Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lakeland, fl
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Sardone
Member #

@Joey83 I've always liked that platform. It came with a real 4wd (even though they call it awd) and its like taking a VW GTI into the woods because they are so agile. I have been heavily debating getting an old Sorento because of this. Your looks really good, tastefully done so far.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
No pics, but a friend of mine did this last summer. She did a 2 week nation park tour in her 07 Toyota YARIS. She mostly tent camped, but she DID have the ability via a specially designed inflatable mattress she bought to sleep in the rear seat.

The car is getting old though, so she's currently looking for a used 5th gen T4R that's not stupid money. Unfortunately those don't seem to exist.

btedesign

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lakeland, fl
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Sardone
Member #

Question, I am considering a rooftop tent for the Kia Soul. My concern is making it top heavy. Thoughts?

Reactions: Luis Merlo

jeepwillikers

Rank I

Traveler I

TJ driver here, so it’s small but probably not what this thread means by small... all I know is the with my wife and I and our dog on trips, space is at a premium. We have to overland with a bit of a backpacking mentality. It’s a Rubicon so it takes me wherever I ask it to as long as I keep the gas flowing.... (16mpg and dropping with every accessory I bolt to the exterior)

My cousin had a 1st gen RAV4 a few years back that would have been perfect for this thread, I’ll have to see if I can dig up a photo or two. It had a 2” Old Man Emu lift and we stuffed some 235/75r15 KM2s under it. That car was so much fun. The first gen RAV4 was built on the Celica platform and it showed. You could throw that thing around like a rally car or bomb it over whoops better than any Wrangler out there. It struggled in terrain that required a lifted tire or two but as long as it had traction on all four wheels it was unstoppable.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

RayRay04

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Chestertown, Maryland, USA
First Name
Ray
Last Name
Ray
Member #

Tom-Tom GPS, Handy torch, Fire extinguisher , Basic tool box , First aid pouches (molle), grounded antenna base, 2 x 12 volt and 2x USB ports to rear of console, headlamp doubles as additional rear cargo light, went with ROH steel 15" rims to accommodate 65 series tires,

View attachment 3855 View attachment 3856 View attachment 3857 View attachment 3858 View attachment 3859 View attachment 3860 View attachment 3861 View attachment 3862 View attachment 3863 View attachment 3864
Fine job on making use of what you have available, perhaps I may use some of your ideas in my Subaru. Thanks.

F-Bobby

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Watertown Mass
Member #

Anyone go old school and try something like the 2 door AWD AMC Eagles? Excellent ground clearance, low center of gravity and short wheel base, not sure on mpg though.

or the 4 door version

Yeah I am an stuck in the past :(.

My 1958 fc-170 build in progress is a 103" wheel base factory so that puts it in the SVO category as its shorter than a Jeep compass or kia sportage. But I'll bow out as it has a 9 ft bed so storage isn't an issue.
HA! I always thought these might make a decent little offroader. But I'd be worried about finding parts for them (even basic suspension stuff if things were to break)