before mods I would get between 25&30 mpg fairly easy. Now it’s quite a struggle to get 18mpg. Range now depends on a lot of things. Wind really kicks my butt as does the slightest incline. 250miles on one tank would be a good day, but I have had the fuel light come on at about 175 before. At that time I had all mods plus a fully loaded roof rack.

Wow, I'm surprised it dropped so much. What mods are you all running? I'm shocked that you lost up to 40% of your fuel economy.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Its really cool to see people talking about using smaller and cross over SUVs for exploration. I recently sold my 86 Toyota (bobbed and locked, thing was a beast) out of necessity (hard to take kids and the dog anywhere in a 2 seat pickup ya know) and currently drive a 2005 Ford Escape. I have had it up some gnarly trails (places where even my locked Toyota needed 4x4) and it did alright, really impressed me. Basically the only mod I have done is fit slightly larger more off roadish tires. I really think people overlook the "non off road" SUVs and kinda miss out because of it. I will honestly say that there is nothing I did with my Toyota that the Escape hasnt also done. I know not all are like me, but most dont use the full capability of a rig and think they need more than they actually do.

Brewddha

Rank I

Contributor III

Cool to discover this thread and see all the smaller rigs. My wife and I are just getting started in this hobby and are starting small, as it were. We have an Outback and a Mazda CX-5 currently. The Outback is newer and a lease so we'll be gentle with it, but planning on equipping the older CX-5 with a few goodies to get it in the spirit of the hobby and make it a reliable companion for some treks. May even post a picture of it someday, who knows!

Anyway, thanks for the inspiration! Looking forward to getting a little deeper into this and learning as we go on our small rig.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I drive a 99 CR-V pictured in my avatar, and I absolutely love it. I'm in a very similar situation to you in that my daily commute is very long and I can't afford to ensure two vehicles with the insane gas and insurance prices we face out here on the left coast of Canada. Also, BC is spiderwebbed with millions of kms of very narrow forestry tracks, and a small, agile, narrow tracked vehicle is a huge bonus on a lot of forest tracks up here. I've managed to turn around in the middle of a super narrow mountain road where something like a Tacoma and a 4Runner would have had to back down 500m or so of steep terrain. The narrow track width, only 60 inches (same as a full size UTV), lets me pick some lines that a big 4x4 couldn't and thus make up for some of the CRV's natural shortcomings. The geometry is pretty good, and I plan to improve it with an OME 2" lift and Bilstein shocks.

Last edited:

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Cool to discover this thread and see all the smaller rigs. My wife and I are just getting started in this hobby and are starting small, as it were. We have an Outback and a Mazda CX-5 currently. The Outback is newer and a lease so we'll be gentle with it, but planning on equipping the older CX-5 with a few goodies to get it in the spirit of the hobby and make it a reliable companion for some treks. May even post a picture of it someday, who knows!

Anyway, thanks for the inspiration! Looking forward to getting a little deeper into this and learning as we go on our small rig.
If you ever get a non lease Subaru there are a few outfits that make lift kits for em. I used to hang out with some off road Subaru guys when I was in Tacoma, it genuinely surprised me what those things can do. That was also when I learned some of the old Subies had a dual range transfer case.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Well They took my offer and I've now got a Baja! Needs a bit of fixin up but I think she's gonna make a fine overlander
How epic would it be to fit that thing with some kind of lightweight pop-up camper? She'd be the belle of the ball at any overland rally! :D

Brewddha

Rank I

Contributor III

If you ever get a non lease Subaru there are a few outfits that make lift kits for em. I used to hang out with some off road Subaru guys when I was in Tacoma, it genuinely surprised me what those things can do. That was also when I learned some of the old Subies had a dual range transfer case.
Yes, I must confess to having spent some time looking at websites like Primitive's and scoping out some lift kits and armor. [emoji16] Seems there are quite a few parts for them, and they certainly seem to be very capable.

We took to Subaru out on a little trek last weekend, and aside from the usual seat discomfort we always experience in it (for some reason the seats in that thing disagree with both of our behinds), it did terrific and was great on the gravel and dirt and occasional rocky stuff, as you'd expect. A pretty good first outing for us!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk